United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Long story short, I got my "never met a game she liked" wife of 18 years playing some games over the last few months. Ticket to Ride piqued her interest, but Dominion reeled her in.

I'd like to try to branch out, so I asked her about game themes; immediately she came up with "mummies." Not just Egypt, not just archaeology...no, I have several of those already in my collection; that would be too easy. Mummies. Hrm... so I started looking for "mummy" games with a weight of medium or less (the less the better). Ideally games would work for 3 or 4 players.

A decent search brought up next to nothing. In terms of theme, the old GW Curse of the Mummy's Tomb is perfect... but I used to own the game back in the day and remember it being dreadful. Everything else was either obscure or rated very low.

I expanded the parameters to look for games with monsters in general. My wife also loves "cheesey sci-fi" flicks... such as Tremors and those terrible movies on the Sci-Fi channel that inevitably have some horrible CGI monster on the loose. With varying levels of interest we've discussed A Touch of Evil, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Ghost Stories, the b-movie card games from Z-man, Fearsome Floors, Fury of Dracula, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Touch of Evil and Betrayal top her list but the interest level isn't where I would like it to be. Her turnoffs include zombies zombie, fantasy sauron, kaiju, and Lovecraft/Cthulu (sorry, no Arkham). shake

Any other thoughts? I have to be missing something.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fearsome Floors ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tim. That was one that we had talked about - the first one that popped in my head without even doing a search. When I described the game play to her, she didn't think she would like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HorrorClix? It's a collectible game, but it's dead now (pun not intended) so it should be pretty affordable to go online and acquire the miniatures singles you and she would like. I'm sure they've got some mummies in there somewhere, among other things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Curse of the Mummy's Tomb not dreadful at all... Not serious strategy, but a fun romp. With mummies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyramid of Pengqueen? It's a kids game but it's fun.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlucky - that's an interesting thought. I actually own some Horrorclix and just never thought to ask her about a mini game. I don't think minis would be her cup of tea, but it's certainly worth a try.

Michael - It's been so long since I played/owned Curse that I would be willing to check it out again. Of course, the big problem there is price/availability.

Will - That's a great idea! I missed that one completely. At the same time that I'm trying to get my wife involved in games, I'm working my 9-year old into the mix as well. That could work for the whole family.

Bruce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I publish a game called It's Alive! which is Frankenstein-themed - you're a mad scientist trying build a monster from assorted body parts. The art is a bit gruesome but the game is simple and fun, it's proved a bit hit with the non-gamers I've introduced it to.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

You may be trying to thread a needle from eight feet away. Buy her a Karloff movie then play a good game (of any theme) afterwards. Or dress the part when you sit down to play. Chicks dig that.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
___OO\\ ...::::..:.:.
mb
Buy Last Night On Earth, and replace the zombies with mummies from bloodbowl (and don't tell her for her own good ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's available on BrettSpeilWelt (www.brettspielwelt.de) to play for free. You (or your wife) could try out a game or to, to see if she actually does enjoy it.

I hope you find something suitable.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Unnamed Object has a mummy. It's an Incan mummy, but it's still a mummy.

I think she's just toying with your love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Curlin
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Pharaohs pretty lightweight game, not sure the it plays that great with only 2 players. But, it does have a mummy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

You may be trying to thread a needle from eight feet away.

I think there's a tremendous chance of that.

There's the real possibility that I hit on the one game she digs - Dominion - and everything else is going to get a big 'Meh.'

After 18 years, though, if she wanted me to dress up... all she'd have to do is ask. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are screwed with Mummies. That whole Curse of the Mummy's Tomb is as you remembered it.

See if she's good with Dracula. The little 2 player Kosmos Dracula game is excellent. 45 minutes, nicely themed from the book, and a bit like a very short and sweet Fury of Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor Plum wrote:

Unnamed Object has a mummy. It's an Incan mummy, but it's still a mummy.

I think she's just toying with your love.

Incan Gold is a great idea, thanks Ken!

Toying with my love? Tell me something I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The Z-Man B-Movie card games really are a lot of fun so I think you are on to something there. In the card realm...Gloom might also fill the bill. No Mummies but some lovely Gorey-esque art and an innovative mechanic to hook her in. If you do the "dress as the Mummy" thing...please post...I find the People section of images rather boring.

True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ha ha, an Euro man married an AT woman ...

Well, since BLOOD BOWL is you're #1 game I reckon you ought to build her a Khemri team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suspect she's already done the research, knows the impossibility of the task, and has sent you off on this wild goose chase. Wink wink, nudge nudge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Well, since BLOOD BOWL is you're #1 game I reckon you ought to build her a Khemri team.

See, now you folks are just toying with me...

Franco wrote:
I suspect she's already done the research, knows the impossibility of the task, and has sent you off on this wild goose chase.

That would be... awesome!

Funny thing is when I started searching, I just kind of assumed there were all sorts of "mummy" games considering all of the Egyptian, archaeology, vampire, ghost, frankenstein, werewolf, etc... games out there. Frank succinctly summed it up with his "You are screwed with Mummies" comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A far as mummy type themes...how about Tutankhamen

You may want to consider

Diamant, we seem to enjoy playing it more than Incan Gold!
Also as far as other sci-fi stuff...we really like:
Pandemic
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Fearsome Floors
Dracula
For us Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game is ok, we probably will not play it much.
Since it is a Hasbro game, the components are a little odd and not super well thought out!
We are still learning Ghost Stories, but we like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no promises, but here are all the decent horror games:
Ultimate Horror/'B Movie' Game Battle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best horror adventure game with an actual Mummy scenario is Arkham Horror with one of its expansions, Arkham Horror: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Expansion, which has an Egyptian exhibit at the local museum causing trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Fury of Dracula, man. The game is really great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World will be out before long. I don't think it has mummies, but there are ghouls, skeletons, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.