Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I need help! I'd like to get an ÜberGeekBadge, but I can't think of what to put on it. Following Tripp's lead (wait, what?), I'm going to throw it open to Chit Chat to design an ÜberGeekBadge for me. I'll give a GeekGold to those that I really, really like and whichever one I end up using. I'll also do a poll-thingy for y'all to vote on which you like the best, and I'll use the winner for at least a week and award it a GeekGold.

I really like my Avatar, and so I'd like the ÜberGeekBadge to go with it. But if you come up with an ÜberGeekBadge/Avatar combo that I really, really, really like, I might just replace my Sandman Avatar with your design! surprise

You have a week. You may begin!

Coverage and offer not available everywhere. Call for locations. Ends 2/16/09. Excludes taxes and service plan charges. May require two-year agreement, up to $361 activation fee, up to $7500 early termination fee, credit approval and deposit. Additional terms and restrictions apply. All steps listed above must be completed and postmarked within 30 days of receipt of merchandise. May cause hair loss, excessive hair growth, swelling, overheating, kyphosis, skin-flaking, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, or death. If you fail to redeem your certificate on any given month, the entire offer is invalid and you will not receive your grocery gift cards. First and last names must match on ID, certificate, and sales order. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of your purchase. Check with your doctor before starting any weight loss program. If you have any questions or concerns, please call 800-URA-LOSER. Employees of the company are not eligible. Not valid with any other promotions or discount. If merchandise is returned after 7 days a 20% restocking fee will be charged. Cannot be combined with any other promotion. Prior sales excluded. Void where prohibited and in Antarctica. Harmful if swallowed. If substance contacts skin or eyes, flush area with water. All ÜberGeekBadges and Avatars become property of amwiles to use as she sees fit. To receive your artwork after the competition, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelop. No artwork will be returned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Design an ÜberGeekBadge, win GeekGold
Feel free to borrow mine, free of charge. You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm less than thrilled with the terms & conditions, but hey, I trust you.

It's nearly my bedtime, so just a very quick one based on the title from the image in the Sandman wiki. The d goes up above the main title, but to include that would have taken more editing than I have time for right now.

I'm sure we can do better than this, but it's a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
If designing the badge triggers an extreme case of stinky feet causing you to require large numbers of plastic grocery bags and duct tape to collect the 'water', discontinue the attempt immediately and seek professional medical help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had any kind of artistic ability whatsoever, I'd have my own avatar by now. I marvel at the array and depth of artistic talent I've seen thus far on BGG -- I'm sure you'll get some wonderful contributions, so I wish you well in selecting one!

and by the way,

Cringing Dragon wrote:

It's nearly my bedtime, so just a very quick one based on the title from the image in the Sandman wiki. The d goes up above the main title, but to include that would have taken more editing than I have time for right now.

Good god man, this is badgetastic! Speaking for myself, you rock my ÜberBadge world! Howdja do this? Something to aspire to since I'm still only thinking about my avatar, but I've been almost resigned to pulling a free one from the ethernets. Maybe if you can do this tired and bleary-eyed, there's hope for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:

Oooohhh... Shiny.

I am proud to report that it does not bother me that Amy will have a more upgraded badge than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about new both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
How about new both?

Busted!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Busted!!

Well, between the Radio4 microbadge and the profile, it seemed fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the wrong dimensions, apparently. Re-did the badge.

/haven't made an uberbadge before, but first time for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Design an ÃœberGeekBadge, win GeekGold
What ARE the right dimenstions? I seem to have muck about with it and it never seems to work when the exact same dimension from a saved UB

Anyhoo... I can make to any dimensions necessary of course but the general idea I had was:

I can clean up the ankh a bit too, this is a concept piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dimensions are 118x22, but the guide says they have a 2 pixel border and to make them 96x16 (which looks an awful lot like a regular geekbadge size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the one you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I like the one you have.

Do you mean my avatar? Thanks!

But if you mean my GeekBadge, I don't have an ÜberGeekBadge, just a GeekBadge. Are you suggesting I keep my GeekBadge the way it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I mean the combination of the current avatar/geekbadge you have now is great. Why would you want to change it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Yes, I mean the combination of the current avatar/geekbadge you have now is great. Why would you want to change it?

Because I have money? That's always the best answer, right?

BTW, I'd like to see Cringing Dragon and Van's designs cleaned up a little. I'm liking where they're going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
quozl wrote:

Because I have money? That's always the best answer, right?

There goes the neighborhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
The dimensions are 118x22, but the guide says they have a 2 pixel border and to make them 96x16 (which looks an awful lot like a regular geekbadge size.

