Subject: Recommendation for a monster wargame. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone got anything to suggest?

Only real qualifications I have is that is must currently be in print, and preferably not world war 2. I am kind of worn out looking for out of print items and already own EuroFront II.

It is either a monster wargame, or Rebel Seas and Monsoon whatever expansions to Close Action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
1914: Twilight in the East (GMT)
Carthage: The Ancient World Vol. II (GMT)
Wellington's Victory (SPI, SPI/TSR) OOP but easily to obtain
War between the States (DG)
Storm of Steel (DG)

When you have played these come back and I will give you some advice on WW2 monster wargames you then might be interested to play (there is more than EuroFront II).

Heck, I still do it:
GMT: The Battle for Normandy (P500, you save money)
GMT: Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov
MMP: Case Blue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MMP: The Devil's Cauldron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Northbridge
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Close Action is great, but it's not really a monster game. I am involved in a 43 player email game of the Battle of the Chesapeake Scenrio from Rebel Seas which is currently in Turn 17, one player per ship, one turn per week, using the signalling rules, so you have no real idea what your colleagues are doing.

That's a monster game, but only for the hero who is GM'ing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scotty Dave wrote:
Close Action is great, but it's not really a monster game. I am involved in a 43 player email game of the Battle of the Chesapeake Scenrio from Rebel Seas which is currently in Turn 17, one player per ship, one turn per week, using the signalling rules, so you have no real idea what your colleagues are doing.

That's a monster game, but only for the hero who is GM'ing it!

Yeah, I know. Its just if I don't find a monster wargame I want to pull the trigger on, I will default back to the Close Action expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be interested in World War One games? I know several monster and mini monster games that are excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Would you be interested in World War One games? I know several monster and mini monster games that are excellent.

Yes, I have been thinking real hard about Twilight in the East, but I am just not sure if that is the one or not, as I am sure I have been overlooking others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres a couple that I recommend. The Great War in Europe: Deluxe Edition a mini monster. The Western Front: 1914 to 1918 can be played in one map scenarios or combined with the rest of this series:

Tannenberg: Eagles in the East / Galicia: The Forgotten Cauldron
The 1916 Brusilov Offensive / Gorlice-Tarnow Breakthrough
Serbia the Defiant / Romania: Transylvanian Gambit
The Italian Front: 1915-1918

This is a true monster and nice system for portraying The Great War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you like ACW I'm quite fond of MMP/Gamers regimental sub series...

the best being
This Terrible Sound (but a bit much for 2 players)
or a little less monstrous:
Three Battles of Manassas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Northbridge
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in the Napoleonic period, then La Bataille de Quatre Bras is in print, and gives you a genuinely monstrous system applied to a relatively small battle, so it is reasonably manageable.

Storm of Steel (WW1) has been mentioned. It's also not quite a full monster, but it is three maps, takes a long time, and has a very smart use of cards to enhance its game system - I really like it.

Depending on how hard you want to search, you should be able to pick up a copy of Siege of Jerusalem on ebay within a few weeks, for well under $100. Again, I would not classify it as a total monster, but it is big, quite easy to get into, and pretty well the only show in town for the period.

Back to Napoleon, GMT's Austerlitz 1805 has plenty of monster characteristics - four maps and more counters than you can shake a stick at. It's not held in universally high esteem, and it will give you the classic retro monster feel of having to fix large holes in the rules. However, it has some very interesting ideas, and more to the point can be had on the cheap, so there's not much lost if you don't like it.

CoA's Summer Storm on Gettysburg is also a half monster - two maps (plus another two half sized operational maps) and about 1000 brigade level counters. It's rules are a mess too, but you can fight your way through if you are determined enough. Out of Print, but easy to find and not expensive.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.