Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two newbie type questions....

1) Is a lab an urban building? (I would say yes). But Farms and Mines are not.

2) I realize there are no hard and fast rules, but would sacrifice two or three civil actions for a good (ie: one that you can see as being particularly useful for yourself) card?

I've seen several posts where some have said you always wait for the card to get cheaper but having played a couple of games now I don't think that's the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie H
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry about that, Chief
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
I have two newbie type questions....

1) Is a lab an urban building? (I would say yes). But Farms and Mines are not.
Yes, Labs are Urban Buildings. The Farms and Mines cards have a slightly different color from the Urban Buildings cards.

Quote:
2) I realize there are no hard and fast rules, but would sacrifice two or three civil actions for a good (ie: one that you can see as being particularly useful for yourself) card?
That's the crux of the game. If you missed getting Age I Farm AND Mine upgrades, you might want to spend 3 actions to pick up a Coal card. If it's going to cost you more than two actions to work around NOT getting a particular tech, you might want to spend 3 actions to pick that tech up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't always wait for the card to get cheaper. Consider what the card is worth to the other players - you may not get another chance at it.

Spending 3 civil actions on a card that buys you an extra civil action every turn is usually well worth it. One that gets you the resources you need to make your actions worthwhile will also be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram Schvey
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Eddie H. But the general answer is that yes, sometimes (rarely) it is worth spending 2 or 3 civil actions to snag a key card (especially with leaders, wonders (particularly Age 3 wonders), and mines/farms, esp. if you missed an earlier upgrade). It can be even more important to snag key cards in 3- and 4-person games. But as Eddie H points out, it all depends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It very very rarely is worthwhile when you still only have 4 civil actions per turn. Later in the game you have more flexibility in your use of actions and it starts being worthwhile.

More likely to do it in a 2-player game than I am in multi-player since defensive drafting is more important in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.