Just a small correction--actually it should be 96x18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be an inside joke, which I'm sure Amy will notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Sungarden3 wrote:
If I had any kind of artistic ability whatsoever, I'd have my own avatar by now. I marvel at the array and depth of artistic talent I've seen thus far on BGG -- I'm sure you'll get some wonderful contributions, so I wish you well in selecting one!

and by the way,

Cringing Dragon wrote:

Good god man, this is badgetastic! Speaking for myself, you rock my ÜberBadge world! Howdja do this? Something to aspire to since I'm still only thinking about my avatar, but I've been almost resigned to pulling a free one from the ethernets. Maybe if you can do this tired and bleary-eyed, there's hope for me?
I have no artistic ability either (hey I'm an engineer - artistic talent not required). I didn't draw this, I just pinched it from an image that was on one of the wiki pages Amy provided links to.

I'm using Corel Photo-Paint, but what I did last night could easily have been done in Paint (the one that comes with Windows). I've seen a lot of recommendations for a freeware product called GIMP, but I haven't used it.

Instructions assuming you're using Paint.
d10-1Take a copy of the source image in as large a size as they have on the site (generally, keep double-clicking on it until the image is the only thing in the browser window, then right click on it and Save Picture As or some equivalent for your browser).
d10-2Open the saved image in your editing software (Paint will do).
d10-3Crop out the piece of the image that you want (in this case, the title from a book cover). How you do this varies with the software, but in Paint there's an icon that looks like a dotted rectangle - use that, and drag a box around the bit you want. Try to choose an area that is roughly the same shape as the final image you need (ie square for an avatar, wide and flat for an UberGeekBadge).
In Vista Paint all you do now is choose Crop from the Edit menu (I think).
In XP Paint you go Edit-Copy, then File-New (okaying any questions it asks), then Edit-Paste. If the new image is larger than the pasted image, then go Image-Attributes, make the width and height something really small, and paste again (it will ask if you want to enlarge the image to fit the copied image, say yes).
d10-4Now you can clean the image up a bit if you want. Useful tools are the eyedropper - which lets you match a colour that's already in the image (say, the background colour), and the paintbrush, which lets you draw (to cover up a white spot, for example). Play & learn.
d10-5Now to resize the image to what you need. In some software you can resize straight to the dimensions you want, but in Paint (at least, in XP Paint) you can only resize by percentage, which is a nuisance.
First we need to know what size it is now. Go to Image-Attributes and change the Unit to pixels. Take a note of what the width and height are. Now calculate what % you need to shrink the height and width (calculate both) for the final image (more comments on this below).
Go Image-Stretch/Skew. Put the calculated %s in the Stretch section. I sometimes have trouble getting it to both height and width at once, so it might be best to do one at a time.
Go back into Image-Attributes to check if it ended up the right size.
d10-6Now save the image. Done.

Notes on image size.
64x64 for an avatar, 96x18 for an UberGeekBadge I think (although there is a cheat to get a 100x18 image, it's not straightforward).
If your image is very close to these ratios (ie the shrink % is similar for width and height), then just use those - you may get some minor distortion but it should be OK.
To keep the same shape (called the aspect ratio), both the width and height shrink %s need to be the same - and you'll need to use the smaller % to make it fit.
If you image is not in the right ratios (say a wide image for an avatar or a squarish image for an UberGeekBadge), you need to decide what you want from it. Can you crop some more off the too-big edges? Is there something you could add to the too-small edges that will complement the image? You don't have to use all the space, it's up to you. With an avatar, if you use an image that isn't square it will just be a bit smaller in one dimension - not a problem. With an UberGeekBadge, you'll have to work out how to position it to keep it centred, and what background colour you want to assign (perhaps the same as the image background colour). Personally, I'd add the extra background in the image editor rather than mucking around with hex colours in the UberGeekBadge editor. Or, if you only want to add a small image to the UberGeekBadge, you can add text as well.

Experiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puckhead wrote:

The badge looks a little off-center from the avatar. Can that be fixed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that. Does this look better? I accounted for the missing pixels between the avatar and the uberbadge (not to mention the original picture was also 1 pixel off).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puckhead wrote:
Sorry about that. Does this look better? I accounted for the missing pixels between the avatar and the uberbadge (not to mention the original picture was also 1 pixel off).

That'll do it! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I have no artistic ability either (hey I'm an engineer - artistic talent not required). I didn't draw this, I just pinched it from an image that was on one of the wiki pages Amy provided links to.

I'm using Corel Photo-Paint, but what I did last night could easily have been done in Paint (the one that comes with Windows). I've seen a lot of recommendations for a freeware product called GIMP, but I haven't used it.

Instructions assuming you're using Paint:

Your awesome-ness appears to know no bounds.

Muchas thanks for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.