Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of redo-ing the map of Throneworld to make something a little prettier... what do you think of this sample? I wanted to show each of the four sections: Scanner, System, Space and Ground, and still leave enough room for counters or miniatures.... I was thinking this hex could be about 2+1/2" accross....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks really nice - you might want to change the graphics for the different types (been a while, bit rusty on the types - Inner, Outer, Fringe?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:

Looks really nice - you might want to change the graphics for the different types (been a while, bit rusty on the types - Inner, Outer, Fringe?)

Actually, I never played the game nor have I had it in my hands... Do you mean that different hexes are classified as inner/outer/fringe? I wonder what symbols they used to mark those on the original map.

I started toying with this today because someone commented in a Geeklist how ugly the map was... they are correct, and I just thought I could help solve the problem. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lagerquist
United States
Pleasant View
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it looks great! I think it would bring new life to a great older game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job, Bob! But I would certainly get my hands on a clear copy of the map before I put too much effort in. Since all hexes of the map would require the four elements, you might find that your lovely graphics start to make things look a little cluttered.

In my opinion, the main trouble with the printed map is the large and awkward blocks of white (the turn track, production track, etc.). I think if those were simply reversed out with white type on a spacey background the entire aesthetic effect would open up.

Incidentally, the way that Fringe, Outer, and Inner worlds are distinguished is with the inverted planet token you put in the system hex at the start of play. You can't distinguish the map hexes themselves because the map configuration changes with the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan... I had the same thoughts about clutter, and so the next step was to tile the hexes and see if the map started to resemble one of Bill Cosby's sweaters from the '80s.

I agree with you about the white areas, as well as the block labels under each section of a hex. Treefrog/Warfrog games have lots of ugly, amateurish-looking white space, and it's become a pet peave of mine on game maps.

I don't own the game, so can someone tell me if the hexes vary in terms of markings and labels (other than the central Throneworld hex)?

Also, if someone would be so kind as to upload shots of the charts and tracks on the edges of the board, so that I might re-create them, I'd be very greatful.

The counter art is something I definitely would have to own a copy of the game (or at least have a scan of the rules) to tackle with any authority.

-b-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like it very much, except for the scanner area though, which could be improved in my opinion.

Maybe use a single satellite instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Perdue
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I think the scanner part was the coolest part!
I would like to see the action chits replaced with cards.
I like the improvements in the map. It would be awesome if Throneworld could come out again, maybe just a little improved, because otherwise it is an outstanding game, one in which several more famous games looted from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBobbio wrote:
Thanks Dan... I had the same thoughts about clutter, and so the next step was to tile the hexes and see if the map started to resemble one of Bill Cosby's sweaters from the '80s.

I agree with you about the white areas, as well as the block labels under each section of a hex. Treefrog/Warfrog games have lots of ugly, amateurish-looking white space, and it's become a pet peave of mine on game maps.

I don't own the game, so can someone tell me if the hexes vary in terms of markings and labels (other than the central Throneworld hex)?

Also, if someone would be so kind as to upload shots of the charts and tracks on the edges of the board, so that I might re-create them, I'd be very greatful.

The counter art is something I definitely would have to own a copy of the game (or at least have a scan of the rules) to tackle with any authority.

-b-

I'll see what I can do, Geek Mail me with whatever you need. I have my copy at hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone back a few steps in my approach to re-designing the map for Throneworld, and the latest attempt can be found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBobbio wrote:
I have gone back a few steps in my approach to re-designing the map for Throneworld, and the latest attempt can be found here.

Worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.