Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: GMT's Gringo! Rules to SPI's GBACW Wilson's Creek. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I recently started playing Gringo! (solo), and I noticed that the modified GBACW rules in Gringo would work really really well for the old SPI Wilson's Creek. I guess this occurred to me because as a battle Wilson's Creek is closer in size to the battles in Gringo! than to say, Gettysburg, First and Second Bull Run, or Chickamauga. Which leads to my question:

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about integrating the two systems in such a way as to udpate Wilson's Creek? (or at least want to have a public discussion on it)

My familiarity with the GBACW system is limited to primarily solo games, so I am sure I am leaving something out. I realize that a lot of the weapons and fire tables will have to be taken from the older system, to account for those units which carried rifles at Wilson's Creek. Also, the initiative and activation system would need to be weighted towards the Union, at least early on, as Wilson's Creek was a surprise attack. Obviously Sigel can be made an unreliable General for purposes to modeling his inability to carry through his part of Lyon's plan. In that same vein, the rules in the older system for dealing with Lyon's death should probably be kept.

Anyone got anything on this topic? (its okay if you don't, I still like you.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic just came up on consimworld last week. I don't remember whether it was under the GMT thread or the gbacw thread, but if I am not mistaken, Richard Berg memtioned the possibility of developing a simplified gbacw system and updating some of the older titles in the series such as Wilson's Creek and (my favorite) Pea Ridge. If this is true and you wait long enough, you may be able to play Wilson's Creek using the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity W. where in Missouri are you located. I am only a few miles from Wilson's Creek myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Simple GBACW are on the GMT Living Rules page:

http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTLivingRules.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stampdog316 wrote:
This topic just came up on consimworld last week. I don't remember whether it was under the GMT thread or the gbacw thread, but if I am not mistaken, Richard Berg memtioned the possibility of developing a simplified gbacw system and updating some of the older titles in the series such as Wilson's Creek and (my favorite) Pea Ridge. If this is true and you wait long enough, you may be able to play Wilson's Creek using the new rules.

This is really good news. I also would like to see Pea Ridge redone. They could sell them as a packet of both battles, Wilson's Creek on one side, and Pea Ridge on the other. Price and McCulloch, and McIntosh were at both, so no need for lots of different commander counters. Although, McIntosh was only a Colonel at Wilson's Creek, but a Brigadier at Pea Ridge.

I don't know if they need to develop a whole new system, as opposed to just making the battle books, counters, and maps for the two battles.

I guess I will hurry up and wait. Although, I won't rule out finding a way to piece something together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
For one of the older games, I see nothing wrong with Pea Ridge as designed. One of the best games I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see Ben McCulloch represented in this series. People generally know about A.S. Johnston but McCulloch was much more a proven leader and a rising star when he was killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.