Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background
My son started playing hockey in the PeeWee (11-12) division this year.
Mittencon is this weekend in Lansing (a little over an hour away) from Friday evening to Sunday. As of last Monday, H had a game on Sunday afternoon and the family was planning to leave Mittencon early to go to. Early this week another game Friday night and a practice Satureday got scheduled.

So my choices are
Skip Friday's game and catch a ride with some other guys going. My wife will take H to the game and practice tomorrow and then join us in Lansing.

Go to the game and drive up afterwards arriving ~10 PM. Lisa will take H to practice and join us resulting in two Russell-mobiles in Lansing for the weekend and we'd all come back Sunday afternoon.

H has said he's cool with me missing the game and really seems to mean it. So what would you do?

Poll
Should I skip my kid's hockey game to go to convention?
Yes, don't feel guilty
Yes, but feel a little guilty
Flip a coin
No, but it's a tough call
No, you uncaring parent you!
      70 answers
Poll created by qzhdad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Secrest
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How often is the convention? Yearly?

How many hockey games in a season?

I know that sounds like an oversimplification (is that even a word?), and yes, I am a parent, too. I think going teaches lessons all around. H that sometimes Pop can't be there, Lisa that she might have to represent Mom and Pop at events, and Pop that it's okay to indulge himself on ocassion.

I think if you're truly involved in H's life as a rule, he'll understand, and it won't make you a bad parent. Now, if you were going to the Wells-Fargo con in Vegas...........that's a whole different story all together.......

Yes, I realize the WF CON has been cancelled, I was using it as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This convention is yearly (and I am an organizer). We go to 2-4 others per year usually.

He'll be playing in ~15 hockey games this season. The team had ~15 before he joined midseason. I think spring league will be ~12 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did your son want to go to Mittencon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Aw, just go to the con. Every kid needs to have their parents absent from important events, occasionally; it builds character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Pierce
United States
Tangent
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the "No, it's hockey" option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
npcomplete wrote:
Where's the "No, it's hockey" option?

in the uncaring parent option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Definitely, and he will get there ~12 on Saturday.

He would have preferred that the "new" game and practice be another time. I suspect that if we gave him the option, he'd skip the hockey to play games all weekend, but we're not. He signed up for hockey and his team is already understrength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're the organizer, it's your responsibility. He'll understand. He doesn't complain that you miss most of his life because you're at work, does he?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
quozl wrote:

Definitely, and he will get there ~12 on Saturday.

He would have preferred that the "new" game and practice be another time. I suspect that if we gave him the option, he'd skip the hockey to play games all weekend, but we're not. He signed up for hockey and his team is already understrength.

Unless you are really needed at Mittencon, I would show solidarity with your son and miss the con with him then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should tell him that you are hurt that he doesn't want to skip his game to come to your con.

That or create a standee of yourself and have your wife bring it along:

http://www.lifesizephotostandups.com/?gclid=CNH6uO6_15gCFQrA...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must really like mittens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
When it comes to overscheduling kids, Hockey is a prime offender. Some friends of mine are on the road nearly every weekend throughout Hockey season because of the sheer number of games and practices their son is involved in. They seem to like it. It would drive me crazy.

When my kids are in school, I plan to limit their involvement in extra-curricular activites to one -- maybe two, depending on the time commitment.

We said the same thing and have pretty much done so. The funny part is that this is a house league, I can't imagine a travel league. All of our league games (20) are played at the local (~20 minutes away) rink and they theorectically average two sessions a week (practice and/or games). However the coach got a great deal on extra ice time for practices a couple times and we're keeping up with his outside lessons (to help him catch up to his age group).....
They did go to one tournament before we joined and we went to one with them last weekend (2-1/2 hours away). Additionally, his team was top two at a certain point in the season, so they qualified for districts. This meant three games that we went to, but he couldn't play in.

I do have to admit that it's fun to watch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey kids need to learn about prior commitments etc. Also this appears to be a less important game. Sounds like you are involved in your kid's life as it is so one missed game is not that critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip the late-scheduled game, drive to the Con with your friends, stick with your previously committed plans (of which other organizers are counting on you for it), and have your wife meet you later in the day on Saturday.

