Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was about a year ago that I started playing the Fox's Teeth as my command in the Sword and Dragon BattleTech campaign. Unfortunately, they only managed the two missions before Sarah, my opponent of the time, got a job that kept her unavailable at all the times I would have liked to have played her. Night shift does that.

However, with Josh and Rich finding the game enjoyable - and playing Sorenson's Sabres - it was time for me to resurrect the old command and send them out into the field again. They'd already successfully performed a Recon and a Supply run, now, with almost 500 Warchest Points, it was time for them to go on a Pursuit mission: pursuing and intercepting two lances of Kuritan mechs.

Randy would be my fellow member of the Fox's Teeth, controlling half of the mechs. Four of our Mechs had moved ahead of the Kuritan mechs and were waiting to intercept them; the members of our Command Lance. Randy, who has a love of physical attacks, took control of Ian McKinnon's Black Knight and the Hatchetman, leaving me with the Cataphract and the Enforcer.

Pursuing the Kuritan mechs were two mechs of our Recon lance. I, of course, took the Wolfhound, which is my favourite mech of all time. (Irrational? Perhaps, but I really enjoy using it). Randy had Sara Lytton's Trebuchet, a replacement for her destroyed Commando.

Josh and Rich took control of the eight Kuritan mechs. Eight! At least their main aim would be to escape and not to destroy us. Here are the manifests of what we were going in with and against:

The Fox's Teeth
Black Knight Ian (j) - Ian McKinnon (p3, g2)
Cataphract George (s) - George Lytton (p3, g2)
Hatchetman Austin (i) - Austin Vorster (p4, g3)
Enforcer Daniel (q) - Daniel Waylen (p4, g3)
Wolfhound WLF-1 (e) - Ian McKinnon (p3, g2)
Trebuchet (m) - Sara Lytton (p4, g3)

House Kurita Militia - all p5, g4
Cicada (c)
Assassin (b)
Whitworth (x2) (l, n)
Dragon (x2) (k, t)
Clint (d)
Longbow (f)

Letters indicate the codes on the bottom of the mech figures.

The Mission:

Well, here they come. This picture shows the Kuritan mechs making their way towards the four Fox's Teeth mechs. The terrain was some hills and copses of trees, but not really that much. Unfortunately for us, for I would have loved to have been stopping the enemy from crossing the map and going to the far side in an area of heavy woods - their speed wouldn't be as much a factor!

To the left of the picture heading towards the far end is the Cicada. For this mission, it was the mech I dreaded most - a running speed of 12 meant it would cross the board entirely too quickly, and would be terribly hard to hit. We needed to stop 5 mechs from exiting to win the scenario.

I parked my Enforcer in front of the Cicada and shot at it in round 2, hitting it with my prototype Gauss-X. Woo! 15 damage! Unfortunately, it wasn't a leg hit, instead blowing off one of its arms. What good was that?

Randy was moving the Ian's prototype Black Knight up so that its TSM would be able to activate. With the hatchet it was carrying, that meant an incredible 30 points of damage to whatever it hit! Josh and Rich bounded the rest of their mechs forward: some jumping, some running, and some lumbering, like the Longbow.

Our Trebuchet and Wolfhound entered the fray, with the Wolfhound pummeling the Longbow from behind, with the Trebuchet going after one of the Whitworths. The Enforcer had another go at the Cicada, but could hit the thing with anything more than a lone Medium Laser. The next thing we knew, it was gone.

The Kuritan mechs got closer, and we gave them as good as we could. However, it was really hard. We also were having awful luck - our hits were penetrating the inner structure but not destroying it, and also not inflicting criticals! My Enforcer took a bunch of hits to its back from the Longbow. Boy, my mech was lightly armoured there! The resulting criticals took out one of its lasers. Why me?

At least the Black Knight managed to take out the Clint; first knocking it to the ground and then destroying it outright!

From here, things got depressing. The faster mechs were closer to the edge, so we turned our guns on them. Josh's Assassin took several Enforcer hits to the leg, reducing it to 1 internal structure point and causing it to fall over. Josh then fell when trying to rise, but the mech stayed operational. The next attempt got it up, and it limped off the map to safety! Argh! It was soon joined by one of the Dragons, and we now had to stop all the remaining mechs from escaping to gain victory.

One of the Whitworths (n) and the other Dragon (k) were destroyed - my Enforcer taking out the Whitworth, with the Black Knight taking out the Dragon. Left on the board was a Longbow and a Whitworth (l), but the Whitworth was too close to the edge. A last salvo at it was ineffective, and it reached safety.

Our remaining Mechs surrounded the Longbow, and let it know what we felt. Four mechs destroyed, four mechs escape: a defeat for the Fox's Teeth!

Post Mission Notes:
This was an extremely difficult mission for us, although we were desperately unlucky - both the Cicada and the Assassin were on the brink of destruction before they escaped.

More serious was the damage to our warchest; 400 points lost, and we hadn't completed the objectives, so there was no salvage. The result of that meant we couldn't repair our mechs that were damaged!

We're going to have to do a Recon/Supply Run double, and hope that with our command lance basically out of action due to damage that the Medium lance, which I haven't used yet, can take up the Supply Run effectively.

Initial Warchest Points: 460
Mission: Pursuit: -400
Final Warchest Points: 60

We moved back to the XP system described in the starterbook and Total Warfare: 1 xp for each warrior for participating, with 1 bonus XP to the best pilot (as voted by the opposition) of each flight; I think Ian McKinnon gained that for his hatcheting manuevers.

This mission took 8 rounds and about 3 hours to play through; quite a lot less than the Supply Run we'd also played today (13 rounds, 4 hours) considering the much greater number of mechs in play. Of course, they disappeared fairly quickly as well...

This was an extremely entertaining day, despite the poor end for our forces. Two big games of BattleTech. The game does take quite some time to play; it may get somewhat quicker as Josh and Rich get more used to the rules and strategy, but it's never going to be really quick. Still, it repays the time spent with a really enjoyable time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lupi
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that brings back memories, such a good fun game. (Just don't ask why I bought virtually every item pre €}&%kids intervention except the Star League source manual).

Is there a reason you are using such large die for the movement modifier tracking? When I lived in the Seattle area and played with a weekly group there I bought some micro die (not as small as the ones you see in the pocketmodel bag, but less obtrusive on the map) that I really liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are the dice we have. Getting new dice can be quite expensive.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.