Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but it seems to me like a few sellers here on BGG have delusions of grandeur. Some of the prices they are asking are just insane. I've seen games that are selling for $50-60 on a regular basis, listed here for over $100.00 or more. I just don't see how they think their game(s) will sell for $100, When there are two more just like listed for $50.00 or $60.00?

Am I not seeing something here?

I've decided to do a little experiment. I'm going to write down 10 games that I think are exsessively priced and 10 (of the same) that are resonably priced, and compair the time it takes to sell them,...if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy H
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are relying on people buying and not knowing what they should pay for a product. Trying to make a big profit. But then again it could be someone selling them that dosnt know anything about he games there selling. Who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Battle
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One would think this might not be the place to try to sell a game assuming the buyer doesn't know what it is worth... I believe it has more to do with the amount of people willing to overspend to get the game they want now as opposed to a few months down the line hoping for a price reduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a seller, I don't think I'm crazy.
Well, I've got a few games up for sale. And I'll admit I'm hoping to get a good dollar, but not an outrageous dollar for them. My Wiz-war and expansion sold quite quickly, as did Shockwave (Ogre expansion). Not much else has moved so far.

My biggest question was what to set for a price for Outpost. It took me awhile, but I was able to find out the game is complete. (The list of components in the box is just wrong). Most of my prices are based on what I seem to see other copies of this going for. I was checking the average price, etc. One of the problems with price history is that there's no time listed (that I can find. Anyone got some hints on that?) High prices two years ago aren't necessarily the going price for a game anymore.

As a way to further the OP's comments, I would welcome any comments on my prices. If you think it's too high, too low, or right on, please let me know, and why. What makes a "fair" price? I'd love to know.

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't see how their games could ever move. I have sold some games that were priced a little higher than some others that were available. I think there were a few possible reasons: 1)I had a better trade rating than the cheaper sellers, 2)I was closer to the buyer, so shipping was cheaper, 3)I was selling a different edition, like Diamant/Incan Gold or Alea Chinatown/Z-man Chinatown, 4)I was selling the base game plus an expansion or two. But even in those cases it wasn't a huge difference in price.

It is possible to make an offer to a seller, but usually I post my games for pretty much what I want. Someone offered me $40 for an in-shrink copy of Snow Tails by Fragor games earlier this week. It made me laugh, and I wished I could put a comment in the offer refused notice. I guess it never hurts to try, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapel's Advice for the day: Then don't buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the big deal. If people are willing to pay that much then that is their problem. If people are not willing to pay that much, the game will sit on their shelf and they won't have anything to show for it, that is the sellers problem.

Some of the games I list a higher price I do so because I am not really sure that I want to sell the game, but if I got $X for it I would be willing to let it go. Pandemic being an example for me. I liked the game but I knew it was OOP at the time and just listed it for $65 for the hell of it. If somebody bought it great, if not oh well. Somebody bought it not an hour after I posted it, so you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never sold here so I'm not sure about how the fees work but if BGG only charges a fee once games sell then the seller couldn't care if it sits for a day or a year if he/she doesn't need money right away or if there is no period of expiration listing. They can hype it up anytime a thread comes up for the game and see if a fish will bite. If BGG is like Ebay and charges a fee for a specific time period then sellers would list more reasonably. I've looked at some games and their asking prices and it doesn't make any sense to buy because many just come out more than a online retailer would charge. New and used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can actually see a good reason for some of the high prices you see.

If the seller is a dealer, then they need to keep their prices keen in order to turn over stock.

But if the seller is just another games player/collector, who isn't desperately worried about selling that game now, then I can understand some speculative pricing. If they can shift that game they have (that only hits the table once a year) for a good sum of money, then great; if not, then it is still in their collection, and may get played again, sometime.

I've had some games like that, which I would be prepared to sell if offered the right amount, but would rather hang onto otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:
I can actually see a good reason for some of the high prices you see.

If the seller is a dealer, then they need to keep their prices keen in order to turn over stock.

But if the seller is just another games player/collector, who isn't desperately worried about selling that game now, then I can understand some speculative pricing. If they can shift that game they have (that only hits the table once a year) for a good sum of money, then great; if not, then it is still in their collection, and may get played again, sometime.

I've had some games like that, which I would be prepared to sell if offered the right amount, but would rather hang onto otherwise.

Yes, I agree. Most of the sellers here are not in business to sell games. They are "unmotivated sellers" and they do not really want to part with their games unless a very good offer is made. That is not bad but you do have to factor that in when buying.

I frequently make an offer below what they are asking and usually end up with 5-10% off or more if I am getting multiple games from the seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Gallo22 wrote:
I've seen games that are selling for $50-60 on a regular basis, listed here for over $100.00 or more. I just don't see how they think their game(s) will sell for $100...

