Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a new member, and although I have been on the internet since it was a government entity called ARPANET, I have to admit that I found BGG to be less than intuitive.

Among the most confusing aspects is the concept of forums. On most web sites the forums are a separate function, and all forums are accessible from a single top-level view. BGG is structured very differently.

BoardGameGeek has a set of forums.
Each game has a set of forums.

As a new member it took me a while to realize that there were forums for the individual games. Intuition told me that if I wanted to see a game review that I would click on "Forums" (top tab), then a subforum "Games", and then a subforum "TheGameImInterestedIn"

Of course this is not the case. I have to admit that about a year ago I happened by here, and did not become a member because I could not find what I was looking for with a "reasonable" amount of effort.

Yes, my loss. But the loss to BGG are all the folks who have done the same (left before figuring it out).

I have two possible remedies for this problem:

1) Add a "Games" forum tree in the main BGG forums.
2) Create a "how to find what you are looking for" section in the newbie FAQ/help files.

Just to be sure I wasn't missing something, I just rechecked "Help" -> "Guide to BoardGameGeek" as well as all the FAQs I could find.

First of all, many links are dead. This might be an upgrade issue and only a matter of time. An example -- From
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Guide_To_BoardGameGee... select "Forums"

I don't know about you, but I don't think it is very newbie-friendly.

Now click on the link to "Forums Modules" -- nothing there!

I realize that maintaining a site the size of BGG is a massive task. If I didn't think that this was a terrific site I would not take the time and/or effort to make this suggestion. So please do not interpret this post as a complaint -- it is a suggestion, made only because how a newbie sees a website is very different than how an experienced user perceives it.

My personal "Thank you" to the team that makes all of this possible.
-- Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.