Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok we played tonight Dwarves vs razorbacks

It was our first game, and the dice hated me

That said, general impression is that this is a tad more 'rugby-like' than Bloodbowl which is more 'footballish' A big part is the initial player set up I suspect, and the player-for-player movement

That said it did seem the game bogged down a bit with player bashing player, often going down, getting up and banging back.

Does the game get more of a 'flow' too it with experience?

In this game the razorback player never even moved two of his players the whole game, and won, as dwarves went to the injury bench in droves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmn. Razorbacks injured dwarves? Were you using Impact challenges? Dwarves all have a Might of 4 and only the Swinetaur should be able to tackle them without an Impact Challenge.

But as far as bashing...let me guess you two were former Blood Bowl players? It been our experience that people who come to the game fresh have an easier time than Blood Bowl guys. BB guys tend to go with the BB mentality that Tackles are king and getting the ball at all costs is vital. So it becomes a game of attrition.

Which is why I asked about Impact challenges because in a game of attrition Dwarves should have had no problem.
Also, were you using the get up rules correctly? Players on the ground with an opponent next them have to pay an extra point of jog to stand up.

Stopping the attrition game is usually pretty easy. If I know an opponent is going to try that I simply let him have the ball from the face off and back up. The can only move one player each turn so if you just let him come to you and stay in groups it becomes very difficult...nearly impossible for them to bash you. In fact I had a Samhaino coach forfeit on my Black Widows because he couldn't field anymore players. The next game he started to learn how to use pushes, positioning and strategy. Rather than a mindless scramble for the ball and building a cage.

I play as if I have the ball even when I don't. I get into position to score and wait for the ball to come loose and capitalize. It's also a good idea to keep your players in groups. Pairs or two groups of 3 if you can't Don't spread out until you need to.

Another piece of advice is to look what you want to accomplish with a tackle, if you only need to move the player back, or get him out the way then try a shove, it's less risky. Going down in Elfball is more serious than in Blood Bowl. It's expensive to stand players up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.