Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Random and alternative ways to play Star Wars miniatures.

Random Faction
1D10
1 Old Republic
2 Sith
3 Mandalorian
4 Republic
5 Separatists
6 Rebel
7 Empire
8 New Republic
9 Yuuzhan Vong
10 any

Random point costs
1D6
1 100
2 150
3 200
4 250
5 300
6 350

Random Squad building restrictions - one roll affecting both players1D8
1 Standard
2 50% Faction Pure* - a maximum of 50% Fringe characters
3 100% Faction Pure* - No Fringe.
4 Big Guns - minimum character point cost 40 points.
5 Lil' guns - maximum character point cost 25 points
6 Squad must include a single Commander and followers.
7 Squad can have no Unique characters
8 Light/Dark - ignore rolled Factions, one player plays Light Side Factiosn the other Dark side. Mandalorian count as Fringe.

* Reinforcements/Reserves do not count as part of this limit, neither do characters brought in my Special Abilities or Command Effect, e.g. Ulic can bring in Mandalores, all characters in a Mandalore the Ultimate squad will count as Mandalorian.

We've been playing with these charts now for a couple of years and it really makes the game fun. The randomness does mean we cannot really pre-plan squads so have to make them up on the night. But it means that we play varied squads and that we don't ignore Factions just because they are not as competetive.

The extra restrictions can make squad building interesting. Especially the 100% Faction Pure - no Boba Fett and it limits many Factions door control. I like the max. 25pt games because it changes the top characters, suddenly Bossk Bounty Hunter and Guri become top characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have also done a variety of odd game scenarios,

My personal favourite was "Will the real Darth Vader please stand up" where each side had to include a version of Darth Vader. Last Vader standing was the winner. It was a good multiplayer romp.

We have also tried to come up with a safari hunting game in which there both sides were hunting creatures and trying to get pts from killing them off, but we never got the rules quite workign properly.

If you have spent loads of money on the minis, you may as well gert good use out of them, thats what I say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:
If you have spent loads of money on the minis, you may as well gert good use out of them, thats what I say.

Couldn't agree more with that.

Any minis I don't seem to be using in the skirmish game I then try to include in an RPG adventure, eg. I have an underlying Nikto subplot in my campaign, meaning I actually get use out of my Nikto Soldiers.

That safari hunting idea sounds interesting. Gives me another idea for a scenario.
Bounty Hunting
Both players must have 10 different characters with not more than 20HP each. One ont the, is has a Bounty on his head, but is a shape-shifter. So each player secretly puts a marker (piece of paper) under the stat card for one of these pieces. Once that piece is defeated the game is over. Idea is to find and defeat the Bounty before the opposing player finds yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One variant I've been thinking about that is similar to the random team build is actually an asymmetric squad size scoring system.

Not only will this be even more random, but to me it seems more "realistic"; i.e. a rebel crack jedi commando team won't always encounter a similar level of imperial elites, but often smaller stormtrooper patrol. (I'm assuming all of the rolls you present affect both players with the same conditions)?

In general only playtested scenarios have been "balanced" for this style of play, but I was hoping to put together something -- if it doesn't exist already -- that is generic enough that it can be used anytime.

I was going to open a discussion on the wizards forums after I thought this out a bit more.

But here is what I was thinking... it would have be a relative system. For example, if the smaller team is 50% less in points, naturally expecting them to take down the entire larger opfor squad is not feasible. Perhaps a victory for them is to just defeat an equivalent point cost of their squad size.

Or, maybe they need to take down the most expensive character of that the larger squad ...but this then becomes an assassination scenario by default.

I know DND minis (and warhammer) also have board control rules, which depend on either the teams being equal in size or preset "balanced" maps marking the areas, which again get us into scenario territory that can't always be applied to every battle.

Anyhow, just wanted to open it up for discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbergen wrote:
One variant I've been thinking about that is similar to the random team build is actually an asymmetric squad size scoring system.

It's certinaly something to try. As you suggest, victory conditions other than 'kill them all' would probably be needed.

I like the idea of defeating an equal number of points to your squad. Maybe take it in turns with players seeing who can win in the least number of rounds or with the smallest point cost. The higher point character would proabably be best with several mid-range characters that can't be beaten in a single attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hoang
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Without a FLGS to call our own, as well as living over an hour away from most of our friends that share similar interest in hobbies, my girlfriend and I pretty much only ever play against each other. So, we try to find ways to keep things fun and different.

Just thought I'd share some of the variants we've tried and hopefully get people to throw up some more of the things they've tried as well.

The most recent thing we've been doing is building each other's squads. This takes a very . . . "non-competitve" and theme oriented mindset. But, it's a lot of fun, especially when one ofthe players involved isn't as adept at gaming and strategy as the other.

Another variant we've done is to have the starting zones actually be spawning zones. Whenever a character is defeated, it gets put back into the starting zone, and is eligible for activating on the next round. A player wins by defeating minis totaling the squad point total. This came about when we first started playing, and I had General Obi Wan Kenobi as my power piece, and we hadn't yet acquired any other mini good enough (or group of minis synergistic enough) to stand up to him. With the spawning rule, she could instead repeatedly slaughter my grunts while trying to minimize the damage Obi did. It also creates some interesting tactical situations. High speed guys are more valuable, as they can get back into the fray quicker, and I've accidently gotten myself pincered while trying to outflank her. I went around behind her squad, and then all the guys I killed spawned behind them.

The most fun variant I think we've done so far is mulit-squad army build. We make three 100 point squads, and treat them as a unit in a 300 point army. Commander effects only apply to units within the squad, and you activate one squad a turn. We're still tweaking the rules, such as how squad reforming can be done when a squad gets decimated down to only having one mini in it. Though, it was fun and oddly appropriate when my Genoharadon Assassin was the only surviving member of a squad.

The last way to play that my work addled brain can think of right now is something inspired from my Magic: The Gathering experience. There's a draft format referred to Reject Rare drafting, where all the cards in the draft pool are rares that no one would ever normally use. After buying a case of minis, as well as getting about 48 random minis for $.35 each, we ended up with a bunch of random figures we wouldn't ever use. So, we stuck them into a box, and occassionally draft with it. We reach in and pull out four groups of seven (to simulate opening two boosters a person), and draft and build armies.

I think Ugavine's randomization is great, and we'll probably be incorporating that into our play in the not too distant future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to say I love the re-spawning idea. I will be suggesting a varient of that.

I like the draft idea too. While I do try to include the likes of Ponda Baba and Greedo in my squads from time to time I know for sure there are over a dozen minis my mate just doesn't play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.