N. Ma
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
You have no Futura!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had another great round of the game yesterday between watching the newest episode. By now, I thought we'd have everything down, but a few things always seem to present themselves that need clarification...

1) One of the pilots was in a Viper. Through a failed skill check, I chose that character (Apollo) to be sent to the Sickbay. Does the Viper get returned to reserves, or does it become a red shirt Viper? We ruled that it would be returned.

2) There's some interesting discussion about secrecy on the board lately. I agree with the judgments there, but--how about when in a game, all the Cylons are revealed, and so the teams are clear-cut? There's no more need to be secret, and I find that my group just about sheds it all. We're still not giving away the strength of our cards, but there's a whole lot more, "Can someone give me an XO?" "Do you have Maximum Firepower?" (when determining which pilot should be given an XO) "That crisis didn't have a jump icon" (when scouting), etc.

Normally, especially that last, I think it'd be pretty unacceptable. But with the teams known and no Cylons to hide, isn't that just the way it should naturally play out? While we're certainly not putting in cards to a check face-up, we do stop shuffling them at that point--we know the Cylons will put in a negative, and so it doesn't matter if we know what the Destiny did to us. Gone is the paranoia, and the game becomes more truly cooperative--the humans are working at near peak efficiency trying to survive, and reach a common goal.

So what are the views on secrecy at such a point in the game?

EDIT to add:
3) Oh, and 1 more--from #2, if the teams are clear, I'd be able to play Strategic Planning on a Basestar shooting at the Galactica, no? Keep in mind--I hadn't formally revealed yet, but as Admiral, chose a crippling hit to one resource over another well in the blue, and obviously implicated myself. It was too good to pass up, and I was thrown in the Brig--oh well. Well, another's Crisis activated the Basestars. Being still "human", I could play that Strategic Planning, right? Because I did. devil It just says, "play before any die roll" or something... Acceptable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Piloted Vipers, and when the teams are clear...
kerning wrote:
1) One of the pilots was in a Viper. Through a failed skill check, I chose that character (Apollo) to be sent to the Sickbay. Does the Viper get returned to reserves, or does it become a red shirt Viper? We ruled that it would be returned.

Viper is returned to bay.

Quote:
2) There's some interesting discussion about secrecy on the board lately. I agree with the judgments there, but--how about when in a game, all the Cylons are revealed, and so the teams are clear-cut? There's no more need to be secret, and I find that my group just about sheds it all. We're still not giving away the strength of our cards, but there's a whole lot more, "Can someone give me an XO?" "Do you have Maximum Firepower?" (when determining which pilot should be given an XO) "That crisis didn't have a jump icon" (when scouting), etc.

Do you have an XO / Max Firepower? I say that's legal, you're not giving specific values/information away on the cards.
That crisis didn't have a jump icon: Illegal. The scouter is not supposed to mention any specifics about the card. Scout, make the decision, move on.

When the teams are 100% clear cut, yes, there's a tendancy to give up the secrecy rules, but remember who can hear you. They can steal your cards and mess up your day.

Quote:
Normally, especially that last, I think it'd be pretty unacceptable. But with the teams known and no Cylons to hide, isn't that just the way it should naturally play out? While we're certainly not putting in cards to a check face-up, we do stop shuffling them at that point--we know the Cylons will put in a negative, and so it doesn't matter if we know what the Destiny did to us. Gone is the paranoia, and the game becomes more truly cooperative--the humans are working at near peak efficiency trying to survive, and reach a common goal.

Knowing what has happened in the destiny deck is too much information for the humans. If you're paying attention, you will know if destiny is more likely to favor you. To protect the Cylons, the cards should continue to be shuffled.

Quote:
3) Oh, and 1 more--from #2, if the teams are clear, I'd be able to play Strategic Planning on a Basestar shooting at the Galactica, no? Keep in mind--I hadn't formally revealed yet, but as Admiral, chose a crippling hit to one resource over another well in the blue, and obviously implicated myself. It was too good to pass up, and I was thrown in the Brig--oh well. Well, another's Crisis activated the Basestars. Being still "human", I could play that Strategic Planning, right? Because I did. devil It just says, "play before any die roll" or something... Acceptable?

Strategic Planning can be used on any die roll to add two to it, including those made on behalf of the Cylons. If you're unrevealed, it represents that you put a plan into motion. Of course, at that point you're pretty much known for what you are, which doesn't mean you need to reveal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on #2, and that's how we've played. Once it's clear who's who, the humans need to be as clear as they can (within the rules) about what cards they have to fight back an overwhelming Cylon force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Ma
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
You have no Futura!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Knowing what has happened in the destiny deck is too much information for the humans. If you're paying attention, you will know if destiny is more likely to favor you. To protect the Cylons, the cards should continue to be shuffled.

Very good point, forgot about that detail!

byronczimmer wrote:
Strategic Planning can be used on any die roll to add two to it, including those made on behalf of the Cylons. If you're unrevealed, it represents that you put a plan into motion. Of course, at that point you're pretty much known for what you are, which doesn't mean you need to reveal!

Indeed, it's very frustrating having a Cylon player stick around in the brig even when they've shown their true colours! I had the "Reduce morale by 1" Cylon card, a resource barely depleted at all, so I stuck around a bit, wasting their cards, making sure to use my once a game ability...

Although thematically, it's a little off, but it can't be helped. That character would be flushed out an airlock if he were causing so much trouble...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.