Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Piotrowski
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
as far as I know, there are some free platforms for online (board) gaming. Assuming that someone is going to build another one, but based on pay-per-game business model (or pay-per-table-setup - like in DoW website) are there any financial requirements regarding cost of licences?
Are there any legal issues - especially copyrights/licences/whatever - concerning launching such a website/platform?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that any money paid for licences will be completely drowned out by the development costs.

I have heard that SBW (the biggest online board game playing place) actually gets paid to host the games, rather than the other way around.

As a last point, Game Table Online tried to make a go of a pay-to-use system for their games, but has now switched to being ad supported. I suspect that they didn't get enough people in when they were a pay site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hexwar.com is a subscription based online service for playing wargames. Don't know if there are others. Hexwar does have a license for the games they have on their site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Wilke
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

I have heard that SBW (the biggest online board game playing place) actually gets paid to host the games, rather than the other way around.

I assume that you meant BSW (Brettspielwelt)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparhawk wrote:
wmshub wrote:

I assume that you meant BSW (Brettspielwelt)?
Oops. blush Too many acronymis in my head, they get jumbled up sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.