Popular Tags: [View All]
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the "Why Won't You DIE???" department, Brett Favre once again announced his retirement from football yesterday. The fact that this has gotten relatively little play indicates to me just how sick most of us were of last year's retirement/indecision/unretirement/preseason posturing/trade to the Jets soap opera. With Favre, ya never know, but it seems likely that this time he means it, particularly given his injury and how poorly he played down the stretch last year. Like many other great athletes, it seems as if he hung on a year too long and like almost every one who switched teams in the twilight of their career, the "new start" lasted for but a single season. This would seem to justify the Packers judgment in getting rid of him and certainly raises questions for the Jets. Anyway, if it's finally the end, one of the most talented (even if he was slightly overrated) and charismatic sports figures ever will be missing from our TV screens next year. Even though I was often sick of the attention given to this man late in his career while other players with superior numbers were slighted, I have to admit I'll miss him a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a hardcore Packer fan I miss seeing him in a GB jersey. I agree he was over hyped, but man, to have a guy like that play for your favorite team for so long was an amazing thing to behold. I don't begrudge his decision to go to the Jets, he certainly has nothing to prove. I just wish his last season would have turned out better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't want to seem negative here... but... why is it there always seems to be a fuss when someone like Favre wants to continue with their career? Fans get all emotional... as if it was about them and not the athlete.

It's his life, his skills and his career, right? The same scene happened when Joe Montana left SF and went... hmmm.... to KC? Fans and journalists were in an uproar... as if Montana was really their creation, owned by them and should be put out to pasture when they decided he was finished.

In NASCAR Mark Martin is a similar story. He's 50 or so years old and some emotional NASCAR fans have the same sense that they have a right to tell him he's finished.

Not being a rabid fan of any particular sport I just don't get it. I like most sports and am pleased that men and women can compete at the top level well into their 30's and 40's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly hope so. I love the guy to death but when it's your time, GO. I feel like he should have stayed retired last year and he should stay retired this year going forth. Rest, do other things, and then maybe coach. But he has a right to be happy... ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I don't want to seem negative here... but... why is it there always seems to be a fuss when someone like Favre wants to continue with their career? Fans get all emotional... as if it was about them and not the athlete.

It's his life, his skills and his career, right? The same scene happened when Joe Montana left SF and went... hmmm.... to KC? Fans and journalists were in an uproar... as if Montana was really their creation, owned by them and should be put out to pasture when they decided he was finished.

I think it has less to do with the athletes themselves and more to do with all of the money that follows these kinds of marquee athletes. Sports is a business and there are tons of examples of these "legends" staying on past their prime because its been shown time and again that legends put asses in the seats and that means $$$ for their teams, their agents, their endorsements, leagues, and even the media have an interest. People want news about the names they know. That gets eyeballs and eyeballs get ad revenues. And this very fact, which is not secret, also feeds back into the story, because it's simply insane to contemplate that the money spigot could just be turned off simply because of how that individual athlete "feels" about his situation.

One could argue that all the money that follows these athletes in the first place is insane, but that's the world we live in. :shrug:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
its been shown time and again that legends put asses in the seats and that means $$$ for their teams, their agents, their endorsements, leagues, and even the media have an interest. People want news about the names they know

Exactly. Which is why I am at a loss to understand the fan faction that declares he/she needs to go. Sorry Larry, not you.... I'm talking about them other guys.

I'm more than a little interested in a particular game, match or race when I am aware that an "old guy" is competing. So yes, the owners and media moguls get my eyeballs when they stick with a top player. I could care less if it's only for the money because all sports (at a pro level) is about the money anyway.

I enjoyed the Super Bowl because of Warner being there. I watched a few games I wouldn't have last year except that Favre was playing. I rarely watch NASCAR but when I do I look for Mark Martin. And in World Superbike and MotoGP I find myself rooting for the oldest racer.

Hmmm... maybe I am biased towards old guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

I certainly agree with this, DW. When I say that Favre probably stuck around a year too long, that's with regard to his legacy, whatever the hell that means. From his point of view, of course he was free to try to continue to play. Great athletes are super-competitive and one of the great challenges is to overcome aging, so the fact that many play when they're well past their prime isn't surprising. The Jets clearly wanted him, so it wasn't like he was trying to bamboozle anyone.

However, his indecision last year did hold the Packers up for ransom. It wasn't just a case of "How dare he play for another team!" but "He's really putting Green Bay in a tough spot by changing his mind about retiring." I think that was the source of a lot of the controversy and the weariness and wariness that seems to be greeting this latest retirement story.

If an athlete wants to keep playing and someone is willing to pay him, I would never begrudge him his final years in his sport. Let him play till they have to drag him off the field, if that's what he wants. A few years after he finally hangs them up, people will only remember the golden years anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.