Subject: Timber Tom is a FAMILY RACE game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
I just thought I'd better step in to my own game file and make a general reply to messages I have received and to some general comments on Timber Tom.

I think I need to remind people that above all it was designed as a FAMILY game. Timber Tom's intention was never intended to appease the taste of hard core gamers with complex decisions, scoring, or strategies - which leads me to...

RACING. Timber Tom is a RACE game. Your objective is to beat your opponants to a physical destination. If people wish to compare or base their ratings on something then please compare it or class it as a comparison to other RACE games.

My main objective was to provide a race game with:
a) different mechanic
b) an innovative game board
c) a mix of card, dice AND resources
d) barriers
and
e) an OPEN trail - meaning you don't follow a set course or compete with opponants on a side-by-side basis (Motograndprix, Leader1, Formula D for example)

The reason behind this was to avoid tile placement (and force the game to be played within a limited boundary), remove the 'comparison' factor (the side-by-side racing element), and use barriers (fixed or removable) to force different directions or strategies.

Please, please please - as a game designer it is especially disappointing to see other game designers compare Timber Tom to another class of game that is not even remotely attached (card games, tile placement, betting/wagering for example).

Timber Tom is a RACE game! (thanks to all those who have recently sent me emails about the game. I will try and reply as soon as possible!)

Cheers
Marco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Now I'm back into work on Monday morning I just thought I'd explain the above post (after a good dose of zen)

Well as it turns out there are people in this world that not only are just downright rude but also rather cowardly.

Last Friday I recieve an unsigned email from someone I don't know (probably hoping to hide his/her Geek identity) telling me that I'd be better off concentrating my efforts elsewhere than on board games as they couldn't see the reason behind going to such great lengths to produce "a mediocre game".

This person, claiming to have designed more intresting games with much less effort and expense, then says they would rather buy a pack of Dominion cards and play "just a card game" from a well known publisher rather than risk spending money on an unknown publisher producing a mediocre gaming experience.

Hey, I'm all for constructive "feedback", especially if its from another game designer, but to unsign your email, claim you're better than the other, then to compare your game to something not in the same category just seemed pretty pathetic.

I think people see Timber Tom then wait for it to be the mind-blowing, knock-your-socks-off, holy-smoking-topographics board game. This was NOT my intention. As I stated above my aim was simply INNOVATION and FUN. I like what I do and like to create - as I'm sure lot of people do out there. It's just a damn shame to recieve such crap from people who don't share the same thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep up the good work, Marco! Timber Tom is fantastic.

It is sad that some individuals feel the need to send those type of e-mails. Know that you have a number of fans out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. Unfortunately, all artists have to develop a thick skin when putting their creations out there for the public to judge. Just chalk that guy up as an inconsiderate person who had nothing better to do than criticize you and your work. It is very clear from your earlier posts, and your website, AND the game materials, what the purpose and intended audience is for your game.

Personally, I find Timber Tom is a fun gaming experience for adult gamers, especially when you add in the expansions, but others have their own game preferences. They just need to learn the meaning of the terms "constructive criticism" and "tact". It's okay not to like a game. It's not okay to tell someone they shouldn't bother to design games. Frankly, that's none of their damn business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Schoonaarde (Dendermonde)
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Have a Dikke Knuffel (A Big Hug for you non dutch speaking people :) )
badge
Stepping out on the road is a dangerous business. You have to keep your feet under you, or before you know it you'll be swept off to who knows where!
mbmbmb
Marco,

Don't let somebody like that bring you down.

You've created a great and fun game, and if they don't like it they should just ignore it.

You've got a whole bunch of fans who appreciate what you are doing and who support you!

Keep up the great work!

Best regards,
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks guys for your comments . Yeah, I try not to let comments like that get under my skin as the good far outweighs the bad. I was just really peeved off at how it was done. Back to work! I've got another game to finish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcoBing69 wrote:
Back to work! I've got another game to finish!

And that game would be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
ahahhhh.... more news to come in the coming weeks Bernie! As a teaser part of the game involves perforated playing cards - so that what is revealed through these cards when they are placed will be benefical (as opposed to what is printed on your card!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcoBing69 wrote:

This person, claiming to have designed more intresting games

Unless this person was Reiner Knizia or Wolfgang Kramer I would tell them to sit on a tack. Timber Tom is an exceptionally well designed game. I for one am Glad I picked it up! Keep up the good work. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, please, keep doing what you're doing! Timber Tom is EXCELLENT!

It's really disappointing to hear about the email you received...and you're right, the author of that email IS a coward. If you don't have the nerve (or whatever body-part you want to throw in...) to let someone know your identity when you give them a piece of your mind, just keep your opinions to yourself....

So please, don't let this jerk get you down, it's not worth it.

jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
On an unrelated note Justin, love the avatar. (not that Marvin would care)
True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Envy takes many forms, including attempting to belittle the accomplishments of others.

Constructive criticism is useful. Negative criticism is unavoidable. Anonymous snot-nosed belittling is beneath notice except to remind us that we live in an imperfect world.

I'd guess that anybody who doesn't want to keep their copy of Timber Tom will very shortly find a buyer or trader looking for one.

For myself, not only will I keep my copy, it will probably someday be explicitly passed on to somebody in my will.

Looking forward to the variant goodies and future designs, Marco. Onward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes please keep up the great work. Timber Tom is exactly what you set out to make. I love it and everyone in my game group wants to give it a try. There is just not enough time to do that. I am looking forward to your new game with the playing cards with holes in them. Sounds very interesting.

I have to say a HUGE thank you for thinking outside the box and not just making another resource management / Tile laying / Ancient Europe / Train Stock game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep up the good work - i'm proud to own a copy, it's the best looking game i own and i love it as a family game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j Willis
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also echo the above praise and would like to add that you have been amazingly accessible and obviously care about the game AND the people who own it.

You are a model of how a game "company" should treat their customers.

Thanks, Marco!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I can't people are being this hard on this game. It is not a "gamers game." With that being said I could see many people at BGG.con enjoying this game after the were a little fried playing meatier games. I think it is perfect for kids. It is the most beautiful game production I have ever seen, and that alone makes it an interesting part of a gamer"s collection. Thanks for your work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
I entirely agree with this - I wish Marco every success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.