Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Printing Trivia cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb

Your all seen Trivial Pursuit!

How Do they print the Questions cards out, with 3-4 Categories on the One card?.
I've got all My Questions and answers in a Database, and I've tried Mail Merge in Microsoft Word to print them out. But that seems to only do One record per card.

Any Ideas ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What format is your DB? You could probably convert it to Excel, sort it properly, then copy-paste into Word. Use a 3x5" (or whatever size your cards are) page template, make every nth cell "xyz" and then do a find-replace to replace it with a page break; that way it cuts up the info into cards for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Database is Access.
The way that you have describe, seems to be a long way to Go about It. and If you got say 400-500 cards to print, its gone to take ages. There Must be a Simple way of doing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Tbh i have no idea, what "mail merge" is. However my suggestion would be, making a serial letter (I hope, that is, what it's called in English):

Create a form that is filled with the data from the database, use a blanko-card as background and hit "print" - voilà: short work - great effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know Excel has sorting tools, right? Once you set up the formulas (INDIRECT and some basic arithmetic), it's basically instantaneous. And the formulas can be copy-pasted; you only have to manually do the first n (where n equals the number of categories).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
schattentanz wrote:
Hi :)

Tbh i have no idea, what "mail merge" is. However my suggestion would be, making a serial letter (I hope, that is, what it's called in English):

Create a form that is filled with the data from the database, use a blanko-card as background and hit "print" - voilà: short work - great effect.


Mail Merge, is Using a Word processor or a Desktop Publisher to Incorporate data used in a Database so you can Print it out in the program, This is mainly used for Mailing envelopes or mailing lists when you have a List of names and address. But Basically it can be used for anything Information stored in a database.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Mail Merge let you use a query as a source instead of a table? And do you have any particular logic that you want to use to select which four questions go on each card? If so you could write a query that returns four questions in each result row.

If you don't have any particular logic that you want to use to select the four questions for each card, you could split your question table into four equally sized tables with an autonumber field, and join the four tables on the autonumber fields.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
mugs wrote:
Does Mail Merge let you use a query as a source instead of a table? And do you have any particular logic that you want to use to select which four questions go on each card? If so you could write a query that returns four questions in each result row.

If you don't have any particular logic that you want to use to select the four questions for each card, you could split your question table into four equally sized tables with an autonumber field, and join the four tables on the autonumber fields.


As far as I know, Mail Merge doesn't. You can't Use SQL query commands in it, You can only select a Table and them Filter the records You want to display, So far as I've seen. I could be wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
secoffnz wrote:
mugs wrote:
Does Mail Merge let you use a query as a source instead of a table? And do you have any particular logic that you want to use to select which four questions go on each card? If so you could write a query that returns four questions in each result row.

If you don't have any particular logic that you want to use to select the four questions for each card, you could split your question table into four equally sized tables with an autonumber field, and join the four tables on the autonumber fields.


As far as I know, Mail Merge doesn't. You can't Use SQL query commands in it, You can only select a Table and them Filter the records You want to display, So far as I've seen. I could be wrong.


Well, Access lets you save queries and then treat those queries as tables anywhere you would use a table (most RDBMSes would call this a 'view', but I think Access still just calls it a query). So maybe Mail Merge would let you use that in place of a table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
mugs wrote:
secoffnz wrote:
mugs wrote:
Does Mail Merge let you use a query as a source instead of a table? And do you have any particular logic that you want to use to select which four questions go on each card? If so you could write a query that returns four questions in each result row.

If you don't have any particular logic that you want to use to select the four questions for each card, you could split your question table into four equally sized tables with an autonumber field, and join the four tables on the autonumber fields.


As far as I know, Mail Merge doesn't. You can't Use SQL query commands in it, You can only select a Table and them Filter the records You want to display, So far as I've seen. I could be wrong.


Well, Access lets you save queries and then treat those queries as tables anywhere you would use a table (most RDBMSes would call this a 'view', but I think Access still just calls it a query). So maybe Mail Merge would let you use that in place of a table.


Yes You could be right with That, Access Does save queries. I'll have to experiment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at how NanDeck works, that uses a script to build cards, you may well be able to write a mailmerge to create a NanDeck script that would then produce the cards you want. ( NanDeck is free card producing software )
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.