Your son still gets his hockey, your wife gets to watch, and you fulfill your prior committment.

And I agree with Koldfoot - consider a different league if this is the type of thing where they can schedule games one or two days before they are set to take place. Schedules should be set and made in stone so that people can plan their lives around the one or two activities their children choose to participate in.

When I was in high school, it was a given that ALL summer swimming events take place on Saturdays and Sundays. Nationals went three days, so there was also swimming on Friday's, but that was once a year. During the school season, meets were whatever day they were scheduled for, but you knew THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE for the season before the season started.

Seriously...what kind of league allows the scheduling of sanctioned games two days before the event? And if it isn't sanctioned (i.e. a scrimmage), tell the coach to bugger off, take your ENTIRE FAMILY TO THE CON on Friday, and come back on Sunday. You have a prior committments of which you are a key player - others are counting on you, probably moreso than your son's teammates or coach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that I've been a little underwhelmed with the organization of this league. That being said, other than the addition of a practice, this has not been the coach's (or our manager's) doing. For some reason (and if I understand correctly, this is new this year) the rink only schedules the following month early to middle of the month before. So the February schedule wasn't up until mid January and March's came out this week. The three rinks at our location are booked with hockey and/or figure skating almost continuously from 7 AM to 10PM on weekends and 3-10 weekdays (and a good chunk of the rest of the day, but not for kids' stuff.) In addition to house and travel leagues, they also host at least three high school hockey teams.

The added practice I actually like the concept of because prior to its addition, we had four league games (following four tournament games) then three practices before the end of season house tournament, but I am not fond of the timing. A slot of ice opened up and our coach grabbed it. I believe the "new" game was dropped earlier because we had to reschedule it last month when our team had a district game conflict which actually turned out not to be a conflict, but an error on MAHA's [Michigan something Hockey Association] part caused the rescheduling.

So, while I agree this league is not optimally organized, we really like the rink and the coaches. From what I've heard from parents with kids at other rinks, this isn't overly unusual, but it can be frustrating.

When I was in school, the school year swimming schedule was set early, but I think the AAU summer stuff was kind of disorganized like this, too. And kids that play middle school sports at the school tend to have something five days a week either a practice or a game. However, the seasons aren't as long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Matt
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the opposite situation.

I knew I was going to MittenCon prior to the indoor schedule being posted. Case had a game on Saturday that I was going to miss, but it was understood.

I did feel a bit bad that I was going to miss it, as I only get to see the weekend ones anyway, but my schedule had already been set.

The opposite? The schedule was reorganized a few weeks in and there is not Saturday game.

-=-=-=-=-=-=

MittenCon?

We live in Michigan.

Hold out your right hand, palm facing you. We'll be playing this weekend in Okemos, located almost in the direct center of your palm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to skip the hockey. If it had been an earlier game, I might have decided otherwise, but I wouldn't have made it to Mittencon before 11 if I went to the game.

Thanks to all for your votes and comments. I was surprised to see only 60-ish% of respondents on BGG voted for boardgaming.

Here's my write up on Mittencon.
http://www.bgg.cc/geeklist/39756
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My son (9) does Little League, Soccer, and Basketball during the school year (and Archery and Triathlons in summer). So we are quite busy taking him to stuff, but he is an only child, so it isn't bad for us compared to those who have to shuffle more around to practices, etc.

My wife takes him to most practices since they are after school, and she is a teacher so can take him when school gets out. I usually can't take him to practices because I am working. I go to most games unless they are in the week while I am at work....and sometimes my wife will miss a Saturday because of a bookclub (or whatever she is doing at "bookclub").

So my son is used to having one of us at games, but since he does so much, he doesn't get get upset if one of us isn't there.

My son is probably the most imortant thing in my life, but I have missed a basketball game to go to my monthly game group, and I would do it again. Yes, I don't want to miss out on precious memories with him, but with all those activities, one or two missed aren't going to be horrible either.

I guess with so many games under his belt...missing a game that my wife takes him to is like missing out taking him to a park with my wife. Yeah it's a memory, but there will be more....playing sports is just a normal activity like taking swimming lessons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.