Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the few, NO it is not what you think it is about ... again.
I have major concerns about this cropping our GeekMods are so anal about. When i ask some one if i can post their pictures of games here on BGG it is under the condition that i do not alter, and present the picture as given to use. It took 4 tries to get a picture of this game submitted. Why did it take 4 tries? One picture is of the boxed version obviously cropped. The second is an unaltered picture given to use on BGG. What i believe happened was, our Mods thought the two items were identical. It is hard to tell that the cropped cardboard box version is different than the tin box version, because of the crop.

On with polling Little Mermaids

Poll
It is better to crop picture and have parts missing.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
True
33.3% 7
False
66.7% 14
Voters 21
The cardboard box does not have the pink pearls on top in a complete semi circle on the cover, the tin one does. This is not a big enough difference to have picture posted on BGG for this game
True
50.0% 10
False
50.0% 10
Voters 20
When some one allows you to use their picture as given, it is all right to alter, or badly crop picture, and present to BGG as the one they gave you.
True
19.0% 4
False
81.0% 17
Voters 21
A cardboard game box is the same as a metal tin game box.
True
9.1% 2
False
86.4% 19
Do not know
4.5% 1
Voters 22
GeekMods do not like games in metal tin boxes and think they have no place on BGG
True
5.9% 1
False
70.6% 12
I am a GeekMod and resent being made fun of in this poll
23.5% 4
Voters 17
This poll is now closed.   22 answers
Poll created by nastycleavage
Closes: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:00 am

In conclusion if i were a game maker advertising my game, and i hired you to distribute a picture of the game, you would be fired no pay, and possibly have law suits up the yin yang for desecrating the image of the game in this manner. This should get me a bunch more declined images when i submit them. You Mods got to pick better pictures of mine to decline than let me keep this poll thing up. You Mods are doing a great job over all, but lighten up on the crop with hi res pics. Thank you all for participating in this poll,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(from Finding Nemo)

Marlin: It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it.
Marlin: Look, you're really cute, but I can't understand what you're saying. Say the first thing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
While I am unsure, what you are suggesting, I can say, that there is more carpet than game on the second picture and that there is an ugly shadow at the lower border. I would have declined it - it is not that hard to remove the irrelevant background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a professor, I sympathize with how difficult it is to write a good true/false exam question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure what you're saying/asking in this post. But I will agree with Sven that the second picture is really bad. I would have declined it too. There's more carpet than game cover, and the shadow line at the bottom of the picture is pretty annoying too.

The top pic is far, far better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are good representative pictures and there are bad ones. Don't blame the moderators if you can't make it clear about why yours doesn’t suck.

I haven't done image mod’ing in quite a long time, but the picture on the carpet is questionable at best. It looks like a sub-standard image created using a flash and a bad idea about perspective and cropping. You say it's a metal box? It is not easy to tell from that picture, and the things that are wrong with the pictures outnumber the things that make it useful.

If a picture is rejected, find out why and reshoot or fix the picture. For example, here is a Tide of Iron picture I had to resubmit after combining four other pictures to make it work.

Edit to add:

Waait a second... Who was paid to put up this horrible picture?

Acutally, nevermind. I don't care who hired me to put up such a bad picture, if they were going to fire me for not getting sub standard images placed they probably wouldn't be worth working for anyway. (Not that BGG owes you employability with an outside entity.)

That being said, I've looked over the history of images you've submitted, and many of them seem to be plagued by bad lighting and poor cropping choices. Get a some better lighting and learn how to frame a shot.

Once again:
If a picture is rejected find out why and reshoot the picture - don't just resubmit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fine to bash me for the pictures i have found, but please stop asking me to take the picture again, that is impossible. I thought that is what is meant when one checks the "I didn't create this image, but have received permission from the rights holder to post it here." box. I did not take the majority of these pictures myself. The issue at hand is, if i crop a picture, have i altered it? If i have altered the picture i was given, then i do not have permission to post the picture here. If i crop the picture like the boxed one i have done the picture an injustice. If you wish to use and crop the picture posted, at least you will be able to see the complete box cover, unlike the other where a part of the box is missing. My objective has been to find pictures of games over 25 years old, but try to use all pictures by the people who allow me to use them.
I have succeeded again, by having you all wonder what i am trying to say, expect much of the same in the future. In a nutshell "People lighten up", life is too short to be pissed off a lot. I am just having some fun in a perplexed way, and hope to leave you with puzzlement or a smile. My intention here is not to bash GeekMods, though it may look like it, just poking out some fun, and fully expect payback. I too did not notice the pictures were so different at first. This is my long lost home, and do not want to crap in it, just letting of a fart eh.

edit: Hence forth, i will request to the picture takers, i be allowed to crop their pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
The issue at hand is, if i crop a picture, have i altered it? If i have altered the picture i was given, then i do not have permission to post the picture here.

On the issue of using other people's pictures:
You are being over sensitive.Just don't change the game related content. You don't have to use the entire image. You got permission to use the picture of the game, just use the part of the picture that relates to the game.

If you have some qualms about that then crop it, send it back to them, and ask them if you can post the modified image. If you can't get them to let you use a better framed/windowed image did you have consent in the first place?

nastycleavage wrote:
If i crop the picture like the boxed one i have done the picture an injustice.
Wrong. If you crop dead space you are doing the picture a favor. The same thing with using color correction tools and brightening/adjusting contrast in photoshop. Where did you get the idea it would be an injustice?

Submitting a bad picture is a bad idea. Don't do it unless it is the only picture available of the game in question and there is no way to get another picture. Submitting poor quality photos reduces the value of the site.

Granted, you may have a different opinion of quality than BGG moderators, but if they say there are quality issues fix them before you resubmit. Polish that turd until it glistens, don't just keep serving it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wrong. If you crop dead space you are doing the picture a favor. The same thing with using color correction tools and brightening/adjusting contrast in photoshop. Where did you get the idea it would be an injustice?
In cardboard box picture the right side has been clipped by cropping, and part of the picture is missing, to me that is an injustice of the picture if the original had shown the complete box cover. Apparently its just a little bit of the box so it does not matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are talking about injustice in reference to posting pictures on a boardgame site, you either don't know what the word means or need to take a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
In cardboard box picture the right side has been clipped by cropping, and part of the picture is missing, to me that is an injustice of the picture if the original had shown the complete box cover. Apparently its just a little bit of the box so it does not matter?

Unless I missed something nobody indicated you needed to crop it that much. If they did, please show me where.

Just crop enough to get rid of the dead space.

(I'm sorry about not knowing the pics weren't yours, but when I looked at your submitted pictures there are MANY that match the same profile as the one above - same odd tilt, same lighting issues. If they aren't yours then you must be getting a substantial number of your pictures from the same source.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.