Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here is what the action card would do:

+1 Card
+1 Action
+2 Coins

A silver that replaces itself. My initial inclination is that it would cost 5 at the least. How much do you think it should cost?

And what kind of flavor could you put on this card for a title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a 5 cost card, but I'm not sure we really need another card so close to the Festival or Market.

The Market is probably the better distribution with +1 buy and only 1 less coin for 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it a Flea Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It's strictly better than the Market if you don't care about +buys. +buys are nice, but not awesome. It trades off one +action of the Festival for +1 card. That would seem to make them about equal, but the lack of +cards is the Festival's big weakness. It doesn't do much by itself. If you don't have another action card in your hand, it may as well be a Woodcutter. If it had a +1 card, then you would have a chance to draw another action card with that draw. You could also make a fairly big chain out of just Festivals.

In some circumstances, I've seen people Chapel down and buy up a deck of just Markets, and do pretty well. Most turns they can play 4 or 5 Markets. They don't have to have them all in their hand at the start of the turn. They have some chance to draw one or two as they go. If they play nothing else, they still have five cards in hand and probably have the 3 or 4 coins worth of treasure needed to buy a Province.

Imagine the same strategy with your card. Now they have 8 or 10 coins just from their action card +coins, plus whatever's in their hand. All that money is not very useful without +buys, but they don't need many +buys, just one. Add one Market or one Woodcutter.

I say it should cost 6. That might not seem like a big difference, but I think it's more than 20% harder to get a 6-coin turn than a 5-coin turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would have to cost more than $6. It's worth $2 plus the value of another random card from your deck, with no action cost, and the latter should be between $1 and $2 most of the time. Clearly it's worth more than a Gold in most situations. Note that adding $1 to the value of a Silver increases its cost by $3; if you applied that same rule to the Market then you would get a cost of $8 for this card (less the value of an extra buy which usually isn't much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses.

My initial inclination is that it should cost 6. I feel that 8 is too much - mostly because it is really hard to justify buying anything but a province at 8, and i dont feel this would be the right buy most of the time.

I could see 7. 7 Is a slot that you hit fairly often, and being able to buy a lot of these would clearly win you the game, and quickly.

At the same time, this card is by no means always better than gold. Think of situations when you draw into cards with no extra actions - this card is dead, a gold is most definately not.

Plus, a gold is what you are 'digging' for generally with cards like this (village, market, lab, library, adventurer, smithy, etc).

I dont think it is too 'close' to the market. That would be like saying laboratory is too close to the village, and the cards play out somewhat differently.

6 or 7 seems right. i might have to do some testing.

haha, Flea Market. Nice. I was thinking something along the lines of "Trade Route" or "Harbor".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saan wrote:
At the same time, this card is by no means always better than gold. Think of situations when you draw into cards with no extra actions - this card is dead, a gold is most definately not.

Sure. But most people try to avoid those situations.

I'll only note that most people tend to undervalue their own creations, because they want them to get played. There's a psychological effect that leads people not to propose cards that are less frequently going to be chosen, even though that describes much of what's in Dominion now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.