Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Has anyone tried rushing yet with James Raynor's "Covert Ops" leadership card? Eight initial units is the most in the game. Two of them have MZZ Splash Damage. I don't really see anyone able to hold their main against this.

First Turn, assuming you're sitting to the right of your Target:
Place Mobilize on Target
Place Mobilize on Target
Place Golden Mobilize on Target
Place Build on your Homeworld.

Build 2 marines and the golden order module, and whatever else you want. That turn you hit them with 5 marines, 2 firebats, and 3 ghosts, and in the course of setup and the first turn draw a minimum of 19 combat cards (the entire deck less one card).

Target has no chance to construct Orbital Defense before the first Golden Mobilize hits him. "Game over Man, Game Over".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Krebs
msg tools
1st turn rushes doesnt really work well in Starcaft we have find out.
If i see a transport to my homeworld i place a Mobilize at the bottom and simply place build/mobilize on a third planet out of opponents reach.
Now im able to walk away, build a new base and retake my homeworld. i also have a 4th order left which can be used to build units at the new base or in the homeworld if opp didnt take all spaces there or just research and have some sort of "normal" first turn and crush the rusher by turn 3 or 4 due to his crappy first turn.

Edit:
Ok i see you want to be the first player to place a order. Mention that you can never use 3 attacks then because your opponent can use the final order to overlay your build order and maybe counterinvade your base or build air defense (without you beeing able to build offensive module)or something like that...still the walk away come back tactis goes well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
First to the counter-attack manuver: There are two cases: no transport and transport already. If there's no transport, well, his homeworld is capped, so he'll have to take an event card for his mobilize unless he throws orders onto yet a third world too. If he does have a transport, then he's welcome to come try taking Jimmy's base, with its initial forces. It can be defended by up to 4 infantry, some with splash damage. Many factions only come with 2 guys initially, so good luck with that.

As to the rebasing move, I think you're right, this is the best approach in a multi-polar game. I hope there's a back door out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Krebs
msg tools
The homeworld is not capped in according to your first post. You sit right and place first order und resolve first order)
Ok lets go this trough...You (Raynor) have a transport to me (rdm zerg) and place order 1 in my HS, i go for order 1 in my hs, both order 2 in my HS, both order 3 in my HS, then you have to go for the one build in your HS and i overlay it with mobilize. Now i have 2 Orders on top and the first (on my HS)is a build order with which i build some units + transport to your HS and other stuff like Air defense. You reveal first mobilize (maybe the yellow so just a card) and take 1 field, i can now alway strike from my base to your only field on the planet and you cannot invade my base becaue you cannot overstack from this field (depends on exact number of units how i would defend myself here. So you only can take 1 field with each of your mobilizes (you only have 2 if we are true) and i can at least walk to your planet if you leave it unguarded.

The cool thing in our discussion is that you maybe see that it is nearly irrelevant that you have some more starting units because you will never come to use them effectivly. Marines and Ghosts are mostly always dead in a Counterattack and with one build order the defensive player also have 5 starting + 2 units, but you cannot use build to have extra troops for an attack in this scenario.

I never see a rush really went well when experienced players are the combatants but it may go well... just a little, little mistake and it could be over. Also it depends on the races you are playing and the planets you have (a 2 spaced planet is in some cases harder to defend than a 4 spaced because the defender can stack and buildup more units out of reach for the next mobilize because offensive player can only attack 1 space with one order and defender has more left to counterattack and overflow back)

Also on your note that i maybe have only 2 Units and you defend with 4....
First if it comes to this situation that i have to think of this attack im in a really good position because my mobilize is always the last order i resolve in our described scenario and so my homeworld seems save.
Second i can build 2 extra unit
Third you will never splash Beserkers in the defense with the Fire guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
If raynor gets one of the gold order planets to start with he can do a nuke rush too. you get gold research on that system for free so you can put nuke and a protection card like cloak or lockdown directly in your hand on the first turn and go nuke stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
oliverk110 wrote:
The homeworld is not capped in according to your first post. You sit right and place first order und resolve first order)
By "right" I meant "left".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EMELT
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind the capability of Raynor's Covert Ops Leadership card ability to be able to move ghost units from this card to adjacent planets even without a transport.

This can allow for sneak atacks deep in the rear and not so accessable areas of the enemy, as well as for throwing up an expansion even if your home planet orders get blocked before you can get a transport built.

This could work out well with your strategy if you place your starting transport to your opponents homeworld and you then can still place a mobilize and build on an adjacent planet if they try a counter attack too.

I double checked with the FFG that this is the way the Coverts Ops card worked with this rules question:

Q: Does the stage 1 leadership card for the Raynor faction "Covert Operations" allow you to place ghost units from this card to an adjacent planet with a mobilize order on it if you do not have any transports to that planet?

"...When you resolve a Mobilize order, you may move any Ghost(s) from this card to the active planet (as if they were on the planet).

The reason I ask is because the card states 'as if they were on the planet'. So you would probably be able to mobilize from the card to the planet since its contents are considered 'on the active planet'.

This could be used to attack the 'rear' areas of an enemy with ghosts (and nukes) without the use of transports, as well as to expand to adjacent planets without transports to them.

Is this the intention of the card?

A: Yes, you may move the ghosts even if you do not have a transport.

The ghost's are only considered "on the planet" for movement purposes. You must still follow all placement rules of order tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.