Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb

While I like the idea of starship to starship miniature combat, I'm not a fan of the little miniatures. The average one inch long ships don't appeal to me.

Has anyone seen games involving larger models used for small scale mini games as a variant?

Can anyone suggest a game that uses larger models than the 1/3900 scale or whatever of Star Fleet Battles?

I'm sure I know some, but I'm drawing a blank right this moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Renegade Legion: Leviathan is the only one that springs to mind. Plenty of multi-hex capital ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No one in Iowa City plays wargames?
badge
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked into Battlefleet Gothic? Many of their ships are quite large, and the average is at least 3 inches long. Plus, it's a great game.

Good Gaming~! Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations comes to mind, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do multi-hex and large scale miniatures make any sense for space? Space is really big and really empty, so it seems strange that ships would ever get so near to each other as to be larger than 1 hex worth of model or counter. In fact, the biggest issue I've found with space-combat games, is that it doesn't make any sense to have your ships spaced out at all. They're all really tiny and could fit into a single hex easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Metal wrote:
How do multi-hex and large scale miniatures make any sense for space? Space is really big and really empty, so it seems strange that ships would ever get so near to each other as to be larger than 1 hex worth of model or counter. In fact, the biggest issue I've found with space-combat games, is that it doesn't make any sense to have your ships spaced out at all. They're all really tiny and could fit into a single hex easily.

It's mostly an aesthetic concern. The multi-hex ships in Renegade Legion: Leviathan are mainly used to have bigger counters for bigger ships and to manage the reduced maneuverability of the bigger ships (since you have to get the tail of the ship to its current nose hex before it can turn). The ships are actually meant to be somewhere in the tail hex of the counter.

Similarly, the ships in Battlefleet Gothic are supposed to be occupying the space at the exact center of the ship's base. The base itself represents a sort of ZOC for the ship, and the actual ship miniature is purely an aesthetic thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure of the exact sizes of the miniaures GZG makes, but Full Thrust is made to be used with any miniatures. It works quite well with larger 2-3" ships. Also, It is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There were this ongoing:

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
There were this ongoing:

That's groundbound, man. Try these:

I can't recommend the game they go with, but they'd work fine with Full Thrust and Battlefleet Gothic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
I'm not sure of the exact sizes of the miniaures GZG makes, but Full Thrust is made to be used with any miniatures. It works quite well with larger 2-3" ships. Also, It is a great game.

I'll second this recommendation. I've always had a soft spot for Full Thrust. I never owned the game or any minis as my buddies had them all but I also never had a bad time with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Metal wrote:
How do multi-hex and large scale miniatures make any sense for space? Space is really big and really empty, so it seems strange that ships would ever get so near to each other as to be larger than 1 hex worth of model or counter.

You've got to get beyond the whole hexgrid thing. All spaceship games have a different ship scale and "ground" scale.

I want to see leviathans on the living room carpet and rulers about. I have a vague memory of a photograph of a game of SFB played this way in a gymnasium.

While I like Full Thrust, the cost of those big minis is a bit dear. Yes, I can make or provide my own ships out of paper or balsa or something, but I was just wondering what games are about with this sort of scale in mind already.

Perhaps a cat and mouse game between two ships like the Kirk vs. Khan fight in the nebula in ST:II, or something wee like the Millenium Falcon fighting nose to nose with a Star Destroyer. Or, it doesn't have to be big capitol ships; I'd take a gunboat to gunboat battle.

Okay, I'll get up and look...

This isn't bad, but the game still relies on the grid and doesn't really capture the scale I want, since it's big gigantic capitol ships.

The dice in Diceland--Space a good size, but I'm not sure it's what I'm thinking of.

Peter Pig's AD2222 rules pits 1/300 scale starfighters against one another.
That will do, Pig, that will do.

But, seriously, anything else pop into mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BUZZZ KILL!!

Red Metal wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
Has anyone seen games involving larger models used for small scale mini games as a variant?
Oh, do you mean using model spaceships in a room instead of minis on a table? That's a cool idea. Although any system could be scaled up that way, Wormhole is probably what you were thinking of.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
sanguine wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
There were this ongoing:

That's groundbound, man. Try these:

I can't recommend the game they go with, but they'd work fine with Full Thrust and Battlefleet Gothic.
Man, I love these figs and the ones from Star Wars Pocketmodel...

Too bad both those games are SO TERRIBLE!!! cry
You would think that my innate fan-boyishness would have overrided my sense of good taste.

Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Wormhole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:

Too bad both those games are SO TERRIBLE!!! cry
You would think that my innate fan-boyishness would have overrided my sense of good taste.

Nah, the Star Wars Starship game is really bad. That said, it's a gimped, awful adaptation of the Battlefleet Gothic rules, so I've been tinkering with a straight-up adaptation of BFG to the task of big space battles with all those lovely Star Wars minis I picked up.

I was kind of shocked how bad the spaceship game was, since Star Wars Miniatures is playable, fun, and really captures the feel of Star Wars infantry combat.

The Pocketmodel game is sad. At least the Wizards game needed map...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamesarefun wrote:
would you buy a "lot" of Star wars ship minis for a buck a piece?

I personally have enough Star Wars minis. However, I believe there's still a thriving secondary market for them and similar minis. If you have the Wizards or Micromachines minis (or others I'm not aware of -- not really a toy expert here) for a buck each, I think that you're pricing them competitively with the current market and ought to be able to make some sales.

I don't run a hobby store, so do take what I've said with a giant grain of salt, but there seems to be a solid market for stuff like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, what I've decided to do to bite the big scale itch is to print off some Squirmydad paper models and dig out my Aeronef rules. I love his Martian hull-cutters.

Thanks for your ideas, participation, and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy has a ton of cool paper spaceship models:
http://www.freewebs.com/jaybats/dealerschoice.htm

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.