1 , 2  Next »   | 

Le Havre» Forums » General

Subject: Computerized Le Havre Solitaire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Hickey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agricola has it. Anyone know anything about it for Le Havre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to announce this until I'm done, but as this question has appeared, I'll reveal it. I'm currently working on a computer version of Le Havre in Java.

It'll be playable with any number of players (1-5) via LAN or partly on the same machine (if you start mutliple instances of the game). However, I'm not working on any sort of AI (as I've no idea about this topic).

I was working for a month now and I think, I'll need another one to complete the game. Currently, I'm implementing the buildings (27/81 are already done). After I'm ready with this, I'll need to write the end of the game (final action phase and scoring). The rest is already done and working properly (at least on the same machine - I had no chance to test it on multiple ones by now).

So, either be patient to see my work done or maybe there is someone else who'll do this faster than me.

If possible, please do not contact me how far I am with the game until it's done. And no, I need no help. Help would rather lengthen the development process. However, if there is anybody who has a lot of knowledge about AI programming, particularly neural networks, please do contact me as I could very much need your help to even implement an AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
I didn't want to announce this until I'm done, but as this question has appeared, I'll reveal it. I'm currently working on a computer version of Le Havre in Java.

It'll be playable with any number of players (1-5) via LAN or partly on the same machine (if you start mutliple instances of the game). However, I'm not working on any sort of AI (as I've no idea about this topic).

I was working for a month now and I think, I'll need another one to complete the game. Currently, I'm implementing the buildings (27/81 are already done). After I'm ready with this, I'll need to write the end of the game (final action phase and scoring). The rest is already done and working properly (at least on the same machine - I had no chance to test it on multiple ones by now).

So, either be patient to see my work done or maybe there is someone else who'll do this faster than me.

If possible, please do not contact me how far I am with the game until it's done. And no, I need no help. Help would rather lengthen the development process. However, if there is anybody who has a lot of knowledge about AI programming, particularly neural networks, please do contact me as I could very much need your help to even implement an AI.

OMG! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OMFG...that is beautiful, man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aubrey Miles
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(thanks ceiling cat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thornton
United States
Wentzville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I thought about writing a version in python but your a month ahead of me. The java version already looks professional and even without AI it looks fun to play. Is yours authorized? GPL/OSS licensed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
ReseƱas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is yours authorized? GPL/OSS licensed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thornton
United States
Wentzville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Is yours authorized? GPL/OSS licensed?

I'm asking if he's been given permission from Uwe to create and distribute a software implementation of his game. ie Commerical license... is this something that we'll have to purchase or will it be free as in beer or free as in open source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hickey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, that's a cooler response than I expected!

I wouldn't sweat AI much. Le Havre is a pretty complex game. You could probably cobble together something that makes short term strategic choices, but beyond that, it may be a fool's errand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, YES, my version is approved by Uwe and will be 100% free.
Thanks for all these thumbs and geek gold tips already!
The reason why this looks "professional" (although it's an amateurs's work) is that I'm using original graphics (no scans). This is also approved by Uwe (in case you'll ask).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
great idea!!!! looking forward for playing le havre without sorting/stacking all the countern.

will it be possible to play via internet???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebenerwerbsbauer wrote:
great idea!!!! looking forward for playing le havre without sorting/stacking all the countern.

will it be possible to play via internet???

Should be, not directly, but with the help of Hamachi - alittle program that fools your computer to be connected via LAN to another one in the internet. I'll test all these subtleties when I'm done with the core of the game.

Edit: Click the image in my first post to go to the image section where I've written some more information on what I'm doing. Tells much more than this one image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard McCormack
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice , cant wait !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!!! Am very interested in seeing the finished product. I had my doubts about Le Havre (after trying Agricola), but I like the theme (Industry vs. farming) & mechanics (all cards in play are available to all players) better than Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I've been wanting to try this one for a while, but no one to play with. This may solve my problem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thornton
United States
Wentzville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! Although I still hope the real version comes to the USA before your computer version is completed Still.. I can use it to lure in others to play face 2 face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenK wrote:
Fantastic! Although I still hope the real version comes to the USA before your computer version is completed Still.. I can use it to lure in others to play face 2 face.

Hm, might be a good sort of competition for me: Do I finish the software before the hardware arrives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just a few steps of being ready with the computer game.
There are 9 special buildings missing (3 regular, 6 bonus) and the game has no end screen, yet. However, I could play my first complete game (including final action).

Some minor cosmetic things have to be done, e. g. adding info on how many hammer or fishing symbols one has in total, or what ships there are in game (I mean those unbuilt ones - you currently just see the topmost one) etc.

The most important part is to test the game in a real network environment multiplayer and cope with connection losses and such bad stuff. Until now, I've tested everything on a single machine only with a virtual network - and this obviously works fine.

So, maybe about one week until I can release the first version. It most probably will contain loads of little bugs, but I've added code to help you to help me find the issues.

Stay tuned.

PS: I've added another image in my very first post here. Follow the link (by clicking on the image) to get some more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was tested yesterday on two different machines in a LAN and it worked very fine. However, initially, I've had a problem with the connection - my notebook got its IP address right, but my PC has created some weird sort of IP, so both didn't find each other when starting the game (but they were already connected via LAN!). It's possible to set the IP manually when starting the game, but it's very ugly and many people are no computer experts and might have difficulties to go this way.

However, I won't "fix" that right now - I'm going to release the game within the next few days, probably Wednesday. It will be in German, at first, and I don't know if I'll do the translation on my own. There are 1500+ lines of text to be translated (the tutorials take most space) and that's a lot. However, the game should be playable without the translation (at first) if you have your cards at hand. I'll probably write an extra English tutorial with images soon after the release. Everybody who can speak or at least understand German very well, is invited to help me translate the game. I'll give you 20bag.

The release on Wednesday has to be regarded as a beta release. I've fixed most of the bugs yesterday when playing against my wife via LAN, but there are way too many buildings and specialties to be tested well in a short time. However, I've built in two things that might help me to find the bugs.

1. Each game will be logged. Everything you see in the chat window, will also be written into a log file (except user generated messages). This log file will be saved in the "logs" directory of the game. NOTE: The log file is closed if the game is terminated via closing the game window regularly. If you force closing by killing the process via console or task manager, the log file will be empty. So please, close the game regularly every time you encounter bugs and send me the log file.

2. In the game, there is a button called "Spielzustand" (game state) in German. Only the game creator can click that button, i. e. the first player to log into a game. If clicked a window opens and dumps the state of each game object into it. Please copy the text of the window into a text file and send it together with the log file. NOTE: The game state changes every time you do anything in the game. So, click the button right after you encounter a bug! This feature has helped me a lot during the last days of playtesting.

So, please have a little more patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i think/hope this flash version will help le havre on his run to the top ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been impressed with the approach and results of the programmer who did AI versions of Ra and Modern Art. Here are the threads:

Modern Art: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/32369
Ra: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/132262

At some point Snapper recommends a book or two--maybe in the documentation to one of his programs. The Ra AI is good. The Modern Art AI was very good--though I've played more Modern Art since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
So, sorry, I won't be ready today, as it seems. Uwe visited me yesterday and we've playtested the computer game and he had some cool improvement ideas, more like cosmetic ones, but many that make the playability better, easier and more intuitive.

So, please hava a little more patience. Most probably, I'll have the game translated to English by that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i think we should spread the news to keep the pressure high :D !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already done that! Not to keep the pressure high, but because I think it's very cool, I mean geeky Can't wait to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.