Space Crusade» Forums » General

Subject: Which modern game resembles Space Crusade the most? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember playing this game around 15 years ago and having a blast. I don't know how my friend got a hold of it, but I do know I had a great fun with it and was heartily disappointed when some time after that my friends got infected with the AD&D bug and refused to play "Crusade" anymore.

So, even though I'm mostly a Euro fan, I'd like to have a good quality AT game just for variety's sake and if it's possible I'd love if it resembled that oldie I played yonks ago. I'd love to get the actual Space Crusade, but I think it's nearly impossible these days. So I guess a new game in that vein could suffice...But since I'm really not that homely in AT genre I don't know which one would be the best bet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Simplicity and fun should have the biggest priority, not balance or complex movement mechanisms, intricate weapons systems or whatnot. Something to break out, turn most of your brain off and have some good old-fashioned alien-blasting fun. Is there such a game nowadays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cap
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, modern games' priority is to be "realistic", so you have a rule for every situation (morale, attack, movement ...).
Space Crusade has simply rules and this represents a good and a negative point of view: you can quickly learn its rules, but sometimes you get stuck, because they are very simple!
Personally, I don't know other games like Space Crusade's "modus operandi".
But, in these days, I can play this game online with my friends. Tell me if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to your question is very simple:

Doom: The Boardgame

From what you say it is exactly what you ask for. I would advise you to buy the expansion too since it adds a lot to the game and also makes it more balanced.

I can't even begin to describe the fun moments I've had with this game. Also the combat system it has is very simple and very effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that some of the aspects of Space Crusade are crappy by todays standards, but as I said, I have Euros for my "serious" gaming, and if I pull out AT, I expect nothing more then having pure, distilled fun. If I have to check out some spreadsheets, dig into a fat rulebook or analyze the optimal way of spending my action points by executing an intricate movement option combined with burst attack which adheres to penalty rules because of bad lightning and 30% chance of weapon overheating.. then I got the wrong game.

I was checking out Doom before and it's definitely on my watchlist. But first, I'm always weary of movie/videogame tie-ins.However this is not such a big issue like the fact it seems MUCH more involved then I remember Space Crusade was. I know a true AT fan loves different options and rich gameplay experience, but as I said, right now I am putting simplicity, playability and shorter gameplay time as much more valuable then the richness of gameplay itself.

Anyways, thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that Doom is pretty much on the same level of complexity as Space Crusade, maybe just a little bit more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both Doom and Space Crusade in the past few months.

Doom is WAY WAY more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
If price isn't an option you can still find Space Crusade on eBay for around US$100. The expansions go for about that as well, but add some extra things in.

I will throw another nod in for Doom. That is probably the most equivalent game that has come out in recent years. Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel is another game that came out at about the same time as Space Crusade that plays somewhat similar, and can be found usually for a little bit cheaper.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I own too many games in this genre, including Doom, Space Crusade (SC) and Mutant Chronicles (MC), so I have a fairly good perspective.

The biggest difference you'll find between SC and other games in this genre is that it's squad-based. There isn't another game currently being produced that is equivalent. Having said that, I'll throw in my recommendations, in no particular order:

Doom - Don't let the video game tie-in throw you. It's a great game. It's a couple levels of complexity above SC, but not the complexity of Space Hulk. To keep with the video game analogy, If SC is a Super Nintendo, Doom is a PS2, whereas Space Hulk would be a PS3. The atmosphere of Doom is different, too. You are constantly scrapping for your life, trying as quickly as possible to reach the scenario's end before being obliterated. SC, in comparison, is more leisurely in atmosphere.

Mutant Chronicles - MC is the same level of complexity of SC and features two-man squads. It sells for around $40-$60 USD on eBay and is fairly common to find. That's about what a good new game costs, so it isn't too expensive in that perspective. MC's universe is as robust as WH40K's, so you aren't missing anything there. MC is also scenario-based, just like SC.

If you want to go the fantasy route, here's what I'd say:

SC/MC = HeroQuest/Dark World
Doom = Descent

Fantasy Flight Games has got Gears of War in the works. My hope is that they use the game mechanics of Doom, but make it squad-based. Who knows when that will be released, though. I have actually toyed around with the idea of creating a ruleset for Doom using squads to get that SC feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Modern games that might give you that miniatures-y, trashy SC feel are actually relatively few but maybe Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game might do it for you. Its not very similar to Space Crusade but it is modern, pretty simple, trashy, about an hour long and good fun. It also has that "one against many" dynamic in common with SC.

Mutant Chronicles is very similar in complexity and "feel" to Space Crusade but isnt modern in any sense really. While I really enjoy the goofy figures and gaudy map boards it doesnt look modern in the same way that say Doom or Descent does, if thats the sort of modernity that you mean. It is great fun though.

Petru5 wrote:
To keep with the video game analogy, If SC is a Super Nintendo, Doom is a PS2, whereas Space Hulk would be a PS3.

I have to disagree with this Im afraid. Space Hulk is definitely less complex than Doom, its a PS1
Not that this means that either game is necessarily better or worse as a result or anything, I love them both.