Post your copy of the game for $95 and it will look like a bargain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Thank you for proving my point. They won't sell if the price is unreasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Well, I've got a few games up for sale. And I'll admit I'm hoping to get a good dollar, but not an outrageous dollar for them. My Wiz-war and expansion sold quite quickly, as did Shockwave (Ogre expansion). Not much else has moved so far.

My biggest question was what to set for a price for Outpost. It took me awhile, but I was able to find out the game is complete. (The list of components in the box is just wrong). Most of my prices are based on what I seem to see other copies of this going for. I was checking the average price, etc. One of the problems with price history is that there's no time listed (that I can find. Anyone got some hints on that?) High prices two years ago aren't necessarily the going price for a game anymore.

As a way to further the OP's comments, I would welcome any comments on my prices. If you think it's too high, too low, or right on, please let me know, and why. What makes a "fair" price? I'd love to know.

Gerry

The only people that will tell you your prices aren't too high are your competitors

Tom

Edit: sounded funny, and not in a good way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussion has made me believe that I need to put the games that I have that are collecting dust up for sale. Why not? Every game has a price for me. Sure I don't want to part with my Roads and Boats with & cetera but if someone offered me $1000 or $500 or $400 I would sell in a heartbeat. The question is how low would I go and sell it with out reservations. The only problem I see is that I will have to go on BGG everyday and check for sales so I can be responsive. Oh wait, I am on BGG almost everyday. Not a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Your advice doesn't seem too helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gallo22 wrote:
I don't know, but it seems to me like a few sellers here on BGG have delusions of grandeur. Some of the prices they are asking are just insane. I've seen games that are selling for $50-60 on a regular basis, listed here for over $100.00 or more. I just don't see how they think their game(s) will sell for $100, When there are two more just like listed for $50.00 or $60.00?

Am I not seeing something here?

What you're not seeing is that a majority of people have no business or sales "sense" and thus have no clue how to fairly and accurately price their games to sell. Thus justice will be served as their over-priced games languish in no-man's land, never to be sold.

They'll eventually learn the hard way and figure out how to price things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Some of the games I list a higher price I do so because I am not really sure that I want to sell the game, but if I got $X for it I would be willing to let it go.

I could see this and makes sense, but I don't think all sellers have this outlook. Some of them really believe they are going to get that over priced game sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gallo22 wrote:
TGov wrote:
Some of the games I list a higher price I do so because I am not really sure that I want to sell the game, but if I got $X for it I would be willing to let it go.

I could see this and makes sense, but I don't think all sellers have this outlook. Some of them really believe they are going to get that over priced game sold.

And, once in a while, they do get sold.

I've put "silly" prices on some of my games. I don't really want to get rid of them, but certainly will for the right price. When people buy from me and I say complete and describe the condition, they can trust it to be true. Some people think that's worth a small premium.

Why does it bother anyone if the prices are "too high?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell Sisyphus "Hello" from me, while you are continually passing him to and fro. Your literal boulder of an affront is interesting, but impractical.

PS... Do you have any games for sale? Because you're the perfect seller, from a buyer's perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

They'll eventually learn the hard way and figure out how to price things.

You just don't quite get it do you.

OK, I'll explain.

I have this game, we'll call it "Game X". I like game X well enough, and really don't want to sell it. BUT, I would sell it if the price was right. SO I post "Game X" for $100.

More than likely(99% of the time), it's not going to sell, and I'm OK with that fact, because I like the game and wouldn't sell it for less. I continue to keep a game I like in my collection that I enjoy. WIN!

BUT, then that 1%'er that just has to have it, is willing pay that $100 for this game, then I just made $100 for it. WIN!

So I don't understand what "hard" lesson you think you are trying to teach me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only find it weird when people sell games that are in-print for higher than MSRP. It happens on eBay too. It's just odd.

There are quite a few prices I have seen for out of print games that have caused me to say "Oh, hell no!" in my best Emerson Cod impression. The best way to illustrate those feelings is to take your dollar elsewhere and then brag about the awesome deal you got to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Hegarty
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done it occasionally to stop people offering me rubbish for some of my opp games. I am sure it has reduced some other potential trade offers but I am ok with that.

And frankly some people are will to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear what the original post is saying, but I would rephrase it to as:

"Some of you might want to rethink your high prices because it is unlikely you will sell anything and thus wasting your effort to post the item in the first place. If you do get your crazy prices, then please ignore this advice" meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are times too where some people put up a game for sale at a higher price because the game was OOP, but then they never bother to change the price if the game comes back into production. The marketplace works, but it isn't the most friendly interface ever devised...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you reading the descriptions of those high-priced games? Because it seems fairly common for people to list a game plus expansion(s) as a single marketplace item. For example, it might look like a person is trying to sell, say, Runebound for $75, which is crazy, but when you read the description the $75 is actually for the base game plus a crateload of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.