Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Thoresen
Norway
Hønefoss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
I'm visiting London next week, and was wondering if any of you local heroes could point me in the direction of some stores that sell boardgames... ?

Cheers,
Hans

http://boardgamemaniac.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Turfrey
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you can stand a small trip out of the centre then I would suggest Leisure games on Ballards lane in Finchley.

http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/ContactUs.html

which will give you a map.

In the centre of town Playin' games on Museum street used to be the best shop but went downhill badly a while ago when they had a complete change of staff/management. Stock levels were terrible. This may well have improved significantly since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
England
Harrow
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
ProfT wrote:
I would suggest Leisure games on Ballards land in Finchley.

Just for our readers' benefit Prof T meant Ballards Lane (but the map would have showed it). Turn right when you've walked up the drive way from Finchley Central Station on the Northern Line, it's on the same side of the lane.

Every time I've gone there (not many, it takes me a while from where I live), they've let me come to BGG to check out games and stuff. They're really helpful guys and of course they play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Turfrey
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ProfT wrote:
I would suggest Leisure games on Ballards land in Finchley.

D'oh! Fat fingers strike again - edited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bijou Venus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
There is also Compendium in Greenwich
http://www.compendia.co.uk
They have quite a few more traditional games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also want to consider ordering online from www.boardgameguru.co.uk and pickup the games from a London On Board games meetup (www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/) where the owner of www.boardgameguru.co.uk, Paul Lister, is the current organiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Primoz Jakelj
Slovenia
9240 Ljutomer
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear friends,
I am visiting London next week for my first time.
Since my friends and Internet gave me enough information, where to go and what to see in London, I am also planing to visit some boardgame stores (and buy some games of course ) Can you please help me here? Please be so kind and give me name, location and easiest way to find them (from city center).
Thanks guys, greetings from Slovenia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The orc's nest as mentioned in the first reply to the original post is AMAZING. They have a really nice collection of wargames, and a good collection of other games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three that are mentioned earlier Orc's Nest etc are pretty much in the centre. Orc's Nest is extremely close to Leicester Square tube station (their map is pretty good). You want to be heading out on the Charing Cross East exit of the tube station, turn right and Earlham Street is on your right. Look for the Palace Theatre and Marquis of Granby pub.

Museum Games is right near the British Museum - you won't need directions for that. Forbidden Planet is on Shaftesbury Avenue which is in between them. If you get a google map you will see it. It has a junction with Charing Cross Road (the road you go on when you exit Leicester Square tube station).

Leisure Games was described above. It is a tube journey to Finchley Central which is on the Northern Line (takes about 20-25 minutes) and a couple of minutes walk along a straight road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the Orcs nest to be expensive, and not very friendly unless you are into your mini's games.

Leisure games have a lot more games and friendly service.

Playin' games are probably the most expensive.

I would second www.boardgameguru.co.uk as a great place to buy games, and collect them from the London On Board meetup near St Pauls. (and you will save 20%+ on the above stores pricing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
I find the Orcs nest to be expensive, and not very friendly unless you are into your mini's games.

Leisure games have a lot more games and friendly service.

Playin' games are probably the most expensive.

These are all true facts. Especially the unfriendliness of Orcs Nest.

Forbidden Planet, on Shaftsbury has a decent selection of games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet to get a simple hello, or good morning from anyone at Orc's Nest shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
Yet to get a simple hello, or good morning from anyone at Orc's Nest shake

Back in the days before i sold boardgames i used to buy about one game a week from Orcs Nest. Not once did i get a 'Good Morning' or a 'Thank you' - but they would get up from painting a miniature to take my payment for a boardgame. The final straw was when i asked for advice about different editions of a game,'Dunno' the answer , my follow up request for news on a new release was met with the same answer. That was the last time i visited. Having related this story to other gamers i have been told they are nice guys once you get to know them.

There could not be a greater contrast with Leisure games in Finchley where the staff are friendly, knowledgeable and make the customer feel very welcome.