Due to the fact that the Doom Marines have a variety of different modes that they can enter into each turn that each subsequently key off the variable power cards and variable weapons, it is a bit more complex.

Space Hulk is far more straightforward and easier to teach I have found. The main stumbling block is explaining how the three modes of firing the Storm Bolters work.

Neither games are very heavy though and both are great examples of advanced versions of Space Crusade. Assuming that an advanced version is what the OP actually wants, rather than something of the same complexity as SC that hapens to be more recent and possibly more easily available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheetor wrote:
Mutant Chronicles is very similar in complexity and "feel" to Space Crusade but isnt modern in any sense really. While I really enjoy the goofy figures and gaudy map boards it doesnt look modern in the same way that say Doom or Descent does, if thats the sort of modernity that you mean. It is great fun though.

No, MC isn't new. As someone else noted, it's as old as SC. It's cheaper than picking up a copy of SC and scratches the same itch.

cheetor wrote:
I have to disagree with this Im afraid. Space Hulk is definitely less complex than Doom, its a PS1

Hmm, perhaps it's the version I played, then. The gent that runs his big board 3D version at Recruits, our local gaming convention, is known for modding rules a bit.

The more I think about it, the more I see your point. There are probably just as many rules in Space Hulk as there are in Doom, but you have more options with the characters than in SH.

Back to the point for our fellow gamer, don't let this aside make you worry about Doom's complexity. It's not that complex. The basic mechanics are easily mastered and the game 'flows' well. I do truly love the sense of danger and impending doom (no pun intended) that are conveyed in every turn.

Okay, one last set of secondary recommendations:

1. Aliens - You can print out all the stuff you need from here on the Geek. It's sci-fi, it's fun and the Marines have a hard go of it. you can play the Flash version here at http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816.

2. Dead of Night - Fun zombie game. Free print & play. The maps probably should be printed at a printing services shop, as they'll eat your printer's ink.

3. Zombie Plague - Another free zombie game.

4. Lost Patrol - Print it all from the Geek! Two player game that is loads of fun and is based in the same universe as SC.

A few last comments on these...I know this isn't exactly what you are wanting, but they correlate well. They are almost all true co-op or one off co-op (one player is against everyone else). They all in some fashion capture the feel of what you're looking for. #2 & 3 are very similar in design, but are a lot cheaper than buying Last Night on Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:

I will throw another nod in for Doom. That is probably the most equivalent game that has come out in recent years. Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel is another game that came out at about the same time as Space Crusade that plays somewhat similar, and can be found usually for a little bit cheaper.

LA

Here's another vote for Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel. It plays very fast (esp. the first few missions) it has a near-perfect balance of simplicity/complexity and the bookkeeping regarding the advancement of your troopers is limited to putting the correct pegs in the correct holes on their character sheets.

I love Doom but I really wish they'd ripped off SotC's campaign model where the Overlord scores experience points for his marine based on his performance during a mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McEwen
United States
Ottawa Hills
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey gang,

Can't really comment on mondern games, but I did pick up SC not long ago on eBay. If you have patients, you can get it cheaper thatn 100. I got my complete set for 60 I think. The expansions are pricy however.

I also breifly owned MC back in the day. I perfered the Warhammer 40K verse more. However MC's universe is making a strong come back. I think there is going to be a movie or video game soon.

I too wish for more squad based blastem up games.

See ya,
Duncan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Tommasi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!! Another suggestion : Frag , from Steve Jackson Games.In my
opinion is the simplest game on this list ,it`s relatively new ( with a new
edition coming out) and with a couple of expansions to keep it interesting.
Frag is the very definition of beer and pretzels game : essentially the player is a soldier ( or a squad) out to kill everyone else , like in DooM
Deathmatch (video or boardgame).

Good Points: lots of weapons (from chainsaws to nukes), light character
development, different "modes" of play , humor.

Bad Points :No exploration (it`s basically an arena game),No atmosphere
(you only try to kill the other players),UGLY components(well
compared to SC ,SH ,MC and DooM!!!),maybe too simple.

Also this game is REALLY more fun with more than 2 players, and is very
easy to teach!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff ven
Belgium
antwerpen
borgerhout
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i where you (but i am not ) i would just save up the money and buy space crusade.
But now that Space hulk 3rd edition is beeing released you could ofcourse go with space hulk.
I own doom, descent and space hulk 3rd, when it comes to complexety i would say descent is the more complex game.
The problem with descent is that you either have to have a large group of players (5) or you could have one player controlling the bad guys and you take all 4 adventurers.
Te problem with this is that you will have so meany abbilitys and powers to keep track of that you will make mistakes and forget stuff allot.
The same gos for doom, sure doom is easyer then descent and has a more streamlined game mechanic but reading what you are looking for thats not the most important part of the game.
Then there is space hulk, witch has some simelaretys with SC but offcourse there are the small corridors unlike the open space you get with SC.
So final conclusion, go for SC .
I mean look at it as an investment, if you buy them now there as cheap as it is even gonna get and you will be able to resell them for at least the same amount.
You could also wait and pray that they make a new edition like they did space hulk but i wouldent count on it since space hulk was released by game workshop itself, and SC was released in coorperation with MB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.