Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
richard phillips
United States
California
flag msg tools
1)Does every hex that your ships move through have to be activated, or just where you want them to finally end up?

2)In space combat, you can only retreat/withdraw to a hex that has already been activated, but since you can't move units from activated hexes, how would this ever occur?

One question not related to movement

1)You can only build any kind of units at a space dock or on your home system, correct?

Heck, I'll toss in these questions about the Shattered Empire strategy cards.

1) Diplomacy 2 puts you enemies' command counters on a system of your choice. Doesn't this mean that they can now move units into that system??

2) Production 2 has a caveat that you may not exceed the production capacity of the planet where you place new units? What does this mean exactly? Does it mean you can only build units whose cost is equal or less than the resources the planet provides?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Bryan
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sshroom wrote:
1)Does every hex that your ships move through have to be activated, or just where you want them to finally end up?

Only the target hex needs to be activated. It is fine to pass through an activated hex, incidentally, although you can not pick up any units on your way through.

sshroom wrote:
2)In space combat, you can only retreat/withdraw to a hex that has already been activated, but since you can't move units from activated hexes, how would this ever occur?

Moving ships from the CURRENTLY activated hex is permitted for retreat/withdrawal purposes.

sshroom wrote:
1)You can only build any kind of units at a space dock or on your home system, correct?

Correct, although for clarification you can only build units in your home system if the planet you are building on has a space dock. Your home system does not have any inherent ability to produce units (except via Gen Synthesis).

sshroom wrote:
1) Diplomacy 2 puts you enemies' command counters on a system of your choice. Doesn't this mean that they can now move units into that system?

No. They are not actually activating the system. They are merely putting a command counter there which means that in the future they can NOT activate the system.

sshroom wrote:
2) Production 2 has a caveat that you may not exceed the production capacity of the planet where you place new units? What does this mean exactly? Does it mean you can only build units whose cost is equal or less than the resources the planet provides?

Production capacity means the total number of ships that can be produced in a single production. This is the resource value of the planet + 2 (for the space dock), and potentially one more for the Enviro Compensator tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sshroom wrote:

Only the hex that you are directly moving into.

Quote:

The retreat rules override this. You cannot take pieces out of an activated system, but retreating allows your own ships to return to an activated system.

Quote:
One question not related to movement

Yessir.

Quote:
Heck, I'll toss in these questions about the Shattered Empire strategy cards.

1) Diplomacy 2 puts you enemies' command counters on a system of your choice. Doesn't this mean that they can now move units into that system??

No, because you cannot activate a system you already have a command counter on. It locks the system down. And they cannot retreat to it, because it is not a system they control.

Quote:

No, you could build War Suns there if you want. The production capacity is the amount of plastic pieces you can build there.

Quote:
Thanks

No Problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You only activate the final destination. Carriers may pick up (but not drop off) units along the way.

2) You will have had to activate the adjacent hex on a previous turn. The attacking ships will have to have come from a different, not activated hex. Yes the hex where the combat is happening is activated by the attacker (and possibly the defender), but a retreat is not considered "movement", so you can still retreat away out of the hex.

I do highly recommend you also use the Tactical Retreat (I think that is the name) from the Shattered Empires rulebook as another retreat option. The original retreat rules are overly restrictive, especially if attacked before your first turn in a round.

x1) No, it is not their turn, so they can not move. The command counter is not being placed as part of a Tactical Action, so there is no movement. And when it becomes their turn, the system is already activated, so they can not activate it again, so no moving into it.

x2) Production capacity of a planet is the NUMBER of units (not cost) a space dock can produce, which starts at the Resource value of the planet PLUS TWO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard phillips
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses. They have cleared up these issues for me.

I think Tactical Retreats is a good rule, though it seems to me a similar option should exist for the attacker as well. It does cost you a command token after all.

I will be buying the game + expansion tomorrow. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.