Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just curious, how was the order of the 2nd tiebreaker determined? Is it to balance the cards (which may slightly favor the Underworld, then Monks & Mystics, etc.)? Was it arbitrary?

Also, have there been many games that come down to the 2nd tiebreaker anyway? I would assume not that many do.

Thanks.

(edited from 3rd to 2nd)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Struijf
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin,

a good question - the answer is not arbitrary, although it is true that very, very few games get decided like this. I think this is an event which might happen once in 50 games.

Anyway, here is the answer to your question: each of the four Groups (colours) has a total of 58 Influence Tokens earned through its 14 Intrigue Cards. However, the composition of these across the Influence Types varies, as follows:

(type of Influence earned in the order: Gold - Fame - Following - Power
Good & Decent Citizens: 14 - 12 - 15 - 17
Monks & Mystics: 15 - 14 - 17 - 12
Secret Societies: 12 - 17 - 14 - 15
Underworld: 17 - 15 - 12 - 14

Some thought went into this: the Underworld is more interested in Gold, the Monks in Following, etc.

In the final reckoning, if all else is equal, I felt One Gold token would always be slightly better than one other Influence token. After all, you have a real choice if you earn Gold, so a Gold token is a bit more likely to win you area majority than the average Fame or Power token. Therefore, the Group (colour) which over the whole deck of cards is most likely to earn you Gold is "the best" colour, and so forth.

So this small overall advantage to Underworld (and disadvantage to Secret Societies, etc) is compensated through the 2nd tie breaker, which is based (in reverse order) on the potential Gold earnings per Group.

Does it make sense ?

shake

Cheers,

Peter
Geode Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting stuff, and yes, it does make sense. Thanks for the insight. I am looking forward to getting and playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.