Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to start a pbem of BattleLore. I prefer cyberboard over Vassal, that I never used. Finding gameboxes for Cyberboards is such a pain, and I haven't found the BattleLore gamebox.

So I installed Vassal and the BL module.

I start a new local play, chose the side, start the log, move and stop/save the log.
Then I send the log to the other player.
He loads a play by loanding the log file, changes side by retire button, continues the log, stop/saves the log and sends it to me.

Am I doing it right? It seems strange, especially the retire to change sides. It is not an automatic way of handling different sides?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't need the retire button.

1.You load the game file the other person sends you.

2.You watch your opponents turn one line at a time, by pressing the button that looks like a VCR play button. Keep pressing that button until your opponents turn ends.

3.Then you should be prompted to begin a logfile (you MUST do this to begin recording your turn)

4. When you have finished your turn, select END LOGFILE from the file menu at top left. This effectively finishes saving your turn.

5. Then you send your logfile to your opponent who repeats the process from step 1.

Easy. (Much easier than Cyberboard, I think).

If you get stuck again, drop me a geekmail.

Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS you CAN start recording your turn during playback of your opponents turn if you wish (say to make an interupt attack for instance).

To do this, you select BEGIN LOGFILE from the file menu at top left. At the end of your opponents turn you would then click on NO when it prompts you to begin your logfile because you have already done so. Don't forget to END LOGFILE at the end of your turn, otherwise it won't be saved.

Also, remember that only things that you do or type between beginning your logfile and ending your logfile will be recorded, so it's pointless doing or typing aything before or after those because your opponent won't see it.

Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RETIRE is a nice option because it is handy for playing solo without needing to mess about with swapping game files.

1. Play turn 1 as player 1
2. Click on Retire, and select SWAP SIDES.
3. Play turn 1 as player 2.
4. Click on Retire, and select SWAP SIDES.
5. Play turn 2 as player 1

repeat until end of game.

If you don't want to play a whole game in one session, click on SAVE GAME from the file menu at top left. When you want to come back to it, click on load game from the file menu or from options available when you start vassal.

You always need to load the game module before loading a saved game though, if you are starting Vassal afresh.

BTW the RETIRE option was primarily intended for hot-seat games, but I find it ideal for solo gaming.

Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, It's a very long time I'm on internet but I have never seen a wonderful and helpful community as BGG

philmcd wrote:
No, you don't need the retire button.

1.You load the game file the other person sends you.

2.You watch your opponents turn one line at a time, by pressing the button that looks like a VCR play button. Keep pressing that button until your opponents turn ends.

3.Then you should be prompted to begin a logfile (you MUST do this to begin recording your turn)

4. When you have finished your turn, select END LOGFILE from the file menu at top left. This effectively finishes saving your turn.

5. Then you send your logfile to your opponent who repeats the process from step 1.

Easy. (Much easier than Cyberboard, I think).

If you get stuck again, drop me a geekmail.

Phil.

I was trying to "simulate" a 2p game on my pc, so I did a turn as player one, then quit vassal. Then I open vassal and load the log (is the log the file you are sending right?). But in this way when I open the file two strange things happen:
- I am the player one yet and not the player two.
- The "playback" goes through two whole sets of actions in a continuous way, (after the first end it restarts) before prompting me to continue the log.

Perhaps the reason is that I make all this on my only pc, or what?

Thank you very much and sorry for my crippled english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, if you're playing solo, simulating a 2 player game, yo DO want to use the RETIRE button as I mention in my third post above.

You never need to swap files, you don't even need to create any logfiles, just do exactly what I listed and you'll be fine.

BTW I wish my Italian was as good as your English

Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only to say that I have started a pbem following the faqs and your instructions and is all ok.

Vassal does recognizes automatically the two different players by using the id and pwd of the players.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.