Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Lopes
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game 4 times so I still consider myself quite newbie to the game. I've read the rules several times and also grabed some rules summary. In one of them, the one made by UniversalHead (v4) I've noticed that he wrote that when opening gate and Spaw Monster during the mythos phase:
Quote:
Elder Sign at Location:
No Gate or monster. If the location is colored red, there is
a gate burst, the elder sign is removed and a monster and
gate are placed as below (no doom token is placed on the
doom track however). Also, all flying monsters move.

But in the rules is (pag.9):
Quote:
A. Location Has Elder Sign
If an elder sign token has been placed at the location,
nothing happens. No gate opens and no monster appears.
The elder sign has permanently sealed the gate at this
location, and no new gates can open here.

I know that Arkham is also famous for it's poorly writen rules, so which one is correct?

EDIT:

My doubt appeared when I saw this image from kingsport horror:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsport Horror (and possibly other expansions) added the concept of Gate Bursts. Gate Bursts are the Mythos cards with the red location mentioned. A Gate Burst will unseal a sealed gate. So both are correct, depending on if you are playing with the expansion or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are no gate burst (with the red location on the Mythos card) in the base game. Gate bursts come from an expansion. So both are correct. If you did get a red location on the Mythos card, it would bust open the seal, but if you are only playing with the base game there are no red location cards so that would never happen. If it's a regular white location card, the seal would stop the gate from opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Seal is acquired if you get "Changed" at the Strange High House in the Mist in Kingsport. You can lay the great seal on a gate when you seal one to prevent the seal from ever being removed, no questions asked.

By the time Kingsport rolled around, there became a number of ways that seals could be lost, so the Great Seal can find its uses (though we've never been Changed in the 70+ games we've played since getting Kingsport. Your mileage may vary).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Lopes
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answers! I thought that the mentioned red colored location was the red diamond simbol above the unstable locations...
Well at least I was finally playing the game right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.