Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Here's an interesting set I played:

Moat Chapel Workshop Chancellor Gardens
Remodel Moneylender Mine Council Room Adventurer

The cards that inspired the name are in bold. These are several of the cards that let you take a card some way other than buying it. To fill out the theme, I might add Bureaucrat and Feast. Also because all of these are more fun when you can take two cards instead of one, I'd add the Throne Room. So the set could look like this, but I haven't tested this:

Chapel Cellar Workshop Chancellor Gardens
Remodel Bureaucrat Feast Throne Room Mine

Strategy discussion:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

One thing that makes this set work is the lack of many +cards and +action cards. Simply adding a Village would turn this into a fast Remodel set. Adding a Smithy also could make it favor an engine deck. Not having better options lets you really play with the free card action cards. The Chapel lets you trim down your deck so you get to use these more often, instead of having to have many of your turns just consist of spending a few Coppers.

The Gardens being in there is interesting. Often when there is a Workshop and a Gardens, and it doesn't look like there are going to be any really fast decks, I would go that route. I didn't when I played this, and neither did my opponent. I think it could be pretty competitive, maybe the best strategy for this set, maybe not.

Here's a similar fun set idea that uses all the cards that either trash cards or add cards to a player's deck without them buying them. There are 9 of those, and I'd add Throne Room or Gardens as the 10th.

Chapel Workshop Throne Room / Gardens Bureaucrat Moneylender
Remodel Feast Thief Mine Witch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be an interesting variant to have a set where you can only use your buy phase for VP's or on your first two turns, relying entirely on action cards to add treasure/other action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
It would be an interesting variant to have a set where you can only use your buy phase for VP's or on your first two turns, relying entirely on action cards to add treasure/other action cards.

Interesting? I'd think most experienced players would buy nothing at all those first two turns, and the game would effectively begin again on the third turn, after two five-card draws with no buy, and one reshuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
thatmarkguy wrote:
theory wrote:

Interesting? I'd think most experienced players would buy nothing at all those first two turns, and the game would effectively begin again on the third turn, after two five-card draws with no buy, and one reshuffle.

I don't understand your response at all, Mark. Experienced players would not buy any treasure or action cards in the first two turns? By the variant suggested that would doom them to playing the rest of the game with only 7 coppers and only the ability to buy Estates and the occasional Duchy.

I don't think it's a particularly interesting variant, mind you. I just don't see how not buying anything would be advantageous in these circumstances.

--edit-- It just occurred to me...did you perhaps miss the word "or" in the variant?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
--edit-- It just occurred to me...did you perhaps miss the word "or" in the variant?

blush guilty as charged blush

"you can only use your buy phase for VP's on your first two turns" would, indeed, be a rather pointless and uninteresting variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.