Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bastien
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the "Festival International des Jeux" in Cannes, there has been a ceremony to announce the french Game of the Year 2009.

"Quite a surprise... except for the ones who played it !".
Probably because Dixit is not the usual euro-game, but offers something quite special strongly based on imagination.

There were 10 nominees:
- "Agricola" by Uwe Rosenberg
- "Beppo" by Klaus Zoch
- "Chateau Roquefort" by Jens-Peter Schliemann
- "Dixit" by Jean-Louis Roubira
- "Dominion" by Donald X. Vaccarino
- "Kaleidos" by Spartaco Albertarelli
- "Jamaica" by Malcolm Braff, Bruno Cathala and Sébastien Pauchon
- "Mow" by Bruno Cathala
- "Pandemic" by Tom Leacock
- "Tzaar" by Kris Burn

Dixit won the Game of the Year 2009.
Château Roquefort won the Children's Game of the Year 2009.
Agricola won the Jury Special Prize 2009.

Dixit is the first game of Libellub, the publishing company run by Régis Bonnessée (also designer of Himalaya).

Dixit has some quite beautiful artwork made by Marie Cardouat ->http://mariecardouat.free.fr/dixit/jeux.htm

More detail on Tric-Trac web site (french) -> http://www.trictrac.net/index.php3?id=jeux&rub=actualite&inf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's better than Agricola, Pandemic, Dominion and Jamaïca.
Must be an amazing game... how was it called again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastien
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's a good thing that the prize shows you an excellent game that you didn't know about, don't you think ? Maybe you should try it actually.

BTW, Agricola didn't win the Spiel des Jahres 2008 either, it's a brilliant game but probably too much of a gamer's game to win this kind of prize.

C'est la vie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will certainly try it, but the quality of the game is not my point.

How a game that I never heard of (and of course I am a game geek) can win against the rest of the games in the list?
You say Agricola is not a game that can win that kind of prize (just taking your example, I am not that a big fan of Agricola), which begs the question, why it is there in the first place? The jury must have known what kind of game it is beforehand, isn't it? It is not as if Agricola was just out of the door, it is an Essen 2007 game.

What is the purpose of the "As d'or" I wonder. Not recommanding a gamer's game for sure, but I do not see many "grand public" games, so the only purpose is to take an unknown game and generating some buzz around it; it is not, per se, a bad thing; what is "unfair" is to make a comparison with Tzaar or Pandemic; they are actually making a statement that "Dixit" is superior, doing the game a disservice and certainly not piling on "L'As d'or" credibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastien
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
How a game that I never heard of (and of course I am a game geek) can win against the rest of the games in the list?

Fair point.
The game was published quite recently (Nov08) and initially only with french rules. Plus distribution was mainly in France.
That could explain why other countries didn't have a good visibility on it (and that's why I'm trying to publish some info on BGG).
If you go on Tric-Trac (french equivalent of BGG), you'll see that the french gamers are aware of the game -> http://www.orleans.tv/index.php3?id=jeux&rub=trictracdor&inf...

HavocIsHere wrote:

You say Agricola is not a game that can win that kind of prize (just taking your example, I am not that a big fan of Agricola), which begs the question, why it is there in the first place? The jury must have known what kind of game it is beforehand, isn't it? It is not as if Agricola was just out of the door, it is an Essen 2007 game.

Don't forget Agricola still won a jury special prize, so, in a way, it was worth being part of the selection.
Also, Agricola was part of the Spiel's selection.

HavocIsHere wrote:

What is the purpose of the "As d'or" I wonder. Not recommanding a gamer's game for sure, but I do not see many "grand public" games, so the only purpose is to take an unknown game and generating some buzz around it;

The purpose of the "As d'or" like most of the other national game prizes, is to create some buzz around a game so that the "grand public" wants to buy euro-games, and not just Monopoly over and over again. Isn't it what we all want ?

HavocIsHere wrote:

it is not, per se, a bad thing; what is "unfair" is to make a comparison with Tzaar or Pandemic; they are actually making a statement that "Dixit" is superior, doing the game a disservice and certainly not piling on "L'As d'or" credibility.

Wait, Keltis won the Spiel, this is what I call "losing credibility" !!! Twice in a row, the Spiel has been rewarding designers rather than games, and I don't think this is very good for the "Grand Public"...
It's impossible to say that "Dixit" is a better game than "Pandemic", they're just so different anyway. And it's just a matter of personal tastes. But in a way, I understand their decision as I think Dixit is a bit more "grand public" than Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Gagnon
Canada
Unspecified
Québec
flag msg tools
How the prize is chosen. We name 10 games we think were the best 'harvest' of the year and then each of the jury votes. There is a simple system of points depending on the order the games are placed on each jury'list. The game that accumulates the most point wins, sometimes this system works sometimes we spend hours deliberating. Each of the games in the selection merits to be a winner. But the pleasure of playing is also subjective. Some of the jury works in ludothèque (game library?) others for the famous or infamous Tric Trac website, other in game magazines or game stores, anyway quite a mix. So in the end the choice might not always be obvious to gamers. Bizarrely this year the As d'Or - Golden Ace - was not criticized but rather applauded, which is quite a feat in France!

By the way the jury is not paid and have no particular interest in voting for one game more than other one, except to impose their own taste!

Dany Gagnon
Member of the Jury de l'As d'Or since 2003.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I've played most of the nominees, and I thought Dixit was a lot of fun and a credible winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is a surprisingly innovative and beautiful game that is simply different from the upteenth versions of economic etc. games. One might argue if it's *better* than them or not, but it is a really good game that is unique so I can understand why this one won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Malaysia
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the pleasure of playing this wonderful game a week ago at my local game store in Seattle. A friend had bought it online to bring in. It reminded me a bit of Apples to Apples but with fantastic artwork. I have heard that the game has been picked up by a US publisher and am looking forward to purchasing it. Heck, if my board game budget were not so tight right now, I'd go online to get a copy.

Sometimes a game comes along that is just way out there - not your usual strategy / resource / economic game. Dixit is that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.