Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As some of you saw and many of you discussed, I've been pretty burned out on BGWS. After hearing directly from several hundred of you, I've thought a lot about it, and have come to some decisions about the future of the show.

You can see my Scott's Stuff with my thoughts at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f80rAwUxdy8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Ham Lake
MN
flag msg tools
mb
I like using your videos to help teach games. You do a great job of explaining them. After trying some other video blogs, my wife now will only watch "Scott's Videos".

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can appreciate being burned out; I produce short films and let me tell you, it's taxing. But, I have to ask: what are the decisions? You have a pretty long blank area...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't watch this right now, but know that whatever you decide to do in the future, your hard work HAS been appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sticking with it Scott - I look forward to what the future holds for BGWS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawaiiirish wrote:
I can appreciate being burned out; I produce short films and let me tell you, it's taxing. But, I have to ask: what are the decisions? You have a pretty long blank area...

Ah, I bet you aren't seeing the embedded video.

It's at

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see you are sticking with it in some form. I enjoy your reviews. Keep up the excellent work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice explanation. I appreciate all the work you've done with the videos, very helpful in finding out about new games.

As it happens, I am a web video producer by trade after 10 years in network TV. I have a lot of experience doing videography and have started my own business doing videos for the internet for businesses.

There are several fun things you could get at B&H Photo that would be a lot of fun for you I think.

VIDEO EDITING

I don't know what editing program you use, but you can buy a very powerful, professional video editing program called Sony Vegas Pro 8 at B&H; they have the full version for $129.00. It's just the disc, and it doesn't come with the DVD Architect software the full $550 version comes with, but I use it and it'll do just about anything. Unlimited video and audio tracks, super simple fades and crossfades, a bazillion video and audio effects, built in color corrector and chroma key/masking features and the list goes on. It's got a clean, simple interface and I only use a couple of short cut keys on the keyboard. I recommend it highly since it will render just about any conceivable file in just about any resolution, including .avi, .mp3, .mp4, .wav, .mov, etc.

You might have fun learning to do green screen special effects with the next great item:

DIGITAL JUICE

These are professional, better-than-network quality digital animations that you can use as backgrounds for full screen graphics, intros, or as green screen backdrops. You could learn to do green screen with Sony Vegas and just buy a green sheet and light it with industrial lights and away you go! Do Boardgames with Scott from Paris, Berlin, Moscow, even Carcasonne or Caylus (all you need is a photo or video of the place and put yourself in front of it).

I use these with some inexpensive production music and Sony's Pro Type Titler to make videos for a living. My clients are very pleased with the results. Super easy to use. No importing, just drag the file from the Explorer window straight to the timeline.

Next up: Audio

LAVALIERE MICROPHONE

If you're shooting with a hand held camcorder, you can get a wired lavaliere microphone like the news anchors use and get a really professional sound for not too much money. You can buy an XLR box for your camera, an XLR cable and a wired lavaliere microphone all for probably $200. You mount the box between the camera and the tripod, plug the XLR cable into the box and the wire from the box into your audio jack on your camera. Then clip on the lavaliere, hide the wire inside your shirt and presto! instant pro audio.

And if you want to jazz up your background without spending a fortune, B&H has some great portable backdrops in either generic portrait or actual photographic styles, search for "Botero" on their website. They have a wire and they fold up like those car shades into a round loop and they come with a cover to store it in. Quite a few styles to choose from; I use a portrait backdrop to make subjects look good.

With a different backdrop and a lav microphone, your videos would instantly look and sound even better than already. You've got great, natural on-screen presentation, and are very enjoyable to watch. Good luck and keep up the good work! Also, I recommend you try adding a Paypal donation button to your website in addition to the $.99 iTunes idea. Some folks might want to contribute a lump sum, rather than paying per episode.

--John Green
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew!
I'm relieved.
I'm also glad that you've come up with a format that interests you and will challenge you. That is key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it Scott! I would gladly pay $.99 for a good rules explanation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your boardgame reviews a lot. I think they're really informative and I'm not embarrassed for the person I'm watching making a fool of themself; you're clear spoken and funny, totally watchable. I can show the video to a friend and they'll probably think it's really professional. So yeah, you have a very nice presentation. You don't make me feel bad for you or anything ahahaha I think you're neat.

My only gripe is that I took your advice for Prophecy which is a game I did not like at all shake I prefer Talisman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Douglass
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd gladly pay $0.99 for one of your long reviews. Sometimes, its the only way I feel confident that I actually know and understand a game (like Reef Encounter) if I can follow along one of your reviews.

