Popular Tags: [View All]
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had two quick (~35 min. each) 3-player games of Wabash Cannonball at lunch today.
Here's a rundown of the first game.

Sequence #. [Player Name] - Action - Company $cost OR $winning bid

Initial Auction Results:
PRR - Sean $17
B&O - Brent $18
C&O - Brent $16
NYC - Costas $15

Turn 1:
1. Sean - EXP - PRR $4
2. Brent - EXP - B&O $5
3. Costas - CAP - B&O – Costas $14
4. Sean - EXP - PRR $8
5. Brent - EXP - C&O $4
6. Costas - CAP - PRR – Sean $12
7. Sean - CAP - NULL
8. Brent - EXP - C&O $4

1st Dividend
Co. Income:
PRR 11
NYC 8
B&O 7
C&O 9

Player Cash:
1. Sean $23
2. Costas $23
3. Brent $19

Turn 2:
1. Costas - CAP - PRR – Sean $23
2. Sean - EXP - PRR ?
3. Brent - EXP - B&O $6
4. Costas - EXP - B&O $7
5. Sean - EXP - PRR $3
6. Brent - EXP - B&O $4
7. Costas - CAP - B&O – Costas $12
8. Sean - DEV - Harrisburg (PRR +2 income)
9. Brent - CAP - B&O – Brent $11

2nd Dividend
Co. Income:
PRR 17
NYC 8
B&O 14
C&O 9

Player Cash:
1. Costas $27
2. Brent $25
3. Sean $18

Turn 3:
1. Costas - EXP - B&O $4
2. Sean - EXP - PRR $6
3. Brent - EXP - C&O ?
4. Costas - EXP - B&O $8 – Chicago; Wabash – Sean $13
5. Sean - EXP - PRR $8 - Chicago
6. Brent - CAP - Wabash – Brent $1
7. Costas - CAP - C&O – Brent $7
8. Sean - CAP - C&O – Sean $4

3rd Dividend
Co. Income:
PRR 25
NYC 8
B&O 23
C&O 12
Wabash 1

Player Cash/Shares:
1. Sean $60 / PRR x3, Wabash x1, C&O x1
2. Costas $59 / NYC x1, B&O x2
3. Brent $51 / C&O x2, B&O x2, Wabash x1

There were a couple needless mistakes. When I put the PRR up for auction at the start of turn 2, my initial bid was $19 which took Brent out of the auction (his current cash holdings). Sean promptly took me out of the auction by bidding $23 (mine and his current cash holdings). As it turns out, that share was only worth $22 anyways but the game would have turned out quite differently if given the chance to divert the PRR from reaching Chicago.

Also, when Sean won the Wabash after it opened, he should have immediately taken it to Chicago. Instead, he took the heavily capitalized PRR into Chicago, which then resulted in the Wabash not having enough capital to make it to Chicago.

This was a great game in an otherwise mediocre day. Quick, tense and fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rion Hanson
United States
Juneau
AK
flag msg tools
Seems to me that if someone is able to get all three PRR shares they will almost always win. Also how did you let wabash go for a dollar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nitroburn1 wrote:
Seems to me that if someone is able to get all three PRR shares they will almost always win.

Yes indeed. See 'needless mistakes' above.

Quote:
Also how did you let wabash go for a dollar?

The Wabash was dead at that point. Brent took it to trigger the end of game; there were no expansions left and it was at $1 income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
nitroburn1 wrote:
Seems to me that if someone is able to get all three PRR shares they will almost always win.

Nope. Been there, done that, broken other players who tried that.

Quote:
Also how did you let wabash go for a dollar?

With $1 it can't build. If there are no Expands left and the game will end this round, that's a fine bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
nitroburn1 wrote:

Given that Sean won with his three shares of Pennsylvania by a single buck, his strategy was not a sure thing. But it did win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It is hard to get enough capital into the PRR as a single owner to be able to afford to reach Chicago if another pair of players get their first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rockusultimus wrote:
We had two quick (~35 min. each) 3-player games of Wabash Cannonball at lunch today.

I am really impressed you got two games in at lunch time! My group suffers from AP for just about every game ever made...I'd be happy getting a single Chicago Express game in within an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
conky wrote:
rockusultimus wrote:

I am really impressed you got two games in at lunch time! My group suffers from AP for just about every game ever made...I'd be happy getting a single Chicago Express game in within an hour.

Gee, how long do your Chicago Express games usually take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played Wabash at Unity Games XV, it went wonderfully quick. We all were 1st time players and we finished a 5 player in less than an hour. But we just finished a 4 player Chicago Express game (2 players new to CE) and it took almost 2 hours. It was ridiculous. I understand we chat more with a group of friends but some of the members just take forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
conky wrote:
We all were 1st time players and we finished a 5 player in less than an hour. But we just finished a 4 player Chicago Express game (2 players new to CE) and it took almost 2 hours. It was ridiculous.

You may find with time and more plays that your playtime is reduced. It's easy to over-analyze your next move but choices become more clear with experience. You'll find yourself thinking, 'I've got all these shares, I need to burn as many capitalizations as I can so they don't get diluted and the game doesn't end too soon.' Or 'dude's got all those shares now, I need to make sure the game ends this turn or I won't be able to catch up.' Also, playing with poker chips helps a lot.

That said, we've had games end in 30 minutes and some stretch to 90 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
conky wrote:
When I played Wabash at Unity Games XV, it went wonderfully quick. We all were 1st time players and we finished a 5 player in less than an hour. But we just finished a 4 player Chicago Express game (2 players new to CE) and it took almost 2 hours. It was ridiculous. I understand we chat more with a group of friends but some of the members just take forever.

Gee, Bob, that has *got* to be a new record! Almost 2 hours? Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:

Gee, Bob, that has *got* to be a new record! Almost 2 hours? Really?

It was right around that number. The last couple of moves in the game took a lifetime as folks were standing up and over-analyzing what to do. We are playing again Sun night so it will be interesting to see how far that play time number drops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we played 2 more games tonight. One with 4 players (game was new to 2 of them) and the other was 5 players where everyone knew how to play. The first game, including the teaching time, took 2 hours. The 2nd game took 1 hour. Regardless to the length, we had a blast. The interaction (e.g. backstabbing) was hilarious and we cannot wait to break it out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.