BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Most appealing looking games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a list somewhere? Obviously any game that are too abstract are out. Also I'm not interested in wargames.

Obviously this is subjective, but looking at something like Formula D, the boards, the little cars just look fun (regardless of the mechanic). On the other hand, Carcassonne is just too flat, and the meeples lack detail.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Thebes looks quite appealing, as does Shogun.
Primordial Soup has a colourful cuteness factor to it and Downfall of Pompeii has the volcano you can through the victims into bwahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are you trying to appeal to, and in what context?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Agricola and pimp it... there are a lot of choices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth
Taluva
Agricola
Arkadia
Torres
Doubles Wild
Pente
Quits
Ubongo
Wordrop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Jamaica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:
Obviously any game that are too abstract are out.

Why is this obvious? Have you ever seen a high end goban?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
Obviously any game that are too abstract are out.

Why is this obvious? Have you ever seen a high end goban?

It's true that you can get a hand-crafted mother-of-pearl inlaid chess set or something, but that's not what I'm after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Do you like the toy factor in Formula DE? If so, my favorite game for toy bits is Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), but if the length is too much for you Galactic Emperor has some cute toy ships too and is a faster play.

For just flat out pretty I would probably go with Indonesia but since this is about aesthetics that one is gonna vary a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Your name really Mike Hunt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niagara and Emerald come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dutch printing of Princes of Florence is gorgeous; I also love the 3d Settlers of Catan I received as a gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of Days of Wonder's games are big in the eye candy department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium & Starcraft I find both visually appealing.

I personally love CMGs for the miniature figures, but that depends where your interests lie. Star Wars, Dungeons & Dragons, comic super hero's all their CMG with some great looking minis. Personally I like the Doctor Who minis, shame the game sucks. Another game visually appealing to me right now is Monsterpocalypse, yet another CMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:
Is there a list somewhere? Obviously any game that are too abstract are out. Also I'm not interested in wargames.

Obviously this is subjective, but looking at something like Formula D, the boards, the little cars just look fun (regardless of the mechanic). On the other hand, Carcassonne is just too flat, and the meeples lack detail.

Any thoughts?

Monsterpocalypse is one of the most visually appealing games that I know of and lots of fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siena, Stone Age, Caylus, Cleo & Society...
The game board in Siena is a reproduction of a 14th century Italian mural painting: "In the year 1338 the Siena’s Town Council charged the famous artist Ambrogio Lorenzetti to paint a fresco showing the town and its commerce. You will play the game above the painting that he made." Even the cards are details from the painting.

Very cool theme about being a social climber - you start out as a peasant, and with work and luck, you become a merchant buying and selling goods, and finally you reach the pinnacle of your dreams and become a rich banker strolling htrough the town center of Siena...

- some people actually frame the game board!!!

- the agricultural/production half of the board

- the town center part of the board

- some of the cards

I also like the game board and components of Stone Age - the main game board and the player boards look bright and "happy" feeling. It's nice to think of these prehistoric people living in s such a bright and attractive place... Everything's easy to identify. The components, including the meeples, and resources such as wood, clay, gold, etc, are also real nice - they look and feel nice and easy to distinguish from each other. The cards and building tiles in the game are nice too and get across their info in an easy to understand manner. And then there's the nice leather dice cup included too. All in all, a nice production.

- the game board and components in action!

- player board - your meeples can hang out by the campfire...

- I dig it that the meeples have a curly hairdo like mine. It helps me to relate, mon...

I also really like the look of the Caylus gameboard - but then I'm biased about Caylus, as it is my number one game...

The Caylus gameboard is also bright, with easy to identify, and I like how the building up the town follows a road - gives the game a nice visual sense of progression as the game proceeds. And the bailiff marching down the road to keep everyone going, enhances this sense of progression.

The little wood resource cubes are great colors becuase they are easy to distinguish from each, the the player's houses are fine too. The building tiles are workmanlike - not beautiful, but still nice looking and functional. The only component I dishlike are the round worker rods which can roll away and cause all sorts of havoc!

- some of the building tiles

- the different types of wood bits...

And then of course, there's the limited edition of Caylus with artwork and design by Mike Doyle...

very dramatic with the gilt metallic ink against the dark background of the game board. Has a medieval look to it that the regualr edition of Caylus lacks. The mtal coins are very nice too. One thing I don;t like about limited edition is the wood resource cubes - the colors are hard to distinquich from one another. So we use the cubes from the regular edition of Caylus when playing with the limited edition.

I like playing with both versions. Oddly, the gameplay feels a little different because of the look of the components!

And of course, if you dig lots of plastic peices with plenty of architectural detail, there's Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, the epitome of plastic chrome~!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects seems like an obvious addition to this list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
thelawnet wrote:

What do you consider attractive? What qualities and attributes appeal to you? The answers to those questions also answer the question you're asking. No, it is not obvious that abstracts are out. It is also not obvious that high colour saturated depictions of bucolic idylls, voluptuous women in metal bikinis or renditions of respected classical art pieces are either valued or out either.

Still, I'll give my votes for first edition Reef Encounter (with Key Harvest running up behind), Carcassonne (the flatness and lack of detail you decry are positives for me), 1st or 2nd Edition Age of Steam (miltary-utility design-aesthetics rendered art), 3rd edition is not attractive to me), Amigo's version of Wizard, 1848 (an unusually attractive 18xx) and Kaivai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Timber Tom is a little-known game, but it has great components! The pieces and board are all very cartoony and playful, it's a joy to look at! I have not played the game itself, yet, but will this weekend. The gameplay looks like great fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What, no Busen Memo suggestion yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11505 for a full list of flashy games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Stogiannos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of Lamont brothers games are very aesthetically pleasing. Check out Shear Panic, or Hameln or Antler Island. I have Shear Panic and I must tell you the pictures do not do justice to the components. Then on the same Euro tip you might want to consider some of Zoch Verlag releases, such as Bausack (Bandu), or Bamboleo (there are several more). Mind you they also make "big" versions for some of their games which look really impressive. Finally I must also mention a personal favorite of mine, Fearsome Floors, the modular monster design does it every time. A blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery at Barnes&Noble for $22 (what a steal!). This is one beautiful looking game, and it's dripping with theme! (Hint: there is %50 off sale on games going on at BN right now, and another %15 off email coupon, and another %10 off if you have membership).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Unfried
United States
California
flag msg tools
thelawnet wrote:

Any thoughts?

Candyland, Chutes and Laders, Poker, Life,Pirates of the Spanish Main, and Star Wars Risk! These games are wonderful! No I'm kidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:
Obviously any game that are too abstract are out. Also I'm not interested in wargames.
Obviously, we have opposite tastes in which types of games look most appealing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.