I really appreciate all your hard work and glad to hear you are sticking with it and shaking things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matera
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott for all your hard work. I have used your videos to teach many of my students in my game club at school how to play games that we have. They have really helped out a lot.

Thanks again and if I could ever help you out I would be happy to do that.

Take care,

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott for putting up with us a little longer. Glad to hear you won't just stop with the videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott,

Like others I'm quite happy to pay $0.99 for a game explanation.
Getting to grips with some games without someone present to explain can be a nightmare for me.
I still think Agricola & Reef Encounter would be sitting on my shelf were it not for your careful explanation....

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep up the good work Scott...Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great video Scott!!! I have appreciated your work for a long time....I will PM you when I am actually awake!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Kelton
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Yay! I'm happy to hear that BGWS won't be going away! I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you come up with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your reviews Scott. I have used them to explain rules to groups of people, and have used your recommendations to determine which games to buy.

I can understand the burn-out factor.

Perhaps is you reduce the number of reviews you do, they won't become so tiresome?

We need you Scott!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Hawaiiirish wrote:

Ah, I bet you aren't seeing the embedded video.

It's at

Thanks! Hey, I really appreciate your work on these. It takes a certain dedication.

Aloha,
'Irish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm rather a late-comer to the issue Scott, having seen one of your videos for the first time a month or so ago. (The long review of Indonesia, which I found extremely valuable in preparing to learn the game - it was comprehensive and well done. Thank you...)

I understand the feeling of when something that initially starts off as a fun project to learn and play about with begins to become a chore, so appreciate the need/desire to change things/take a break/etc.

A request though... I'd be very happy to pay a fee (others are suggesting about $1) for a video review along the lines of the Indonesia one for a game that I'm interested in. But please, find an alternative to iTunes, or an additional purchase/download method. Not everyone uses or wants to use iTunes. And, more importantly, iTunes isn't available on every platform...

Thanks for the videos and the huge amount of time and effort you've invested in making them, and hope you enjoy the new experiments...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:
But please, find an alternative to iTunes, or an additional purchase/download method. Not everyone uses or wants to use iTunes. And, more importantly, iTunes isn't available on every platform...

100% agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
Prodromoi wrote:
But please, find an alternative to iTunes, or an additional purchase/download method. Not everyone uses or wants to use iTunes. And, more importantly, iTunes isn't available on every platform...

100% agree!

Well, I'll nip this in the bud - it looks like iTunes isn't set up for putting a micropayment on video.

Here's what folks need to recognize:

If I'm to price it very low like this (which I think is the only way to do it realistically), then it can't have much overhead. For example, if I have to take a paypal payment and authorize a file and blahblahblah, then it's got to cost more than $1 for the trouble. So, do I set it up for $1 on one service and $5 on another service? Perhaps..

And then.. "But I can't use PayPal.." "But that's not fair to charge different amounts.."

If I farm it out to company that does this, then I'll pay a small fee for them to take care of the overhead.

I now see that YouTube has just announced that they are doing this, so I might go through them.

No matter what service I use, some people will not be able to use it. That's the reality of these things. So, I pick a service that has a strong market share and go with it. iTunes has the strongest market share in this market, so I would be silly to not go with them.

If it's too difficult, then I'll just punt the whole idea, as the amount of money to be made from it isn't worth a whole lot of trouble. I learned that lesson when I spent far too many hours making a professional DVD only to sell fewer than 20 copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Roll those dice you lazy bastard!
badge
Ha gotcha!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
My only gripe is that I took your advice for Prophecy which is a game I did not like at all :shake: I prefer Talisman ;)

I have all expansions for Talisman 2nd edition, and do enjoy that and the new and better looking 4th edition. However, after watching Scott's review of "Prophecy" i decided to get my own copy of it.

And my opinion now, after a couple of plays with "Prophecy", is that it is a superior game to "Talisman" in every way. I still like "Talisman", but will prefer a game of "Prophecy any day!

So, I have to say "Thank you" to Scott for his review of adventure games. Had it not been for that video, I would probably still not have heard about "Prophecy" at all. I can hardly wait for the expansions to be released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boon Kai Keefe Pang
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The joke was terrible Scott! I was eating my dinner while watching the video and I choked on my fillet. gulp But it was a good trick, you actions were really natural. Had my fooled.

But its great news to hear that you are still continuing the BGWS. I would gladly pay 0.99 for your long reviews. Keep dishing out the videos at your own pace. We will gladly wait for your video releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.