If you are visiting London the 20 Minutes journey on the Northern Line is worth it to visit Leisure Games - their range is five times as large as Orcs Nest and Playing Games combined. But most importantly you will be made to feel welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much another vote for Leisure Games. They're my default localish online store and were well worth a visit when I found myself in London for a couple of days. The trip north isn't that far

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, do nobody except me have a good exprience from Orcs Nest. They certanly was a lot nicer than any boardgame store I been too in Sweden. I never was to Leisure games though. (I was just in London for 3 or 4 days).

They where nice, happy, friendly, and helping with unrelated turism issues (;

(Although I did end up not going to Camden but giving up and useing money on some touristy travel card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Primoz Jakelj
Slovenia
9240 Ljutomer
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for your help.
I visited all three stores in London (Orcs Nest, Forbidden Planet, Playin' Games) and to be honest with you, I was disapointed. Expensive games, and totaly boring offer of games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Grant
Scotland
Windsor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to Paddington, get the fast train to Reading (about 30 mins)-exit station, cross over the road step into Eclectic Games and you will be in heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Bennett
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frasergrant wrote:
Go to Paddington, get the fast train to Reading (about 30 mins)-exit station, cross over the road step into Eclectic Games and you will be in heaven.

Yes another vote for Eclectic Games. Very knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piki wrote:
Thanks guys for your help.
I visited all three stores in London (Orcs Nest, Forbidden Planet, Playin' Games) and to be honest with you, I was disapointed. Expensive games, and totaly boring offer of games...

Agreed - you should have visited Leisure Games - 15 minutes on the Northen line to Finchley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to know the guys in Orc's Nest, they are Ok once you get to know them, but they are interested in MTG and Miniatures, not board games. They sell the Minatures and card games downstairs with all the board games on the upper level. On the plus side you are left to your own devices, you can spend hours checking out the games. They are Huddersfield Town supporters - its not a happy life.

To find Orcs Nest go up Charing Cross Road (with all the big bookshoops) until you ge to Les Misérables at the Queens Theatre on the junction with Shaftesbury Avenue. Orc's Nest is in the little street almost opposite Les Mis, slightly to the right, there are usually some market stalls line up on the street outside selling clothes, etc...

Here's a map...

http://www.orcsnest.com/shop.htm

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Asplund
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on a business trip a few weeks ago to London, and with the current state of the exchange rate on the GBP, I figured I would help with my share of bringing the economy back in UK by spending money (I'm a hero, I know...)
So, I thought I'd buy some boardgames with me on the way back home.

I was working out at Old Street, so I headed out of work a little early one day to take the northern line up to Leisure Games. It was a bit out of the way, but it had some really nice and friendly people there. I was looking for some sleeves for Pandemic, and some Agricola wooden markers and was decided on bringing a few other games with me back home.
I got all the help I needed, they went and fetched cards from the back to make sure I had the right size of sleeves and said when they would expect restocking of the item they were sold out of.
I think the trip time there caused me to even stay a few minutes after closing, but I never felt like they rushed me out of the store to get closed.

On the Friday, I was to head back, and finished a bit early again (not intentional this time), so I had about an hour to kill before heading out to Heathrow and decided to look into Orc's Nest on the way there.
The lady there was fairly nice, but didn't at all seem interested in answering questions more than saying that she didn't know and she was not into board games.

The sortiment is not bad in either place, but Leisure had a bigger stock of items, especially accessories.

All in all it was a good trip, and I got to go to one of the London On Board meetups as well ( http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/ ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Parker
United Kingdom
London (west)
flag msg tools
badge
Tat Tvam Asi
mbmbmbmbmb
I would support the comments about Leisure Games. Board games in UK generally are expensive and getting more so - although Gameslore online tend to be one of the cheaper sources.

When i've been to the Leisure Games they're always had a good stock, friendly and helpful attitude and they tend to know about the games they sell, plus they have a website. thumbsup Playin'Games had a good stock, but no website and tended to be more expensive. Orcs Nest never bothered with - poor choice and not that friendly atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to travel a bit there is a fantastic FLGS in Cambridge! (forgot the name) absolutely worth the trip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
If you are willing to travel a bit there is a fantastic FLGS in Cambridge! (forgot the name) absolutely worth the trip

I hear there is also an interesting store in Glasgow. Bern has a nifty one, also.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update in the interests of fairness:

the girl behind the counter at Orcs Nest smiled and wished me a good morning last week surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.