United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unity Games is a local single day con that is held in the Boston area. I've been going since I discovered the event...I think UGIII was my first. For the past few Unity Games, I've been taking my son, Nicholas, and we always seem to have a great time. By far the highlight of the day for us this time around was playing our new copy of Monsters Menace America. I had told him that we'd be getting some new games to try through trades and the auction, but left it as a surprise as to what they were. When I let slip that this was one of them, he was immediately excited. Apparently my strategy of leaving the Avalon Hill game catalog where he might look through it had paid off. OK, I admit it, I left it in the magazine holder next to the toilet.

Jeff, who I bought the game from in the auction, said he would be working the front desk at noon time. Nicholas and I met him there just as we were sitting down to have some lunch. We got out our sandwiches and ripped off the shrinkwrap to check out the contents. Cool monster figures. Little tanks, airplanes, and missiles. Some counters. We punched things out and finished eating while checking out the components and the monsters special abilities. Oh, did I mention Derk stopped by to say hi? Cool.

We packed everything back in the box and went to find a spot to play. I was a little bit worried, but we quickly found a vacant spot. Perfect! We set the map out and starting setting up. We waited a bit to see if any interested parties would stroll by, but I thought since it would be the first time for both of us, we would just play against each other. I had read the rules ahead of time, knowing that we would probably play, and it was easy to teach Nicholas how to play. He chose Toxicor and the Navy and I picked Megaclaw and the Airforce. We took the first few turns slow as we figured things out, but soon were stomping all across the country. Nicholas, taking advantage of Toxicor's special ability visited two mutation sites and soon was protected by a radiation field as well as laser beam eyes. I focused on a balanced approach, building up health and infamy. Meanwhile, both our military branches were slowly building up as we weren't sure exactly when to commit forces against the monsters. Eventually we let fly, with spectacular results! Nicholas launched a cruise missile which only caused Megaclaw to mutate, gaining enhanced gills and fins, giving me a defensive bonus near water. I had gathered up all the units of the Air Force and launch a giant attack to stop the hideous Toxicor. But to no avail! Toxicor, thanks to his advantageous mutations wiped out the entire Air Force! Nicholas laughed with glee at his victory.

Before long, the pile of stomp markers was gone, and the monster challenge had begun. I had placed the last stomp marker, and was the challenger. The benevolent side of me chose to put that marker on a non-coastal space, so that my mutation would be of no use to me. What can I say, I'm a big softie. I had a small health advantage and as the challenger attacked first, so I thought I'd give Nicholas some hope.

The battle raged! Back and forth we fought, each doing their share of damage until finally Megaclaw had knocked Toxicor down to get 2 health points. Another hit and Megaclaw would be crowned champion of the monsters! Nicholas looked at my health, now at 8, and knew he needed a double smash to get the victory. He shook the dice, tossed them into the tower, and...DOUBLE SMASH!!! Woo-hoo!!! Toxicor was victorious!!!

It was a glorious moment and one I'm sure Nicholas will remember for the rest of his gaming career, which, thanks to incredibly fun games like Monsters Menace America, will be a long and enjoyable one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I happened to walk by just as Toxicor was rolling his Double Smash. It was great to see a father and son having fun together with a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.