Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sound good. Does either have a cool mechanic or gameplay that sets it apart from other games or something that makes it a must have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer Yspahan. Metropolys is the first Ystari I've traded away. Personally, I like the dice in Yspahan and it feels less abstract (although they are both pretty dry). Metro. is almost a perfect information abstract (except for the hidden goals a player has). Yspahan is more tactical, adapting to the dice roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and like both of them a lot. I would go with Metropolys, just because I'm not a big fan of dice rolling. I also like the bidding/bluffing element in Metropolys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
DD

I like dice = I prefer Yspahan

Arthur doesn't like dice = prefers Metropolys.

So Randy, do you like dice??!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Champeny
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both. Metropolys is a good game, just a really busy board that didn't need to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both too. I prefer Metropolys because of the bluffing/hidden agenda thing. And I actually like the artwork for Metropolys better!

Both games can be played pretty fast, and are reasonably suitable for both newbies as experienced players. Both are typical "eurogames" though, both not as "samey" as a lot of games that have been put out the last couple of years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I truly like Metropolys a LOT better...

In fact, the other game mentioned is the only Ystari game I don't really care for, all that much.
By far my least favorite of the awesome lot they have produced, thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan isn't really a "dice" game in the traditional sense. Since all players choose from the same dice roll, it doesn't feel like "you're rolling well and I'm rolling crap".

I like the game a lot. I haven't played Metropolys though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer Yspahan to Metropolys, I don't really care for the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Metro is an abstract. That's why I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm quite enjoying Metropolys. I wasn't impressed with Yspahan at all.

Metropolys is effectively a trick-taking card game as an auction game with a board. Each auction (trick) is about brinksmanship (Will he commit heavily enough to outbid you, and if he does, will you?), timing (commit now or wait for something better?) and positional advantage (not only dead ends but managing other player's hands). In many ways this process is rather Ra-like. Just like the low Sun tokens in Ra drive the bidding, forcing other players to commit early for something probably not worth their higher value Suns or they let you have a great set of tiles and probably a good Sun tile for the next round for near free. Arghh, I must bid but I really don't want to! That's Metropolys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your top 10, I have a feeling you will enjoy the spatial aspect of Metropolys. It is similar to Louis XIV and Mykerinos in that there is a lot of really important tactical piece placement in the game. Metropolys has you make anticipatory moves based on your knowledge about the other players, their goals, and what they are capable of. It is somewhat similar to In the Shadow of the Emperor in this respect.

Personally, I like both games with a preference for Metropolys as Yspahan got old after 5-10 plays. There seemed to be only one strategy, whereas the hidden goals and more importantly the people you play with will make every Metropolys game different.

I do think Yspahan is better with 2 players (using the official variant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.