Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently taking a college course on the history of Western Civilization. I'm actually surprised with how much of this stuff I already know (or am familiar with). I suppose I have the History Channel to thank for that. Anyway, I've never had a particular interest in ancient history before as I have always been obsessed with the American Civil War and World War 2.

Taking this class, I have come to the realization that I have an innate and previously undiscovered fascination with ancient Greece and Rome that is now trying to claw its way out of me. The final straw was last night at a game store when I saw they had a copy of Perikles on the clearance shelf. I haven't bought it yet, but I am considering it. It looks like it is similar to Struggle for Empires and a little bit of Imperial. Never played the former, I really enjoyed the latter.

Before I make a decision, can anyone else recommend games dealing with or related to the Peloponnesian War? Perikles doesn't seem to really be about the war, but is just kind of set during it. That is fine; I don't think I would want to play a game with a billion hexes and huge stacks of chits. I suppose I would be willing to look at games dealing with the Romans as well...

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 5 games with "Peloponnesian War" in the title. You could start with a game search right there.

The Victory Games' title is perhaps the most famous of the lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already browsed through those. I was hoping someone with more familiarity on the subject might be able to suggest a certain game over another. The main reason I was asking is because there are probably a lot more games related to Greece that I have never heard of that don't have "Peloponnesian" in the title and I didn't want to overlook any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perikles is more of an abstract approach, rather than a full scale wargame. There are both political influence phases, and combat phases.
Not my favorite game, but not bad. Kind of like a cross between a wargame and a Euro, along the lines of Feudo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might suggest Athens & Sparta, a block game from Columbia games. The blocks, like in the game Stratego, face only the owning player, so it creates "fog of war": that is, you know something's out there, but not what or exactly how much.

The rules are only 8 pages, and they're online so that you can check them out to see if it looks interesting: http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/3061/3061-rules.pdf

If you're interested in the battles themselves, I might look at the relatively easy and very popular game Commands & Colors: Ancients. There aren't any battles of the Peloponnesian War, but several have been written by fans:

http://www.ccancients.net/Maps/Peloponnesian-War-431-404-BC/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic of the Peloponnesian War seems to be a good game and good simulation. It i a bit on the heavy side because of the amount of planning required, but most of the mechanics are easy.

I have played it and have soloed Athens & Sparta and found both to be enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that Perikles, however abstract, simulates the Peloponnesian War rather nicely, particularly the influence of pan-Hellenic families. That sort of political element is difficult to simulate in war game. Other than that If you want a game that captures the feel of military campaigning at that time at an operational/strategic level I'd look into Successors. Though it takes play some time later, it simulates ancient warfare at that level really well, and because there are 4 players, allows for a good amount of politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Perikles is pretty cool, but you will *definitely* want to play a few turns on your own before trying to teach it to others, and I recommend checking out some of the player aids here. The election phase is simple enough, but the rules for the combat phase have quite a few ambiguities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the wargames set in that age will have the problem of ignoring, mostly, the political situation in Greece at the time, so consider that a caveat. In that aspect, as far as I know, Perikles is good enough.

On the Romans, on the other hand, you have Conquest of the Empire for the late empire (it has two sets of rules, besides, one of them like the Struggle of Empires one, which is a must), and The Republic of Rome for the Republican times; this one is an Avalon Hill game that seems to have everything that I want about the politics of the age instead of being a wargame or an area control game like the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why you've chosen to focus on the Pelopennese War - rather than other parts of Ancient Greek history.

If you're looking at other periods then I'd recommend Successors (third edition) as a great game.

Also I'd second C+C:Ancients as a really good and easy way of getting into ancient wargaming - which gives a lot of scope for visiting battles all over the ancient world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC is a good solitaire game on the topic that has very good historical material that comes with. A bit hard to find, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellynut wrote:
I'm not sure why you've chosen to focus on the Pelopennese War - rather than other parts of Ancient Greek history.

If you're looking at other periods then I'd recommend Successors (third edition) as a great game.

Also I'd second C+C:Ancients as a really good and easy way of getting into ancient wargaming - which gives a lot of scope for visiting battles all over the ancient world.

Well, as I said I'm a bit of a newcomer to that time period so perhaps my title was a bit too narrowly defined. I probably should have said "ancient Greece" but since Perikles is set during that war and it was the one I was physically looking at I got fixated on that. I'll be checking out some of these recommendations, and if anyone else has anything different to add I'll look at those too.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in the Roman era and are into wargames, you might like SPQR or some of the great battles of history by GMT. They're more concentrated on the Punic wars, but still an awful lot of fun. Avalon hill had a few games set in that time period as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War

Here is another one that holds great promise. It's not out yet, but the designer is one of the best in the field and he's linked up with GMT for this one so it should be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
Perikles is more of an abstract approach, rather than a full scale wargame. There are both political influence phases, and combat phases.
Not my favorite game, but not bad. Kind of like a cross between a wargame and a Euro, along the lines of Feudo

I went back to the store today to take another look at Perikles and I found out it was 75% off! There was also a copy of Feudo on clearance so I bought both of them new in shrink for only about $28!!! Their original sticker price was $115 total so I'm pretty stoked.

I'm still looking into the other recommendations, thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmkraehe wrote:
Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War

Here is another one that holds great promise. It's not out yet, but the designer is one of the best in the field and he's linked up with GMT for this one so it should be good.

I am P500 on this but, then again, it's a wargame and the politics are not exactly there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.