Dustin Jessup
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
HMS St Lawrence
mbmbmbmbmb
About a year ago I purchased Landships! from my FLGS, and so I punched it out, bagged all the chits and placed it on the shelf. Which is where it has sat until last night.

Having finally had my fill of C&C:A, I cleared it off the dining table and headed to the basement to grab another game. I am not sure what exactly spurred me to take L! from the shelf (as I intended on giving CoH a try) but I did... and I am glad I did!

Taking a brief look through the rulebook, I decided to jump right in and set up a scenario. I choose the "Scent of Spring" scenario as the use of poison gas looked (morbidly) intriguing.

So after getting all my units placed, the Germans got to go first and unleashed the gas against the French line... and it hit hard! After muddling my way through the artillery rules, over half the allied squads lay dead and the rest pinned.

At least the French received a little satisfaction when the Germans blew the whistles and went over the top into no mans land. As per the scenario rules all the hexes between the trench lines are mined, not a great chance of an out right kill but the germans did loose 2 squads this way and a few more pinned.

It was at that point I decided to stop, but I can certainly see why the allies receive so many reinforcements on Turn 2.

I am sure I missed lots of things with my first outing, so I plan to play the quickstart scenario tonight and see how that one goes. All in all though it is a very enjoyable game, and I can see it being a fixture on the dining table for some time to come. Of course, much to the chagrin of my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
Hi. i'd be interested to know if there was ever a follow-up to this session. I have approached this game again and am using experiences gained from other tactical games to modify the rules slightly. I have always wanted to like this as I am interested in the sort of flexible warfare one finds on the eastern Front and in Poland and during the Russian Civil war - all roadblocks, cavalry, armoured cars etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.