Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I present the following situation for your consideration:

A hero is currently adjacent to a pit, and not adjacent to any monsters. The hero wishes to jump over the pit, using the rules from page 17 of the JitD book:

"If a hero or monster is aware of a pit, it may jump across the pit for three movement points for each space crossed. Simply place the figure on the other side of the pit after spending the movement points."

Adjacent to the pit (but not to the hero's current location) is a monster with the Grapple ability:

"Enemies adjacent to a figure with the Grapple ability cannot spend any movement points until the figure is dead. They may still attack as normal."

Question 1: If the hero declares that he is jumping across the pit, which of the following happens?
A) The hero is grappled over the pit space, causing him to fall into the pit, take damage, and remain there.
B) The hero successfully jumps over the pit, and then is possibly grappled when he lands, if the destination space is also adjacent to the monster.
C) The hero is not allowed to perform the jump and must pick something else to do.

Question 2: If the answer to question 1 is B (which seems most consistent with a literal reading of the rules), is there any reason that a hero could not "jump" past a figure with Grapple when there is no pit present?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph K
United States
Orchard
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think you can only jump over an obstacle. it doesnt seem right to say i will jump over the blank space next to the grapple monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, erm, it's clear that...

I mean, obviously...

Considering that...

Based on these others...

Ah, I got nothin'. shake

I'd go with C) merely to avoid the argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joekid wrote:
i think you can only jump over an obstacle. it doesnt seem right to say i will jump over the blank space next to the grapple monster.

That's a decent angle. But what about Blood Apes and their leap attack, again? Anybody remembers what happens if you do a leap attack next (or even over) a grappling hero)?

(I know, the leap attack isn't the same thing as spending MPs on a "jump" action. But it brings up similar concepts...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ, page 7:

Q: When making a Leap attack, can a figure be pinned by an enemy with Grapple?
A: No. Leap is one of the very few ways a figure can escape a Grapple effect.

Of course, the Leap ability doesn't technically say that you spend movement points, but there's a whole other can of worms associated with that issue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hero spends the 3 movement points before he jumps. He has to spend them to jump. So, when he is over the pit and potentially adjacent to a monster he is not spending movement points to move to the other space -- he already spent them before the jump.

If he landed next to a monster with grapple, then he would be stuck the next time he wanted to spend movement points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
steinley wrote:
The hero spends the 3 movement points before he jumps. He has to spend them to jump. So, when he is over the pit and potentially adjacent to a monster he is not spending movement points to move to the other space -- he already spent them before the jump.

If he landed next to a monster with grapple, then he would be stuck the next time he wanted to spend movement points.

It looks to me like this is the right interpretation. Treat jumping over pits as you would knockback for example. The hero does not actually go through the pit space when he jumps it, so he is not adjacent to the monster for purpose of grapple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so we have the "Space Ghost" literal interpretation of the jump rules, one pre-existing exception with the leap attack, and the "joekid defense" to restrict jump actions to jumpable obstacles only.

It kinda holds.

Session adjourned, m'lord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to vote for B if this came up in my game. However, jumping past a grapple would not be allowed. Mainly because the rules only mention jumping over pits. If you allow jumping past grappling figures the next thing you know you will want to jump over water, and we all know why you can't do that. (See the FAQ if you don't know.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.