Popular Tags: [View All]
D E
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried to play a game where all tiles are face up? Either with a "Draw 2" or a "Draw 3 and discard" rule? I am curious (and may try it on my own) but I didn't see anything about it posted yet. I am wondering if this would help settle the question of race imbalance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would only imbalance the play further. Imagine Moloch, with a bomb at its very command every time it wants to make it. Besides, discarding just one, the most useless tile from a collection of 30 or 20 doesn't really seem too good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Galli
Italy
Como
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The different races are pretty balanced for what I feel. The rest it's just a matter of strategy and luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a little less randomness, you could try drawing to 4 tiles, and allowing to keep a hand of 3 tiles. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Cranor
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan for next time is to allow each player to sort their tiles into three groups of their choice. Each group is randomly shuffled into a stack. When drawing tiles, the player can choose freely which of their stacks to draw from. Because, yeah, the original game is fun tactically, but it really disappoints when someone's bad luck on draws totally decides the outcome, and that seems to keep happening (on the bright side, it always happens to my opponent)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they'll sort it into Units, Modules and Instants, and just draw whatever and whenever they'll need. Most of the time, all the units are going to go in the beginning, especially in Outpost's case, and if players aren't cautionous, they will be out of soldiers in the middle of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Cranor
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that a lot of the randomness is removed. But *something* has to be done about the prospect of drawing mostly orders on the first few turns--because as it stands that pretty much ruins the game when it happens. You have to discard your orders uselessly and then you don't have them later when you need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That means that either you shuffled your tiles badly, or you are out of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometime ago we've found another way of reducing randomness: every time you draw tiles you can throw back into undrawn-pile one of them and draw another one. This pretty helps when you draw three best units and don't want to throw away any of them or you have drawn three battles :)

Playing the open tiles sucks a lot. I've done that several times and none of players where satisfied with the game.

The way MichallusTG mentioned (sorting into three groups: units, modules, instants) is also nice way to reduce randomness, but I much prefer the first one, cause remember: randomness is part of this game: you should improvise, think of change of tactics when drawing new pieces. Modification should be only about eliminating situations, when you're not able to do anything and enemy is taking your units one by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.