Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
This is a call out to anyone that plays this game.

I acquired a lot of the cards for this game (the equivalent to approx 1 booster box and one starter box, well over 700 cards) and have a good selection of all types of cards in the game.

Here is my question, what do you suggest for a good balanced deck in terms of how many of each phase, what specials etc should i try and use. my brain can't work out the numbers as having no experience with the game and i was wondering what other people use as a common draw deck.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I was the only crazy to buy that recently. I just acquired two starter New York City after realising that, after reading the rules, a 60 card regular starter was clearly not working.

I have yet to play it, so I can't really answer the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Marriner
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I used to really like this game despite it's fiddly-ness and other people generally not liking it. At the time (late 90's I guess) there were a couple of websites with some deckbuilding tips, one of them I happened to save that worked really well for me. I was initially building a site of my own with the eventual goal of online play, but that never came to fruition. This is all a long winded way of getting to this link:
http://www.amarriner.com/sctcg/info.php?URL=simbuild.html

That is the page I used for a long time to build decks for play (not using the theme city decks). It's not of my creation and I give credit to the author, but it seems his pages are not available any longer, alas. Hopefully that's helpful, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a deck with this distribution that works for 1 or 2 people:

23 phase I cards (10 provide sims)
20 phase II cards (13 require sims)
20 phase III cards (including 3 power plants)
1 event card

I think the basic guidelines are:
-About 1/3 of the deck should be of each phase, with slightly more phase I cards.
-if any phase has more cards than the rest, it needs to be phase I. Otherwise, people will draw lots of cards they can't play until later in the game. People can always play phase I cards.
-You need at least 4 cards providing sims on the table to advance to phase II, so be sure to include extra in the deck.
-You need at least 8 cards requiring sims to advance to phase III, so keep that in mind when putting phase I and II cards in the deck.
-You need a power plant to advance to phase III, so it's a good idea to have several in the deck so someone can draw it early enough in the game.
-You need the Mayor card; stick it to the side of the deck or something.
-Be careful sticking events in the deck, some of them are mild/harmless, but some (like fire or tornado) can give the mayor a ton of negative points.
-If you have city council character cards, you may want to throw some of those in to make voting more interesting.
-Throw in a few phase IV cards if you have them.
-Make sure you don't have cards with prerequisites if the required card(s) isn't in your deck.
-You may want to add several cards that have special abilities when they are all on the table (e.g. kindergarten, elementary school, high school. another example is the university cards). These are cool and give your city a sort of theme.

I hope that helps some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the help,

i did up a deck that is around:

40 phase I
35 phase II
30 phase III
15 miscellaneous cards

i was kinda gold fishing it last night i discovered 2 things right off the bat

1) phase one cards with no utilities suck (other then complex stuff)
2) I needed more phase I/II that require sims too move too phase III

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have exactly 4 white cards providing people. The solution is currently to drop down to 2 needed. Also, I have exactly 20 white cards. So I just made a 20/20/20 deck. Getting through the green phase wasn't too painful - either we drew right, or I have enough cards that require people. Also, I have 2 power plants.

I'm thinking I might need to change the rules a little to be 3 draw decks instead. There are more cards I could add to the later phases that would be fun but I can't because of the need to keep it limited. Maybe a deck for each phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.