Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RTFM [+] [View All]
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I just want to check this -- according to the rules, it seems as if, if a character is unconscious, you may swipe an item from the character without opposition, or you may swap locations with that character, but you can't just attack (due to your hate) to kill the person. The only way to kill the person is to navigate the boat in such a way that they will get thirsty or go overboard. Correct?

I can see that outright murder would be frowned upon, but we had a game where the Captain was the only one conscious, and he had a knife. He argued that it was a wide ocean, there was no one for miles around, and if he wanted to stab the person he hated, what was there to stop him? We agreed that, at least if you're the only one conscious, you could polish off an unconscious player as an action, but I wanted to confirm that that wasn't actually allowed by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the NSA's algorithms are going to detect this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we should toss in President, Anthrax, and Nuke while we're at it then. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pakistan, 10 Downing Street, Heavy Sodium, CERN, Compound B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh geeze, we derailed his thread (assassination).

However, to the question at hand, if it's not in the rules it can't be done, so no, I don't see how you can murder someone.

Aren't you pretty much guaranteed to win anyway? You can do whatever you want, no one else can do a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceGee wrote:
The only way to kill the person is to navigate the boat in such a way that they will get thirsty or go overboard.

Our rules explicitly state that you can not fight someone without opposition, so I think this is the correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceGee wrote:
He argued that it was a wide ocean, there was no one for miles around, and if he wanted to stab the person he hated, what was there to stop him?

Innate morality. Who was there to stop him? The Captain was.
Just because I hate someone doesn't mean I'm going to murder them when I get the chance.

But I don't have to 'go out of my way' to save them either.

Because I hate them. *splash*

(The artwork seems to suggest an early 19th(?) century 'theme' to the game, and murder was actually frowned upon back then). Yeah, that's it.
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
You have to be able to fight them to cause damage or cause damage through the navagation cards.

Bruce, I own a copy of House on the Hill. I used to moderate over on the Avalon Hill site. Fun Stuff. Your game is going for crazy money on e-bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

The characters of Lifeboat aren't as cold blooded as the players responding on this board.

You want somebody to die but cold blooded murder isn't an option. Even the psychopath isn't a homicidal maniac. There is the matter of maintaining a modicum of decorum after all.

From a play balance standpoint, it would rob the end game of some of the drama. Do I row for shore (and hope the winds favor dumping him overboard) or do I take stuff off his body (and really hope the winds favor dumping him overboard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.