Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering for a while, and have yet to see anything on it...

The Turn Marker has an Ottoman side, and a British side. The British side is marked '-1 BR RP'. Ordinarily, I would think the marker is just to be flipped as a reminder as to who's action round it is, but that last seems to indicate a further meaning as to which side is up, but I haven't found it yet. (At least, I see no reason why the Brits would lose 1 RP per round....) So what gives?

And as an extra question, is there anything in particular that the small (1/2") control marker is for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Turn Marker's -1 BR RP side is for use in case Robertson has been played and Lloyd George Takes Command has not been played. Robertson gives -1 BR RP per turn. LGTC gives +1 BR RP per turn, which is shown on the BR RP marker.

Normally Robertson will happen (if at all) after Lloyd George Takes Command- its requirements logically will be met later, in which case you can just flip BR Rps back to their non bonus side. But if the Allied player decides to keep LGTC in the deck for its 5 Ops and Robertson is played, then you can use the Turn marker.

It shouldn't be necessary to use the Turn Marker to determine whose turn it is- you do have a display in front of each player with markers for each Action round, so it should be obvious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
It shouldn't be necessary to use the Turn Marker to determine whose turn it is- you do have a display in front of each player with markers for each Action round, so it should be obvious...

I figured that out; but then I wonder why there's nationalities on the turn marker at all, and especially why the Ottoman Empire is the default when they go second? Normally, when there's different nationalities on the turn marker it's so you know who's turn it is....

...and you're saying the VP bonus is on the RP marker and the RP penalty is on the Turn marker....

Well, anyway, about what I figured the answer would be, I just hadn't managed to find the RP penalty card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops, typo there. Have corrected it now- I wrote VP for RP. +1 BR VP per turn would be too good...laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, RPs on both of those. That makes more sense. (Yeah, not sitting down with my copy right now....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
James, there is no difference between the small and large control markers -- just fit them in where we had blank spaces on the unit sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I figured, but there's enough different 'special purpose' markers that you never know....

I'm still curious as to why the default side of the turn marker uses the Ottoman symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, a trade secret!

Seriously, it was this simple: I have no idea....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
I'm still curious as to why the default side of the turn marker uses the Ottoman symbol.

Uh, it's a game about the Ottoman Near East...Yeah, yeah. THAT's the ticket!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.