Popular Tags: teaching_with_games [+] education [+] [View All]
Mark VanKempen
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all

I am looking for a game to play every friday in a remedial math class in high school. I need it to be a couple of things:

1) Not a brain buster. These kids don't want to think too much, and if a game gets too complicated, it will lose them. Keep it simple.

2) Math related. It is a math class, and I need to be able to explain to the department head that playing the game is teaching kids about math.

3) A decent amount of people can play. This isn't a hard requirement, because I should be able to pick up many different games or several copies. But if it can play more than 5, then its a winner.

4) Quick. Again, we only have 45 minutes in the class, and less since it takes a while to get things started.

Thanks to one and all for reading and/or suggesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid: Benelux/Central Europe
Benelux plays in less time than the original.

What Grade level are the kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeus on the Loose
Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps Mathable is what you're looking for. It's like Scrabble but using numbers and simple arithmetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of Reiner Knizia's games have a lot of mathematical basis (he has a Ph.D. in Math). Here are ones that I'd consider:

Kingdoms/Beowulf: The Movie Board Game (Players gain points equal to the sum of the tiles in rows and columns. Beowulf is an enhancement of Kingdoms with additional board layouts; the basic game is the same.)

The Rose King Not by Knizia, but a little mathy. Players claim spaces on the board by playing cards. Their score is equal to the sum of the square of the number of contiguous tiles in each region. Only plays two players.

Lost Cities Players who start an expedition start with -20 points. Players add the values of each card to the total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus is geometry, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 3M's Bazaar? It's essentially algebra; it plays in a short time; requires logical thinking (and has a small luck factor); and is a Sackson game – it's a classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Angelovich
Taiwan
flag msg tools

I have played Kingdoms (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119) and Bump (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1971) with some success in class.

Kingdoms, does not look overly like a math game, but it is at heart, since you have to calculate all the rows and columns. However, it is a 4 person game, which you can easily make into 8 for pairs or worse, 12 for trios as a "kingdom" to get those interesting agreement discussions in play. Or you can just convince yourself or your school to get 2-3 copies!

Bump is a quick and light game that perhaps is TOO light for some of my students (aged 10-14). However, I tweak almost all of these games to fit my particular class size, time and situation, so with some game tweaking, you can also make this a good filler game.

Come to think of it, you also might want to try Fantasy Business (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2972) and Modern Art (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/118), but those are getting a bit deeper into price manipulations and bargaining.

Anyway, give em a shot - regardless, most students will be very happy to do something different than regular math problems from a book in class and will welcome anything like this.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sarsoza
United States
Loma Linda
California
flag msg tools
It is actually 102, but I do not count my trick-taking games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take it Easy! It can be played with as many people as you have boards and tiles, teaches multiplication & addition. Another nice one is Diamant plays up to 8, teaches division with remainders. Also both games can be played in twenty or so minutes (Diamant if you limit the # of rounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Grundner
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you didn´t say what level of math I am assuming a very basic level:

Hare & Tortoise
offers loads of addition and subtraction as well as planning ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant/Unnamed Object. Basic probability, some good game theory concepts, division with remainders, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krypto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Skirrid. I wrote a review of it http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/371648
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildlife Safari
Friday the 13th
Lost Cities
No Thanks!
Carcassonne

Are all good suggestions.

I would also suggest checking out and posting at the Games for Educators website.

I write a monthly article for their newsletter, Tom Vasel and I also run a podcast there called Teaching Strategies, which you can subscribe to here. If you give it a listen and enjoy it - feel free to send in an email with any questions, opinions, stories or ideas to teachingstrategiespodcast@gmail.com

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino. Apart from the simple addition of the score, the game can also be used to teach probabilities. The game is a push your luck type of game, and you have to ask yourself all the time what dice to keep to have the best possibility of getting a good score. You could even go through some scenarios for the whole class to help them understand the strategy. The tiles and dice are extremely sturdy in a bakelite-looking plastic and the game accomodates up to 8 players. Prepare for a bit of downtime with that many players though.

I really enjoy this game and recommend it to everyone looking for a short but fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker or Yahtzee should teach a lot about probability and are always available, though students will probably find them boring in the classroom. Poker should be played by people who are allowed to drink ;-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

"Remedial Math Class" at the High School level covers a lot of ground. Can you give us an idea of what core concepts you're trying to integrate? Are we talking arithmetic? Coordinates? Set Theory? I'm guessing you likely don't want to limit the conversation but the results you are getting are a pretty broad shotgun blast of titles, and likely most will not be worth your time to pursue.

A bit more information will likely go a long way to helping us zoom in on your goals.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Pig, not a board game but a dice based 'push your luck' game (I assume pass the pigs is based off of this math class game). All you need are 2 d6, and some fancy multiplier dice to get the kids pumped up after a round or two. I break out a d12 and then finally a d30, the kids love it. I teach middle school, but I learned this game from my high school math teacher.

This page has a basic explanation:
http://childparenting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/...

Also check out Racetrack. You could do a large group version using an overhead with a grid on it, or have your students do it in groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop - addition facts plus probability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
This math teacher says + 1 for:

Kingdoms
Take it Easy
Bazaar/Alchemist
Modern Art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here's ONE to *ponder* and that is: WHAT is the "airhead viscosity" of a "nut-croc" wallows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark VanKempen
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
"Remedial Math Class" at the High School level covers a lot of ground. Can you give us an idea of what core concepts you're trying to integrate? Are we talking arithmetic? Coordinates? Set Theory? I'm guessing you likely don't want to limit the conversation but the results you are getting are a pretty broad shotgun blast of titles, and likely most will not be worth your time to pursue.

A bit more information will likely go a long way to helping us zoom in on your goals.

Sag.

The issue is, this math class doesn't really have a set curriculum. I have students who are in Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra II. So, I'm not really looking to reinforce particular concepts of math. I would just like some games that would be fun for students and would reinforce general math concepts and would clearly be math based so the administration (which is pretty strict) would see immediately the value in the game.

Also, thanks for all your responses! I appreciate people's thought and effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.