Popular Tags: [View All]
Stokey Brown
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maschinen Plunger
mbmbmb
I don't understand why "Smallworld" could be considered to be a good choice for this game's title. The more I think about it, the more I think it might be the result of an uninformed translation from French.

"Smallworld" invokes the following imagery:

* Munchkins/Smurfs
* A terrible ride at Disneyland

It does not invoke:

*Civilization-building
*Fantasy warfare
*A land which is too small to contain all of its inhabitants.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does demonstrate a world too tiny for its inhabitants. "The adjective in front of noun format" also shows off one of the game mechanics that utilizes the interchangeable power cards in front of the races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
zurupeto wrote:
"Smallworld" invokes the following imagery:

* Munchkins/Smurfs
* A terrible ride at Disneyland

Have you seen the goofy graphic images?

That IS the image. They want you to think lighthearted stupid nonsense.

Beyond that, its spawned a ton of comments on various sites about the name, so I have to say Mission Accomplished to their marketing department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me think of a world of laughter, a world of tears. Maybe one of hopes and fears, too.

Geographically, it would have just one moon and one golden sun.

Languages would differ, but body language would be similar across nations, so a smile would mean friendship to everyone.

It would probably also be divided up by mountain ranges and have wide oceans.

I mean, it is a small world, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand it either. I wonder though if it's literal connotations in regards to the original game, Vinci, might have anything to do with the meaning of that word. This thread on the pronunciation and meaning of the word "Vinci" seems to come to a conclusion that one possible interpretation is "to be defeated" or "restrain". That interpretation would definitely complement the game's mechanics, especially the part about managing shrinking civilizations which are really the key to the game.

So if you consider that this managed shrinking if your previously powerful civilization into a "small world" is what is going to determine the winner, then this sort of indirectly inspired translation sort of makes sense. Now of course, none of this might be the actual reason they named it "small world", but it works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would work better if laughter and slaughter rhymed. Alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
It makes me think of a world of laughter, a world of tears. Maybe one of hopes and fears, too.

Geographically, it would have just one moon and one golden sun.

Languages would differ, but body language would be similar across nations, so a smile would mean friendship to everyone.

It would probably also be divided up by mountain ranges and have wide oceans.

I mean, it is a small world, after all.

CURSE YOU!

Could someone get this freakin song out of my head?!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me, DoW did pretty well with another game that shared its title with a song, a little thing called Ticket to Ride.

Since they're posturing this as a lighthearted game of conquest, I think it's a fine name. And I don't think you'll have trouble remembering it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that stupid song stuck in my head every time I visit the Small World page and its driving me crazy.

Otherwise I think the name's pretty clever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Karjalainen
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A world too small.

Better than Vinci...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Wonder is going to mimic Flying Frog Games by including a soundtrack CD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

I agree. The point is, why they want us to think that? Why make it look like a children's game? I mean, this game could have worked really well as a serious fantasy game of conquest, with gorgeous artwork and plastic miniatures. Instead, they use silly cartoonish art and cardboard tiles. It almost makes me think DoW is afraid of stepping on FFG's toes or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
It almost makes me think DoW is afraid of stepping on FFG's toes or something like that.

Or simply that they know their own aesthetic. There's really no accounting for taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm so glad that I think of the song "Small World" by Adrian Belew first. So, so glad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I agree. The point is, why they want us to think that? Why make it look like a children's game? I mean, this game could have worked really well as a serious fantasy game of conquest, with gorgeous artwork and plastic miniatures. Instead, they use silly cartoonish art and cardboard tiles. It almost makes me think DoW is afraid of stepping on FFG's toes or something like that.

To be honest, I find plastic miniatures more childish than cardboard tokens.

However, for the art I would also have preferred something like that (Amazons =
)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GSReis wrote:
[I mean, this game could have worked really well as a serious fantasy game of conquest, with gorgeous artwork and plastic miniatures.

Such (typically over-saturated and over-bulging) art and plastic miniatures do not suggest a serious game to me, fantasy or otherwise. Instead they suggest immaturity, hucksterism and crass humour. I'm not sure where serious fantasy fits in there if anywhere. Then again my model of serious fantasy looks a lot like China Miellville, Patricia McKillip and A A Attanasio, not Frank Frazetta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Or simply that they know their own aesthetic. There's really no accounting for taste.

Huh?... They released the tremendously successful BattleLore and had it until recently. All but one of their other big box games (Memoir '44, Ticket to Ride, Mystery of the Abbey, Pirate's Cove, Shadows over Camelot, Cleopatra and the Society of Architects) have plastic miniatures. None has goofy artwork, including the much lighter and also Fantasy-themed Fist of Dragonstones. How on Earth is that their "own aesthetic"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Such (typically over-saturated and over-bulging) art and plastic miniatures do not suggest a serious game to me, fantasy or otherwise. Instead they suggest immaturity, hucksterism and crass humour.

I'm certain most (if not all) FFG's fans will disagree. Saying that plastic miniatures suggest immaturity (implying they are toys) is pure prejudice and snobbery. But you seem to take pleasure in disagreeing with everyone else, thus I'm not surprised.

Anyway, when I say "serious Fantasy", I mean "serious" as far as games are concerned. In relation to artwork, I use it in opposition to "comic" or "cartoonish". No-one said it has to be "over-saturated and over-bulging".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One day I'm going to return to Disneyland Paris and go on the ride again having taken acid or something. It would be some experience!

Anyway I'm a bit meh on the whole theme anyway BUT the fact it seems to be a bit more tongue in cheek and cutesy actually ADDS to the appeal for me so I guess I'm the target - average gamer who isn't so loving towards fantasy themes and who has friends who are more likely to play this kind of game than one bristling with heavily reinforced fantasy themes.

There's plenty of fantasy games out there anyway with the miniatures, the muscley pictures and the ample bosoms. Variety is the spice of life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
There's plenty of fantasy games out there anyway with the miniatures, the muscley pictures and the ample bosoms.

But not on the Euro side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Saying that plastic miniatures suggest immaturity (implying they are toys) is pure prejudice and snobbery.

And saying that a serious fantasy game requires miniatures rather than counters is also pure prejudice and snobbery.

Personally, I prefer counters. They don't need to be painted to look good, they don't take up unnecessary storage space and you can have information printed right on them.

As for goofy artwork, have you taken a look at those dwarven bagpipers for Battlelore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GSReis wrote:
Saying that plastic miniatures suggest immaturity (implying they are toys) is pure prejudice and snobbery.

No, not the toys.

Quote:
Anyway, when I say "serious Fantasy", I mean "serious" as far as games are concerned. In relation to artwork, I use it in opposition to "comic" or "cartoonish".

While there are certainly serious treatments of many other areas (eg the 18xx, various wargames, most of the Splotter games, combinatorials/abstracts etc) there seem to be few serious games dressed in fantasy clothing. I guess Iron Dragon, ElfenRoads and perhaps UR 1830 BC will have to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:
There's plenty of fantasy games out there anyway with the miniatures, the muscley pictures and the ample bosoms.

But not on the Euro side!
Off course not. If it had it would no longer be a 'euro', but an 'Ameritrash' game

European publishers make games for their customers. The French like goofy cartoons, the designer and the development team are French. The publisher is half French, half American.

Vinci was a light wargame with a civilisation theme. Wargames don't sell very well on the German market, which is still the most important market in the world. By changing the theme have they ensured the game a chance on the German market.

Miniatures are expensive, cardboard not. Vinci doesn't even lend itself nicely to miniatures, as they are pretty hard to stack. The original wooden tokens were even less expensive, but DoW has a reputation for nice bits, and the cardboard chits has the added bonus of making the rules simpler (no more artificial restrictions on declining empires), so their solution is absolutely brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

If anything, I'd think that an adult would be more open to a light hearted fantasy, than a serious fantasy. Frankly, I'd rather read Winnie the Pooh than a serious fantasy novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goris
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think DoW are a very smart and professional outfit. Their aim in making Small World is to make money, not make the top 100 on BGG (although that would be a bonus). I imagine that the name, theme and graphics are all designed to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. That's ten-year olds, their parents and more serious gamers. Small World will most likely be far more successful than Vinci ever was. And by successful, I mean sales and profits, not necessarily rankings.

I personally was interested in acquiring Vinci, but have been put off by the long playtime. I mostly play games on week nights and 2.5 hour games rarely get played. 1-1.5 hour games on the other hand are pretty much the main course at every games night. For me, Small World has great appeal and I love the graphics. The name and theme are pretty good too, although none of these are nearly as important to me as gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.