Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the games I'd like to see/make computer versions of are auction-based. It seems like this would really bog down the playing speed though, when attempted on a turn-based website type of environment. Has it been done in a practical fashion anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Amun Re has been done on Spiel By Web. They also have Tikal, with the auction variant.

Auction games like Medici or Santiago (which is also on SBW) which have only a single bid per player per round would work fine. Amun Re works because all of the provinces are bid on at the same time. So generally, the number of people who have to rebid in a given turn is quite small.

More free form auctions, or ones where you have numerous re-bids per round would be less suited to the format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
...Spiel By Web. They also have Tikal, with the auction variant...

Yes. I played a couple of games of two-player Tikal on SBW with the auction variant, and it worked well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For another opinion, I play a lot on Spielbyweb, and my friends and I find the auction in Tikal to be more trouble than it's worth, so we just use the basic game when we play. I'm not sure why, but it seems like such a small part of the game that it's annoying. Whereas in Amun-Re and Santiago, the auction seems like a more integral part of the game, and we don't mind doing that slowly. Maybe I'm just bad at Tikal, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.