Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Poll: Counter clipping poll
1. How do you clip your counters?
Freehand
Freehand, only clip the fluff (that is, I leave the counter with a square shape)
With a homemade jig (e.g. CD case jig)
With a commercial jig (e.g. C4 Counter Cutter)
I don't clip my counters
I play block wargames, and laugh at you chit pushers and your outdated components
I don't play wargames, and don't get what all the fuss is about
2. If you clip, why do you do it?
Improves appearance
Improves functionality
Improves longevity
It just feels right
I don't want other wargamers to make fun of me when I post pictures to BGG
I want to be on the right side when the revolution comes
3. If you don't clip, why not?
Takes too long
I dislike the appearance
I don't want my house to become a winter wonderland of chit fluff
I want to be on the right side when the revolution comes
      162 answers
Poll created by toku42
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not looking to become a rabbi. So I don't see the need to clip too many things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I just trim the fluff or not--I go for the "rounded corner" look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beveled edges are best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like square corners, I do clip the fluff though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played games with clipped counters and it sure looks nice, but I have neither the time nor patience to do it myself for my games.

I have clipped a few counters in extremis, and even then only because of excess chaff from the sprue or the cardboard counter equivalent of a hangnail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I gave up on counter clipping after I started playing ASL. After opening the Beyond Valor box, I realized that if I kept clipping all of my counters I wouldn't have time to do anything else (and that would include playing with them).

I kind of miss it, though. For Xmas this year, one of my wargame buddies got me a copy of the original Squad Leader. As a bonus, he clipped and sorted all of the counters before wrapping it up.

Yes, he's a good friend. He's also retired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blanton
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! Yes he must be a good friend. I clipped my SL counters, but like you ASL stuff is not clipped! 2 full sets would take forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I have clipped a few counters in extremis, and even then only because of excess chaff from the sprue or the cardboard counter equivalent of a hangnail.

That's how I started. I would clip or not depending entirely whether the game 'needed' it (notably clipping some eBay purchases that had been poorly punched rather than cut out).

Then I decided that AVL really needed it because the corners were snagging in the tight hexes.

After that, I decided I was clipping everything new. Now I'm going back and clipping my SFB counters, which I'd originally just cut out with an exacto (when they don't just fall out of the sheet...).

Current back-log:
Final (of 4) tray of cut SFB counters
Carthage
Valor of the Guards (played entirely on Vassal so far)
Unpunched SFB counters
F&E expansions (already did two copies of the base set)

As I normally do this while watching TV, the real problem is that I hardly watch any TV....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an obsessive clipper. I even clip (or trim) the little fuzzies off FFG game chits.

In the last three years I've bought over 100 wargames, some of them pretty large (Beyond Valor, Streets of Stalingrad, Devil's Cauldron etc) and they are all clipped and sorted into counter trays.

I even clip the extra blank counters. shake

One day I'll look at all the boxes and add up the number of counters.

I'm guessing its about 400 average per game x 100 or so hex and counter games x four corners = 160,000 clips /3 years /365 days = an average of 146 clips per day for the last three years.

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I luvs my C4. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Coincidentally, I am now as we speak clipping the counters for World in Flames. That's 36 counter sheets equaling 7,250 counters. ASL in all its glory is still on the to do list. For some reason my vision has become impaired. I see little shaded dots on everything I look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the "If you don't clip counters", there's no choice similar to "I've never seen the point", so I left it blank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames don't come ready-to-play. So, consider the analogy of a plastic model: You remove the parts from the sprue (punch counters from the frame) and then trim any flashing off the parts (clip the ragged corners off the counters) before you begin assembly (setting up the game).

Command magazine games always included the following instruction somewhere near the front of the rules: "Carefully punch out the counters. Trimming the 'dog ears' off their corners with a fingernail clipper will greatly facilitate their handling and stacking during play (and also enhances their appearance)." Sometimes they worded it a little differently, but trimming was always part of game prep.

So, who would be crazy enough to build a model without trimming the flashing? Sure you could do it, but it would look lousy.

Oh, and BTW, I make and sell the C4 Corner Cutter, with which you can knock out a monster game in a single evening--Perfect for ASLers. See www.daveking-c4.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.