Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to find and snag a copy of this game at a flea market, but it lacked the rule book (and a few components,but the characters and board were intact, which I felt was most important.)

Either way, I was curious to know if anyone would be kind enough to tell me a little about the rules. For instance, I've seen mention of the "Starting Zone" and wonder what exactly that is. I just segmented the board into fourths and let each player place his characters anywhere in those squares.

And the item/pieces of...stuff like trees and safes and whatnot, how can those be intereacted with by the characters?

Also,any added rules that people probably wouldn't find out on their own would be helpful. And, if anyone feels so inclined,I've heard some great things about these origins of the characters and their bios, but, again, that's in the rule book. My friends and I were curious.

Alas, we don't need any adventures or anything,just basic rules. The way we play now is probably wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an Adventure Booklet that suggests some map setups and characters to fight with as well as objectives. It's not needed though. I bet most people just make a map and go fir it as you're doing. The Starting Zone is simply the set of spaces your characters start the game in. If you start with four guys in a corner, then you've defined your starting zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the starting zone is the two back rows for each player in most games. In an adventure set-up, though, the starting zone is wherever your characters started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In C&C...

"Surrounding" = any of the 8 spaces around you.
"Adjacent" = any of the 4 space othogonally adjacent (not diagonal)
"Open" = any space you can "see" with a queen's move (straight or diagonal). You can't see through other characters.

Players alternate taking turns, activating one character per turn. Rotate the character you activate to show that he is "spent". Once both players have "spent" all of their characters, move on to the next round. On a player's turn they move and then attack. Many charcters have special abilities that replace or augment their attacks. Some abilities are "end of round" abilities and others are "always-on" abilities. There are of course many other rules.

Snagging that at a flea market - amazing. Post that to the Thrift/bargain finds geeklist. You'll be the week's winner for sure. At least, if anyone knows about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! I was curious about the line of sight and difference between surrounding and adjacent and open. I'm glad I know now!

Yeah, I just give selection of props to the players and we build a map with moderate or light clutter, and then randomly divvy up the characters. It seems to work well enough, really.

I think the wonderful old man heralding the booth thought it was an old game based on the box art, even though this came out, what, three years ago? I will never complain about such a thing, though, as I'm extremely glad just to have it. Ah good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blossercubbles wrote:
I managed to find and snag a copy of this game at a flea market.

Just to drive everyone crazy, how much did your copy cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only copy I know of that was sold second-hand went for $90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - for attacking. If the attacker's attack is higher than the defender's defense, the attack is successful. Be sure to add in all the appropriate modifiers as well as the number that the person is standing on. If attack=defense, the attacker needs to roll a 5 or 6 to hit. If attack < defense, the attacker still hits on a roll of 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange. Knowing what a used copy of this game has gone for online, it's hard to believe that anybody would let it end up in an old-fashioned flea market, especially without the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandrake wrote:
Strange. Knowing what a used copy of this game has gone for online, it's hard to believe that anybody would let it end up in an old-fashioned flea market, especially without the rule book.

You'd be surprised at what you might find in flea markets. I bought an unpunched The Longest Day at a flea market, which is more valuable than this game. A lot of people in this world don't keep up with demand and pricing of games as much as we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I picked up a complete Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game in very good shape (though box abit worn) for $10 at a gaming flea market. I snagged it within minutes of it being put out and there were several other people eyeing it while I bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delattre alain
France
orleans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
same i put ùy hand on a judge dread (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1098) for 15 dollars sometime miracle arrive
and for me the miracle was when i finalyy get my own copy of capes and cowls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly enough, it was only 40 dollars. I'm certain they didn't know what it was, as they had a bunch of older, practically antique games, along with a few newer titles, though none of any particular interest. This was just a magical gem among rubble!

There are a lot of awesome, lucky finds around, I would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The spinal cord of JFK Wrapped in Marilyn Monroe's negligee. I give to you"
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing flea market discovery, Peach Devery.
I'm surprised they were selling it for $40!
Congratulations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls