Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I need a bit of advice please. Two of my good friends are getting married soon and I'm trying to select a few boardgames as wedding presents.

They have recently become avid (rabid) gamers after we introduced them both to some of our favourite games, two weeks ago. They've become obsessed with gaming, but haven't started their collection. So this present will be the basis for their games collection.

Ideally, I am looking for games that play well with two players, but also scale-up to accommodate more players (since we also want to be invited around for game nights in the future).

My friends are already both familiar with, and really like:
Pandemic
Saboteur
Ticket to Ride
Citadels

And one friend has played and enjoyed:
Mr. Jack
Modern Art
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Battle Line
High Society

However, that friend did not like:
San Juan
Through the Desert

No wargames, please, they are into tactics and strategy but not violence. Nothing longer than 120 mins, but should have some depth and a fair bit of interaction.

I am leaning towards:
Thebes
Dominion
Zooloretto

I'm also happy to buy them duplicates of some of the games to which we've already introduced them, however, any ideas for new games would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis
Keltis
Stone Age
would be all worth a look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D i a n a
Indonesia
Jakarta Barat
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stone Age
Prince of Florences

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
The Pillars of the Earth
Taluva
Arkadia

All beautiful games that can play two or more. Good investments for a collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27424

They always talk about how much they love Balloon Cup. Not sure if your bride and groom would feel the same.

I'm not sure the expansion to Thurn and Taxis is necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I note 3 votes immediately for Stone Age. So that will likely be the first game. It's been on my own wishlist for a while.

But still open to any other suggestions, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is a great 2 player game and despite what most people here think, it's not bad with 4 either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brinksw wrote:
Carcassonne is a great 2 player game and despite what most people here think, it's not bad with 4 either!

I'd also vote for Carcassonne. Works with 2-4, and there are tons of expansions available if they like it. Stone Age would also seem to be a good fit.

If they enjoyed Pandemic, then Shadows over Camelot is something to consider. It's cooperative, but with the possibility of a traitor. It plays best with 4-7 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanito
Spain
Córdoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they'll play 2-player game Carcassonne, Mr. Jack, Cold War, Pillars from the Earth, Camelot Legends and Wooly Bully are good options.

When the party is ready for more players, Ticket to Ride, Once upon a time, Red November, Escape from Colditz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.