Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Choosing the Start Marker action when you're already the starting player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the situation where I already have the starting marker, can I still choose the starting marker action in order to take advantage of the additional food on that space (in the family rules)? Or am I not able to take that action since I already am the starting player?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. From the rules (emphasis mine):

Page 9: Starting player and/or Minor Improvement wrote:
The player takes or retains the Starting player token. He may play one Minor Improvement from his hand

Edit: Added rule quote location
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, that makes sense now. Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
In the non-family game, the start player space is Start Player and/or Minor Improvement. Therefore, you can take it just for the minor improvement if you are already the start player. Also, it might be good to take it to block another player from taking it, especially if you can use the other action involved (food in the family version or Minor Improvement in the non-family version).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Also, it might be good to take it to block another player from taking it, especially if you can use the other action involved (food in the family version or Minor Improvement in the non-family version).

You can do this. But I would argue that (in general) this is almost certainly not your strongest available play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Also, it might be good to take it to block another player from taking it, especially if you can use the other action involved (food in the family version or Minor Improvement in the non-family version).

You can do this. But I would argue that (in general) this is almost certainly not your strongest available play.

In a late round, it could well be your strongest play; someone almost always takes start player in the late rounds to get family growth without room (or sometimes plow/sow), so it's irrelevant who had it last round.

And in the full game, if you have a valuable minor improvement to play, you might as well take the start player with the minor improvement rather than taking minor/major, so that you'll get the start player as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.