Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fellow geeks have already pointed out that the dice included in RttA have a rather handcrafted look which may be pretty but is also difficult to read when the light is not too bright.

So I decided to pimp up my dice by coloring them with a black fine-tip permanent marker. Here's the result:

Modifying the dice was pretty easy since the images on the dice are already slightly embossed which means that you can trace the image without ruining the entire dice.

So all it took was a fine-tip marker and some patience (took me about an hour to color all 7 dice). After all the dice were colored I used super fine grain (400) sandpaper to carefully correct any minor mistakes. Using benzine or any other thinner is not a good idea since the result looks rather smeared. Of course, using sandpaper on wooden dice has to be done carefully : put the sandpaper on clean, plain and solid underground and carefully, slowly but steadily move the die over the paper in a circular motion. Don't press too hard and don't go too fast. Take a break after a few seconds, remove the dust and examine the result.

All in all im quite pleased with the result: the readability (aka playability) of the dice has greatly improved while the look is still visually pleasing. It still bothers my a little bit that the base color of the dice is so different but the game itself is great so I can overlook this flaw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Vötter
Austria
Kufstein
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, i have made this with color.
I have taken Overhead marker.

It is relativ easy with them. With color, it looks better than the black version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
Rvtter wrote:
It is relativ easy with them. With color, it looks better than the black version.
I guess you're right. Unfortunately I had only a black marker in the house and since I'm a rather impatient person I decided to go for black laugh

Anyway could you please upload a picture of your dice? I'm just curious to see how it looks when the sides have different colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does any of the marker go onto your hands when rolling? And doesn't it smudge into the wood when you play? I find the heat-stamped brown quite adequate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Does any of the marker go onto your hands when rolling? And doesn't it smudge into the wood when you play?

No it doesn't. Permanent marker is waterproof (that's why it's permanent ) so unless you soak your hands in Acetone before rolling the die you won't have a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another example using 2 colors to show the skulls:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.